View Poll Results: Does a father have the right to stop an abortion?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, mother's choice only.

    43 65.15%
  • Yes, a father has rights too.

    16 24.24%
  • abortion should be illegal.

    7 10.61%
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 161 to 166 of 166

Thread: Does the father have a right to stop an abortion?

  1. #161
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,327

    Re: Does the father have a right to stop an abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    A man who wants children should find a woman who wishes to bear his children and help him raise them, and then marry her. Until then, he simply should not get attached to children that might not be his.

    In the current legal situation, your point makes pragmatic sense.

    However, it could be construed as "be careful who you have sex with, especially unprotected sex, and be aware there may be consequences involving either unwanted pregnancy or abortion, because those decisions may be made without you but still affect you profoundly."

    While this is true, the flip side is that when anyone tries to tell that same truth to women in general, screams of indignation and cries of "my body my choice" echo to the very heavens.

    The current situation is far from legally balanced between the two individuals who collaborated to make the baby and who may be held responsible for the child for up to 18 years.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #162
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Does the father have a right to stop an abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    So when a man wants to get a vasectomy, should his wife also have to approve of the procedure before he gets it?
    Are you saying having a child is equal to severing a vein in the male genetalia?

    I get your point, however I disagree with the "majority" it would seem. I believe that if it took two to create the child, it should take two to make the decision to fulfill or terminate the pregnancy. Women's body/right/etc is B.S. Just as much as Men's body/right/etc. They are BOTH required for the conception, they should BOTH be required for the DECISION.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does the father have a right to stop an abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    Are you saying having a child is equal to severing a vein in the male genetalia?

    I get your point, however I disagree with the "majority" it would seem. I believe that if it took two to create the child, it should take two to make the decision to fulfill or terminate the pregnancy. Women's body/right/etc is B.S. Just as much as Men's body/right/etc. They are BOTH required for the conception, they should BOTH be required for the DECISION.
    I would grant that if they are not married then it should be the mother's sole decision.

    If they are married, then yes the man's consent should be required for the abortion.

  4. #164
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,607
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does the father have a right to stop an abortion?

    In a "perfect" world, abortion and other "crimes" would neither be legal nor illegal.
    Right now man is struggling just to achieve civilization, so, and correctly so, abortion is legal..
    Strange, is it not, that murder is legal.....We have a long ways to go.
    Out of decency, the father must have a voice in this matter..
    I doubt if decency exists in our society; its logical that the baby in the womb has the greatest say in his survival in this hard and cruel world.
    It has to be, at this point in time, a matter of the fathers rights - on a legal basis...
    But, if the baby in the womb has no rights, why should anyone else?

  5. #165
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,708
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does the father have a right to stop an abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    In the current legal situation, your point makes pragmatic sense.
    The post reflects my ideal view. The current law is even worse, with men being subjected to the woman's decision with absolutely no recourse. I would ideally like to be able to say the same thing to women-- that if they wish to raise a child with a man, they'd best be certain that the feeling is mutual.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    However, it could be construed as "be careful who you have sex with, especially unprotected sex, and be aware there may be consequences involving either unwanted pregnancy or abortion, because those decisions may be made without you but still affect you profoundly."
    Another practical argument that applies no matter what the current legal situation is.

  6. #166
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    09-14-10 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    158

    Re: Does the father have a right to stop an abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    I can clear this up: he's "pro" the "right" of a fetus to occupy the body of an unwilling human host, and extract her to bodily resources without her consent, unless this will result in her imminent death. And except in cases of rape (gotta love the consistency, lol).

    In other words, he's for "rights" that do not exist, and against rights that do exist, ie the right of a woman to control her own reproductive functions.
    Yup, I figured that is where the word games were coming into play. Thanks, I have been gone for awhile.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •