View Poll Results: Is America a Christian nation?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 12.70%
  • No

    39 61.90%
  • Yes and No

    15 23.81%
  • Other

    1 1.59%
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 221

Thread: Is America a Christian Nation?

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Is America a Christian Nation?

    Okay this is driving me insane in the other thread so I'm going for a slightly different direction and hopefully not asking three seperate questions as if they'll all the same.

    Is America a Christian Nation.



    NATION as a political term, not nation in regards to the common vernacular of most Americans where its a synonym for both "state" and "country".

  2. #2
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Okay this is driving me insane in the other thread so I'm going for a slightly different direction and hopefully not asking three seperate questions as if they'll all the same.

    Is America a Christian Nation.
    I said "no". I think we are a nation that as a ****load of Christians, though.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #3
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Yes and no.

    The majority religion is Christian. However, we aren't a theocracy.


  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    I voted yes and no as well. We have Christian influence, but we aren't a Christian theocracy or a nation for Christians. We are also a nation with a majority Christian population.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Our system of government is secular, our population is largely Christian. So, yes and no.

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Yes and no.

    There's two types of Nations technically speaking, the cultural and the political.

    Without a doubt America was a Christian Nation at the founding and continues to be one to this day. At the time of the founding the vast majority of the population shared a common cultural bond, that being the religion they shared which was at its based Christianity. This particular cultural lynchpin is second only to language, as the most constitant common bond amongst the majority of individuals within our generalized borders. From the earliest days till now there have been a large variety of ethnic backgrounds. While sharing a common history, the immigrant nature of our country makes this a slightly less concrete connection as well.

    Its reasonable to assume that likely close to 95%+ considered themselves some form of Christian at the time of the countries founding, with it still being more than 3/4ths of the country today considering itself as part of that faith. The overwhelming majority that represents Christians in this country makes it unmistakable to me that as a cultural nation the U.S. is without question a Christian Nation.

    I answered Yes and No however, because as a political nation we are joined not by the notion of Christianity but by the notion of governance by the people, for the people, with an understanding of an inherent right to freedom for individuals. The Delcaration of Independence was written on the notion that a political nation can establish its own right to rule. In some ways one could potentially argue its due to this reason that the U.S. is a Nation-State, though I don't quite know if the term would be appropriate for it. This is not to say that in this case it is a "secular" nation, as while freedom of religion in general was a portion of the initial make up of the country that notion did come after the true founding of the American NATION, coming into being truly during the time of the Constitution. Additionally, while not directly relating to a specific religion, the notion of divinity or of some sort of higher power is present throughout the founding documents and the arguments for independence and the formation of said political nation, so arguing that it is a secular nation even on the grounds of a political nation to me would be wrong. It would be however an argument that America is a nation of freedom.

    So to me, its two fold in how one could describe the U.S. as a nation.

    In regards to culture the United States is a Christian Nation, while with regards to politics the United States is a Nation of Freedom.

    Your thoughts?

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Our system of government is secular, our population is largely Christian. So, yes and no.
    This.

    (123456789)

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Yes and no.

    The majority religion is Christian. However, we aren't a theocracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I voted yes and no as well. We have Christian influence, but we aren't a Christian theocracy or a nation for Christians. We are also a nation with a majority Christian population.

    Theocracy speaks of a form of established government over a defined territory, IE a state, not a nation.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Oh, editing my first post as I should've known I needed to be more clear -.-

  10. #10
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Yes and no.

    There's two types of Nations technically speaking, the cultural and the political.

    Without a doubt America was a Christian Nation at the founding and continues to be one to this day. At the time of the founding the vast majority of the population shared a common cultural bond, that being the religion they shared which was at its based Christianity. This particular cultural lynchpin is second only to language, as the most constitant common bond amongst the majority of individuals within our generalized borders. From the earliest days till now there have been a large variety of ethnic backgrounds. While sharing a common history, the immigrant nature of our country makes this a slightly less concrete connection as well.

    Its reasonable to assume that likely close to 95%+ considered themselves some form of Christian at the time of the countries founding, with it still being more than 3/4ths of the country today considering itself as part of that faith. The overwhelming majority that represents Christians in this country makes it unmistakable to me that as a cultural nation the U.S. is without question a Christian Nation.

    I answered Yes and No however, because as a political nation we are joined not by the notion of Christianity but by the notion of governance by the people, for the people, with an understanding of an inherent right to freedom for individuals. The Delcaration of Independence was written on the notion that a political nation can establish its own right to rule. In some ways one could potentially argue its due to this reason that the U.S. is a Nation-State, though I don't quite know if the term would be appropriate for it. This is not to say that in this case it is a "secular" nation, as while freedom of religion in general was a portion of the initial make up of the country that notion did come after the true founding of the American NATION, coming into being truly during the time of the Constitution. Additionally, while not directly relating to a specific religion, the notion of divinity or of some sort of higher power is present throughout the founding documents and the arguments for independence and the formation of said political nation, so arguing that it is a secular nation even on the grounds of a political nation to me would be wrong. It would be however an argument that America is a nation of freedom.

    So to me, its two fold in how one could describe the U.S. as a nation.

    In regards to culture the United States is a Christian Nation, while with regards to politics the United States is a Nation of Freedom.

    Your thoughts?
    I don't think the US has any sort of uniform culture becuse it's too big and too diverse to have one.

    So I disagree with the idea that we have, as a whole, a Christian culture. I'm not even sure there is such a thing as a "Christian" cutlture because Chrsitianity is too big and too diverse to have a uniform culture.

    I would say that there are pockets of "Christianity-based" culture in the US, but that there are also pockets of "Seculalrity-based" culture.

    Just being primarily composed of Christians doesn't automatically lead to a Chrsitianity-based culture.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •