View Poll Results: What do you think the role of the U.S. Government should be? Check all that apply.

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Protect it's citizen's rights.

    30 90.91%
  • Protect citizen's from national disasters and provide aid in such events.

    21 63.64%
  • Re-distribute the wealth.

    7 21.21%
  • Make retirement funds mandatory to pay into.

    8 24.24%
  • Make healthcare funds mandatory to pay into.

    7 21.21%
  • Give you free healthcare.

    6 18.18%
  • Maintain roads.

    20 60.61%
  • Manage buisiness.

    4 12.12%
  • Other (please discuss in post)

    11 33.33%
  • None of the above

    1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 81

Thread: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

  1. #51
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    What do you mean by sound? You keep mentioning sound arguments, but I don't know what you mean by that word.
    Validity and Soundness*[The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]
    How can you say you arrived at your position thru reason when you do not know what a sound argument is?

    Oh that. As far as I can tell, the word arm means weapon
    I didnt ask you that. I asked abut the right to a gun. You -clearly- have the fundamental right to a gun.
    Why does your "right = extitlement to means" argument not apply?

    If you can get enough of society to agree with it and reinterpret any laws, precedent, etc that get in your way, there is nothing I can do to stop you.
    You are dodging the issue.

  2. #52
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    I have no problem with what you said except this part. Why should the government have anything to do with lending themselves to spiritual growth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Because it promotes the general welfare!!!
    Even if he's being sarcastic, he's correct. And because, fundamentally, that's what the government is as an extension of the will and spiritual being of the people. The government's role is reinforcing the self-perpetuation of the people it is a part of.

  3. #53
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Even if he's being sarcastic, he's correct. And because, fundamentally, that's what the government is as an extension of the will and spiritual being of the people. The government's role is reinforcing the self-perpetuation of the people it is a part of.
    naw. I knew the answer.

  4. #54
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Even if he's being sarcastic, he's correct. And because, fundamentally, that's what the government is as an extension of the will and spiritual being of the people. The government's role is reinforcing the self-perpetuation of the people it is a part of.
    I think our definition of spirititual varies a bit.

  5. #55
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Validity and Soundness*[The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]
    How can you say you arrived at your position thru reason when you do not know what a sound argument is?
    I know what the definition is, but you seem to be applying a different meaning to the word, I was more interested in your view. You seem to label an argument as unsound if you happen to disagree with it, not if it is illogical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I didnt ask you that. I asked abut the right to a gun. You -clearly- have the fundamental right to a gun.
    Why does your "right = extitlement to means" argument not apply?
    Than you are asking the wrong question or perhaps the right question in the wrong way. Given the way you have worded it originally, I have given the answer. The second amendment is about the right to bear arms and it does apply for reasons I just stated. I guess we have different interpretations of the meaning of the word, which is fine since the constitution is open to interpretation

    I am curious why you think we have a right to a gun when the constitution does not say gun, forearm, projectile weapon, etc. It says arms and that can mean damn well anything that is a weapon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You are dodging the issue.
    No, thats how I feel about the subject. I have thought my stance on things through and I see one possible end result of my ideas as me being possibly persecuted and decided that while it was possible it was a small enough possibility that it was not worth worrying about.

  6. #56
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I know what the definition is, but you seem to be applying a different meaning to the word
    No. I am not.
    Now, lay out the sound argument that led you to, and supports your selective application of, your conclusion that having a right necessarily includes an entitlement to the means necesary to exercise said right.

    Than you are asking the wrong question or perhaps the right question in the wrong way.
    Please don't continue to dodge the question.
    Why does your "right = extitlement to means" argument not apply to the right to a gun.

    No, thats how I feel about the subject. I have thought my stance on things through and I see one possible end result of my ideas as me being possibly persecuted and decided that while it was possible it was a small enough possibility that it was not worth worrying about.
    LOL
    "Its OK because I dont think I'll ever have to worry about the tables being turned"
    That's rich.

  7. #57
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No. I am not.
    I wonder because you have yet to show why my arguments are not logical and this leads me to wonder whether you simply oppose them because you do not personally like them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Now, lay out the sound argument that led you to, and supports your selective application of, your conclusion that having a right necessarily includes an entitlement to the means necesary to exercise said right.
    I believe that a right that cannot be exercised is not really a right, but something people simply declare to be a right. So if we say something is a right, than it has to be exercisable. As such, I make no distinction between a thereotical right and a right in physical reality as I do not believe a distinction is valid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Please don't continue to dodge the question.
    Why does your "right = extitlement to means" argument not apply to the right to a gun.
    Because the constitution says arms. You accuse me of dodging, but this is my real, actual belief.

    However, I will go on a hypothetical to get you off my back since you seem fixated on this. Lets assume the second amendment states guns and not arms. I would look at the cost of a program to give everyone guns, what the minimum adequate gun was, whether safety training and licensing was necessary and other potential issues. If it is something the country could afford than I would probably go for it, if not, I would wait until something changes and guns became cheaper or something else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    LOL
    "Its OK because I dont think I'll ever have to worry about the tables being turned"
    That's rich.
    I think there is a low possibility of it.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 07-09-10 at 06:28 PM.

  8. #58
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Since government is created by people to create a structure for their society, based on the people of that society's needs, morals, and mores, the government role should be whatever the people of that society deem it to be.
    I disagree

    that causes tyranny



  9. #59
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Since government is created by people to create a structure for their society, based on the people of that society's needs, morals, and mores, the government role should be whatever the people of that society deem it to be.
    It feels that the majority of people feel the role of the gov't should be a redistributor of wealth. A majority of people, though they are in the majority, can be wrong. The government needs to be set up so that such immoral acts cannot be done, even if it benefits 'the majority' of people. It is simply not sustainable.

  10. #60
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I disagree

    that causes tyranny
    I disagree. It only causes tyranny if the people want tyranny.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •