View Poll Results: Which tax system is most 'fair'?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Progressive Tax

    90 42.25%
  • Regressive Tax

    0 0%
  • Flat Percentage Tax Rate

    104 48.83%
  • Flat Dollar Tax

    5 2.35%
  • Other

    14 6.57%
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 327

Thread: Which tax system is most 'fair'

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Rich got richer, paid more taxes under Bush
    It's got nothing to do with revenue generation.

    It has nothing to do with fairness.

    It has EVERYTHING to do with envy.

    I was posting to one of the DNC's useful idiots (they're everywhere), and he was whining that some Wall Street executive made four billion dollars and ONLY paid 15% tax on it.

    I asked him why he felt that anyone paying $600,000,000 in taxes isn't paying enough, and the guy vanished.

    I say there should be an upper limit on how much taxes any one person has to pay, and that limit should be a hell of a lot less than half a billion dollars, no matter how much money they make in a year.

  2. #122
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    The fairest tax is no tax. The second fairest tax is where everyone pays the same amount. The third fairest tax is where everyone pays the same %. None of these are feasible. We need to accept the inherent unfairness of taxes but also accept that no taxes would be even worse.
    Well I think what you have to consider matters of fairness in a particular way to see no taxation as the most fair.

    No taxation would result in no government and anarchy outright. It would be a disaster.

    The second fairest tax according to you based on flat taxation where everyone pays the same tax does not consider that finances in terms of having dollars to spend has a bottom. A flat tax hits the lowest income bracket far more then the upper income bracket. So according to this logic if you have less money then someone with far more wealth to pay for needs/wants, it is somehow fair for you to have less money available for needs. Because you do have less money for needs it creates smaller pool of wealth available for wants. The person with less money has to spend a larger percent of his money on needs then the person with more money. When a person works for money equivalent to the poverty line or less they spend a greater portion of their money on needs under a flat tax system. A flat tax disproportionately punishes low income.

    A progressive taxation does tax people with more total available money to spend then the people with less money to spend. However one only has to consider the means by which they attain that larger portion of wealth to reason they should indeed pay more. Many wealthy employ people who work for less then the poverty line.. so it is clear that the wealthy have created more wealth from people who are under huge income pressure in more of a parasitic manner then a symbiotic way the wealthy make wealth from the less fortunate. Many wealthy people don't do anything but invest their capital while the working poor are busy making them the money they live a privileged life from.

    A progressive tax makes it possible for the wealthy to re-contribute to society via public services that their less fortunate social counterparts should indeed benefit from. A progressive taxation is the most fair considering the costs of needs on the lowest income bracket. More importantly from an economic sense in a consumer economy it makes sense for the wealthy to want consumers to have money to spend.

    I personally think libertarians need to re-evaluate their idea of what fair is.

  3. #123
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Well I think what you have to consider matters of fairness in a particular way to see no taxation as the most fair.

    No taxation would result in no government and anarchy outright. It would be a disaster.

    The second fairest tax according to you based on flat taxation where everyone pays the same tax does not consider that finances in terms of having dollars to spend has a bottom. A flat tax hits the lowest income bracket far more then the upper income bracket. So according to this logic if you have less money then someone with far more wealth to pay for needs/wants, it is somehow fair for you to have less money available for needs. Because you do have less money for needs it creates smaller pool of wealth available for wants. The person with less money has to spend a larger percent of his money on needs then the person with more money. When a person works for money equivalent to the poverty line or less they spend a greater portion of their money on needs under a flat tax system. A flat tax disproportionately punishes low income.

    A progressive taxation does tax people with more total available money to spend then the people with less money to spend. However one only has to consider the means by which they attain that larger portion of wealth to reason they should indeed pay more. Many wealthy employ people who work for less then the poverty line.. so it is clear that the wealthy have created more wealth from people who are under huge income pressure in more of a parasitic manner then a symbiotic way the wealthy make wealth from the less fortunate. Many wealthy people don't do anything but invest their capital while the working poor are busy making them the money they live a privileged life from.

    A progressive tax makes it possible for the wealthy to re-contribute to society via public services that their less fortunate social counterparts should indeed benefit from. A progressive taxation is the most fair considering the costs of needs on the lowest income bracket. More importantly from an economic sense in a consumer economy it makes sense for the wealthy to want consumers to have money to spend.

    I personally think libertarians need to re-evaluate their idea of what fair is.
    Nonsense-those who are rich-for the most part-worked very very hard to obtain that. And life isn't fair. The job of the government should not be to punish success. YOu concept of fairness is not universal nor based on reality. IF we started from scratch and asked what sort of government we should have, those who are smart and talented would not agree to a government that punishes them in favor of those who contribute little or nothing. Those who have no talent or skill are not able to bargain from a position of strength and could not make the productive people join a government that caters to the dependents.

    the bottom line is that if the poor continue to vote up the taxes of the productive, the productive are going to leave and the untalented are going to starve.



  4. #124
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I know this will never happen but it would be interesting to see the tax returns of those who clamor for more taxes on the rich. I suspect that would shed a great deal of light on what motivates those who scream for others to pay more taxes. It is also the biggest problem with the progressive taxes-it appeals to class envy and gives congress untold extra-constitutional power by such pandering.
    Class warfare and racism are the central tenets to progressivism. That's what.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #125
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Class warfare and racism are the central tenets to progressivism. That's what.
    I agree with the class warfare part. People who think it died or doesn't exist are deluding themselves.

  6. #126
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Class warfare and racism are the central tenets to progressivism. That's what.
    true progress is towards a society where we need less and less government. current progressives are actually going away from that ideal towards universal serfdom



  7. #127
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Nonsense-those who are rich-for the most part-worked very very hard to obtain that. And life isn't fair. The job of the government should not be to punish success. YOu concept of fairness is not universal nor based on reality. IF we started from scratch and asked what sort of government we should have, those who are smart and talented would not agree to a government that punishes them in favor of those who contribute little or nothing. Those who have no talent or skill are not able to bargain from a position of strength and could not make the productive people join a government that caters to the dependents.

    the bottom line is that if the poor continue to vote up the taxes of the productive, the productive are going to leave and the untalented are going to starve.
    What creates class warfare is a widening of the gap between the wealthy socially privileged and the underprivileged working poor. Many wealthy have done nothing or do very little compared to working class citizens.. They don't have to.

    Your argument does not get to the heart of the matter. The axiom of needs having cost to live in a capitalist society is a greater cost to low income people then wealthy. The wealthy spend a microscopic percentage of their money on needs. Hence forth in a consumer market where such a large percentage of the population lives and works a flat tax is disproportionately punishing to the working class.

    A flat tax is less fair to the working class and increases the wealth of the upper economic strata by differing it to lower incomes.

    A flat tax is not appropriate a progressive taxation is by far more egalitarian and fair. Arguing the rich deserve all the money they have is blatantly morally and intellectually dishonest. One can only rationalise that it is done out of shear political ideological partisanship and nauseating to anyone with a sense of fairness. You have no argument. You are suggesting working poor don't work? The wealthy deserve what they get from swindling the poor on cost of labour and selling the goods derived from that at a higher value then they paid for it.

  8. #128
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Born Rich.. documentary. Is so hard for these people. Enjoy.


  9. #129
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Born Rich.. documentary. Is so hard for these people. Enjoy.

    You're really great at posting useless off-topic stuff.

  10. #130
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-21-11 @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    471

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Born Rich.. documentary. Is so hard for these people. Enjoy.
    Statists like you make it easy for them. PROTIP: for the most part, the super-rich never bear the brunt of State banditry, i.e., taxation. They can always find a way to buy their way out. No wonder the Democratic Party is the #1 party of billionaires. The Republican Party is #2. The Libertarian Party isn't even on the radar. The State is and always has been in bed with the parasitic capitalist classes as opposed to self-made entrepreneurs. Statists work overtime to make life ever easier for the former and harder for the latter.
    Pan-Humanist Movement
    “The only real nation is humanity” ~ Paul Farmer

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •