View Poll Results: What do you think the role of the U.S. Government should be? Check all that apply.

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Protect it's citizen's rights.

    30 90.91%
  • Protect citizen's from national disasters and provide aid in such events.

    21 63.64%
  • Re-distribute the wealth.

    7 21.21%
  • Make retirement funds mandatory to pay into.

    8 24.24%
  • Make healthcare funds mandatory to pay into.

    7 21.21%
  • Give you free healthcare.

    6 18.18%
  • Maintain roads.

    20 60.61%
  • Manage buisiness.

    4 12.12%
  • Other (please discuss in post)

    11 33.33%
  • None of the above

    1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 81

Thread: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    That and as technology improves, so does documentation of daily life.

    But I appreciate you being my google proxy
    Ok, so far I've got this.
    It shows the trend in people retiring in their elder years before SS.
    Economic History of Retirement in the United States | Economic History Services

    It's hard to find information because when you type in "life before social security", you get links to things talking about retiring in modern times before you can collect SS.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #42
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Really.
    What sound argument led to your conclusion that to havea right creates an entitlementto the means to exercise that right, and what sound argument led you to your selective application of said conclusion?
    As to the sound argument thing, I think I have stated it before multiple times. But I will do it once more, I believe that if a person has a right and is unable to exercise it, that right is effectively useless and might as well not exist because in practice it is the same thing.

    I know you don't think this argument is sound, but honestly, I don't care if you think it is sound or not. I will continue to believe what I believe until I see a good reason not to.

    As far as selective application, I am not sure what you mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I am sure that if it ever happens, you will be among the first to squal like a stuck pig.
    But, sonce what's good for the goose is good for the gander, your complaints will have absolutely no standing.
    Maybe, maybe not, it depends on what you are voting for. If you are trying to do harm to me, I certainly would complain and try to change things. But you are right, my complains do not have to have meaning to you if you choose to ignore them.

  3. #43
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Ok, so far I've got this.
    It shows the trend in people retiring in their elder years before SS.
    Economic History of Retirement in the United States | Economic History Services

    It's hard to find information because when you type in "life before social security", you get links to things talking about retiring in modern times before you can collect SS.
    Thrown into bookmarks, I will try to go through it this weekend.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Thrown into bookmarks, I will try to go through it this weekend.
    I just shows trends and talks about defined benefit pensions.
    Not as good as I would want but it's ok.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #45
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    So the government should have an active role in religion? No.
    Not necessarily, but the government should promote conditions that lend themselves to spiritual growth and uphold public moral sentiment.

  6. #46
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I believe that if a person has a right and is unable to exercise it, that right is effectively useless and might as well not exist because in practice it is the same thing.
    How is this sound?

    As far as selective application, I am not sure what you mean.
    You only apply it to certain rights.
    For instance, you do not believe your argument applies to poor people that cannot afford to buy a gun.

    Maybe, maybe not, it depends on what you are voting for
    I plan to take away all the choices you believe you should have and give you choices you do not like.

    You'll not like it, and you will complain - but since your position is that its perfectly OK for you do to the same thing to me, you'll have no standing in your complaints.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 07-09-10 at 03:41 PM.

  7. #47
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    should promote conditions that lend themselves to spiritual growth
    I have no problem with what you said except this part. Why should the government have anything to do with lending themselves to spiritual growth?

  8. #48
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    I have no problem with what you said except this part. Why should the government have anything to do with lending themselves to spiritual growth?
    Because it promotes the general welfare!!!


  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I wonder how many of the people that agree with you/thanked you understand the full implication of what you said here.
    Knowing the political affiliation of those that thanked my post, I'm pretty sure they did. The only one who surprised me was rivrrat... though she's the one person on this forum who will surprise me, consistently, when she agrees with me.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #50
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What do you think the roll of the U.S. Government should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    How is this sound?
    What do you mean by sound? You keep mentioning sound arguments, but I don't know what you mean by that word.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You only apply it to certain rights.
    For instance, you do not believe your argument applies to poor people that cannot afford to buy a gun.
    Oh that. As far as I can tell, the word arm means weapon (I just looked it up, the dictionary says weapon ). You use just about anything as a weapon. I don't see what the big deal is. I think that practicality has to be balanced with intervention. In other words, if it is practical and easy to someone to do something than I don't think it is the concern of government to intervene (in this case grab a broom stick and hit someone in the head) whereas if enough of society has issues doing something I consider a right, I think the government should help. Now, I can see where you think I am selectively doing things as you seem to want all or nothing with everything, but I think the line to make these sorts of determination are fuzzy and not always easy to discover. Also, you have to consider practical matters such as whether we have the resources to accomplish the goal or if it would get in the way of other important things.

    Ultimately it means every case is unique with its own considerations and constraints and that is where smart people will disagree even if they have the same ideology that I do. Its a messy system, but I think overall it is a good one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I plan to take away all the choices you believe you should and give you choices you do not like.
    You'll not like it, and you will complain - but since your position is that its perfectly OK for you do to the same thing to me, you'll have no standing in your complaints.
    If you can get enough of society to agree with it and change/reinterpret any laws, precedent, etc that get in your way, there is nothing I can do to stop you. But I am not too worried about your ability to make that happen.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 07-09-10 at 03:49 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •