View Poll Results: Which tax system is most 'fair'?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Progressive Tax

    90 42.25%
  • Regressive Tax

    0 0%
  • Flat Percentage Tax Rate

    104 48.83%
  • Flat Dollar Tax

    5 2.35%
  • Other

    14 6.57%
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 327

Thread: Which tax system is most 'fair'

  1. #141
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what happened to your promise to ignore me?

    the vast majority of the rich are rich because they worked harder and smarter than people like you. Did you think every kid who made better grades than you in HS or College cheated?
    Apathy can pass. Them rich people are so smrt.

    One of the most brilliant people on the planet?
    Last edited by Gabriel; 07-11-10 at 09:58 PM.

  2. #142
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    That wouldn't work.
    It worked fine up until 1916 when the welfare/warfare state was created. The problem is the federal government is doing things that are not powers they were delegated in the Constitution.

  3. #143
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Apathy can pass. Them rich people are so smrt.
    the vast majority of rich people are far smarter than the vast majority of wanna bees. No doubt about that. BUt the most virulent form of wanna bee is the wanna bee who thinks he is smart and thus should be paid well only to find out that his employer or the market values his intellect at a far lower and more realistic level. That is the sort of person most likely to whine about the rich and to claim that the only reason why others are rich and he is not is because they cheated him.



  4. #144
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    It worked fine up until 1916 when the welfare/warfare state was created. The problem is the federal government is doing things that are not powers they were delegated in the Constitution.
    This is perhaps the best and most succinct explanation of why our federal government is out of control now.

    FDR and LBJ only accentuated that cluster foxtrot



  5. #145
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What creates class warfare is a widening of the gap between the wealthy socially privileged and the underprivileged working poor. Many wealthy have done nothing or do very little compared to working class citizens.. They don't have to.

    Your argument does not get to the heart of the matter. The axiom of needs having cost to live in a capitalist society is a greater cost to low income people then wealthy. The wealthy spend a microscopic percentage of their money on needs. Hence forth in a consumer market where such a large percentage of the population lives and works a flat tax is disproportionately punishing to the working class.

    A flat tax is less fair to the working class and increases the wealth of the upper economic strata by differing it to lower incomes.

    A flat tax is not appropriate a progressive taxation is by far more egalitarian and fair. Arguing the rich deserve all the money they have is blatantly morally and intellectually dishonest. One can only rationalise that it is done out of shear political ideological partisanship and nauseating to anyone with a sense of fairness. You have no argument. You are suggesting working poor don't work? The wealthy deserve what they get from swindling the poor on cost of labour and selling the goods derived from that at a higher value then they paid for it.
    How the wealthy got wealthy in the first place was because the government(s) didn't levy a death tax until the late 1890's. Parents could pass along sizeable fortunes to their descendents that then took the money their parents earned to use as capital in business that created even more money. Who cares who created the wealth to begin with since it's their property. I have yet to meet a so-called socialist that believes in wealth distribution to actually voluntarily give up their money to the poor. They have to get a third party armed with guns and quasi-legal authority to do it for them. You want to help the poor and the downtrodden then give up all of your money voluntarily to the government for redistribution. In short, put your money where your mouth is.

  6. #146
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,106

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    All Americans Pay Taxes
    Those Who Pay No Federal Income Taxes Pay Other Types of Taxes, Most of Which Take More from the Poor and Middle Class than from the Rich
    oh no doubt. mind you, you need to account for the negative income tax . for example, last year i think my income was around the 34,000 range; so my 15% of income tax plus 7.65% comes out to me paying $7,700 in taxes. but then i got about 4,500 back after my exemptions came through; so i guess i only paid around 2 grand, or about 6.5%.

    but yes, the FICA tax is regressive (which i agree is BS), and the payroll tax unecessarily hurts the poor and small business owner; which is why I am in favor of replacing them all with the actually more progressive FairTax.

  7. #147
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the vast majority of rich people are far smarter than the vast majority of wanna bees. No doubt about that. BUt the most virulent form of wanna bee is the wanna bee who thinks he is smart and thus should be paid well only to find out that his employer or the market values his intellect at a far lower and more realistic level. That is the sort of person most likely to whine about the rich and to claim that the only reason why others are rich and he is not is because they cheated him.
    lmao.. well at least you can console yourself in the idea your comic relief for all the un-wealthy stupids peoples.

  8. #148
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,106

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Apathy can pass. Them rich people are so smrt.

    One of the most brilliant people on the planet?
    the vast majority of millionaires are first-generation. small business owners and the like.

  9. #149
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    lmao.. well at least you can console yourself in the idea your comic relief for all the un-wealthy stupids peoples.
    Laugh all you want, You are the one who is upset you are not wealthy and whining at those who are.



  10. #150
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    How the wealthy got wealthy in the first place was because the government(s) didn't levy a death tax until the late 1890's. Parents could pass along sizeable fortunes to their descendents that then took the money their parents earned to use as capital in business that created even more money. Who cares who created the wealth to begin with since it's their property. I have yet to meet a so-called socialist that believes in wealth distribution to actually voluntarily give up their money to the poor. They have to get a third party armed with guns and quasi-legal authority to do it for them. You want to help the poor and the downtrodden then give up all of your money voluntarily to the government for redistribution. In short, put your money where your mouth is.
    Well lets just eliminate taxation all together since we can't come up with a fair one for all the living.

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •