View Poll Results: Should the words "under god" be removed from the pledge?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 59.09%
  • No

    18 40.91%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 85

Thread: Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

  1. #61
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mell View Post
    I dont see why we should all have to put of with things, just because they have been around for a long time. And, history could be considered an attack on those who have not had a fair role in creating it. The Christians and Christianity should get out of politics.
    Are Christians and Christianity not worthy of representation? Does being a Christian preclude you from having a voice in the governance of your own country? Or Muslim, Jew, or Hindu, for that matter? Are only atheists qualified to govern the poor, ignorant religious masses?

  2. #62
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    It is not merely a matter of putting up with things just because it has been around for a while. It has been around with us for long enough that it is apart of our identity; the majority of the time, working for us rather than against us.

    Few could understand how the removal of religion would dramatically reduce violence. I would be among those who finds your sentiments rather naive. Perhaps along the way, such sentiments would resemble Luddites-destroying what they dislike, but without any conception for what they would use to replace that which they destroy.
    You use the word 'Us' way too liberally.

    As for the second paragraph, something as sweeping and judgemental as that is not worth responsing to. Few could understand eh? Well, believe that about anyone who does not agree with you, if you insist. I wont be responding to any more of that type of dogmatic nonsense in this thread though.

  3. #63
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

    There was always that difficult discussion about the Christian's role in politics, before and during America. Regardless, I came to the conclusion that I may disagree with some of "the agenda" (if it can be called one), but it is silly to remove their voice-as we benefit from it.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #64
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Are Christians and Christianity not worthy of representation?
    As human beings they are worthy of political representation, like all other human beings are. But, religion and being religious should be optional, and should never be compulsary or included in things like the pledge.

  5. #65
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mell View Post
    You use the word 'Us' way too liberally.

    As for the second paragraph, something as sweeping and judgemental as that is not worth responsing to. Few could understand eh? Well, believe that about anyone who does not agree with you, if you insist. I wont be responding to any more of that type of dogmatic nonsense in this thread though.
    Your posts were also sweeping, judgmental, and dogmatic nonsense.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #66
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    There was always that difficult discussion about the Christian's role in politics, before and during America. Regardless, I came to the conclusion that I may disagree with some of "the agenda" (if it can be called one), but it is silly to remove their voice-as we benefit from it.
    When Christians get a self righteous and dogmatic, this should be ignored.

  7. #67
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

    So does every interest group. Why isolate Christians, who constitute a great overwhelming majority of voters? Perhaps not in a specific political platform, but at least in an identity, they are Christians. Their voice does count, and has a significant impulse for America.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 07-12-10 at 04:25 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #68
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Your posts were also sweeping, judgmental, and dogmatic nonsense.
    My posts do not support a sexist, anti gay, child sexual abuse cover up... organistation such as Christianity. That can hardly be described as judgemental, when it is in fact the truth, unlike what the Christians spout as their version of the truth. Christianity is an offensive, disgusting corrupt... cult and just because it was developed when the public was generally too uneducated and unsophisticated to understand what it was teaching, does not mean it should continue now.

    Anyway, this is a political site, to discuss politics. Surely, there are some Christian sites somewhere on the fringes of the internet where you can find others who are interested in mulling over your beliefs with you. I am not interested in this rubbish, except to say it should be taken out of the political area.

  9. #69
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Perhaps not in a specific political platform, but at least in an identity, they are Christians. Their voice does count, and has a significant impulse for America.
    The Christian identity would not bother me, if they respected the rights of others, and if they were not hypocrites. But, their propaganda like all propaganda should be kept for their own entertainment, rather than used to try to influence in a political way.

  10. #70
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mell View Post
    My posts do not support a sexist, anti gay, child sexual abuse cover up... organistation such as Christianity. That can hardly be described as judgemental, when it is in fact the truth, unlike what the Christians spout as their version of the truth. Christianity is an offensive, disgusting corrupt... cult and just because it was developed when the public was generally too uneducated and unsophisticated to understand what it was teaching, does not mean it should continue now.

    Anyway, this is a political site, to discuss politics. Surely, there are some Christian sites somewhere on the fringes of the internet where you can find others who are interested in mulling over your beliefs with you. I am not interested in this rubbish, except to say it should be taken out of the political area.
    Your enormous bias against an entire religion is clouding the fact that your arguments are mostly political.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •