View Poll Results: Is America a Christian nation?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 12.70%
  • No

    39 61.90%
  • Yes and No

    15 23.81%
  • Other

    1 1.59%
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 221

Thread: Is America a Christian Nation?

  1. #181
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I hate to point this out, but it's STILL a drinkable liquid. Just that the drinkable liquid is poisonous does not make it non-drinkable.
    That ignores the definition of drinkable:

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/drinkable

    Main Entry: 1drink·able
    Pronunciation: \ˈdriŋ-kə-bəl\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 1611

    : suitable or safe for drinking

    — drink·abil·i·ty \ˌdriŋ-kə-ˈbi-lə-tē\ noun
    Cyanide is most definitely not drinkable.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    You did have a cup of coffee. According to your personal definition of "cup of coffee".
    Well, no. According to what I was taught a cup of coffee is by many people throughout my life, media, peers, the sign in the store, even the label on the bag of "coffee grounds".

    I like how you people keep insisting that I make this stuff up as though I'm a god with unlimited power to think of something and then go back in time and make it as though my new invention always existed; like when I state what marriage is about. I appreciate the reverence but it simply isn't so.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    As I personally only drink one cup of coffee once a day around 1930, and I drink it plain, I would likely call your “cup of coffee” a “cup of coffee with lots of sugar and milk, to be avoided” Although I don’t mind some sugar and milk/cream in my coffee, the amount you describe would be a bit much.
    But you DO call it a cup of coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    The point is that while comparisons can be made, a cup of coffee does not compare closely enough to a nation to make valid statements about both.
    Sure it does.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    In other words, it’s a case of apple =/= orange, although both are vaguely round.
    According to you, neither are round as neither are perfectly spherical.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-07-10 at 07:20 PM.

  3. #183
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well, no. According to what I was taught a cup of coffee is by many people throughout my life, media, peers, the sign in the store, even the label on the bag of "coffee grounds".
    Those are vague as well.

    Sure, you can use “cup of coffee” to describe any cup containing coffee. But many other qualifiers are necessary to specify the specific cup and coffee you are communicating.

    It’s just that normally, you don’t NEED to specify those things when discussing your morning (or late afternoon) cup of coffee.

    Whereas, I consider it necessary, when debating whether or not the US is a Christian nation, to be quite specific.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I like how you people keep insisting that I make this stuff up as though I'm a god with unlimited power to think of something and then go back in time and make it as though my new invention always existed; like when I state what marriage is about. I appreciate the reverence but it simply isn't so.
    Huh?

    What are you talking about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    But you DO call it a cup of coffee
    True.

    And yet, much like the whole “Christian nation” bit, I add various qualifiers to the simple statement, to specify the various factors about it that I consider important.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Sure it does.
    Obviously, I disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    According to you, neither are round as neither are perfectly spherical.
    Ok, you can hold both in the palm of your hand. Happy?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Ok, you can hold both in the palm of your hand. Happy?
    [The Mark]
    Not true because there is some token minority of people with hands to small to hold both in one palm.
    [/The Mark]

    [Tucker]
    If there is also a cherry in that palm you therefore are not holding the apple and orange. You MUST, at every opportunity, make a long winded politically correct power-point presentation outlining every item in your hand in great detail.
    [/Tucker]

  5. #185
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    [The Mark]
    Not true because there is some token minority of people with hands to small to hold both in one palm.
    [/The Mark]

    [Tucker]
    If there is also a cherry in that palm you therefore are not holding the apple and orange. You MUST, at every opportunity, make a long winded politically correct power-point presentation outlining every item in your hand in great detail.
    [/Tucker]
    I do believe I’m being mocked.

    Ah well, nothing new there.

    Still, my statement was more along the lines of coffee =/= nation = apple =/= orange, rather than a statement regarding the intricacies of apple/orange comparisons.

    Much like the usage of a vague “cup of coffee” statement is fine in many situations.

    And what does political correctness have to do with anything?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    And what does political correctness have to do with anything?
    It's the only apparent motivation for telling people a vague, general reference shouldn't be used when it leaves out various identity groups.

  7. #187
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's the only apparent motivation for telling people a vague, general reference shouldn't be used when it leaves out various identity groups.
    Well, then it is apparent that my reasons for doing so are...less than apparent.

    In my mind, labeling the US with “Christian nation” does not correctly communicate the situation.

    To some, it might be understood as: “the US is a Christian controlled nation”. In fact, as I read the wording, it directly implies that.

    True, Christianity is up there, but to call the US a “Christian nation” sends the wrong message, IMO.

    Thus, I cannot accept it for use.

    Further, I do not consider it correct in any way.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    In my mind, labeling the US with “Christian nation” does not correctly communicate the situation.
    It's not even meant to. It's a vague general impression. Nothing more.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    To some, it might be understood as: “the US is a Christian controlled nation”. In fact, as I read the wording, it directly implies that.
    Yeah well that's their problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    True, Christianity is up there, but to call the US a “Christian nation” sends the wrong message, IMO.
    Then don't use it.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Thus, I cannot accept it for use.
    You only dictate if you use it, not if I use it.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Further, I do not consider it correct in any way.
    That's like a paraplegic saying "I can't use my legs". Yeah, we know.

  9. #189
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's not even meant to. It's a vague general impression. Nothing more.
    Which is acceptable, in some situations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yeah well that's their problem.
    And yet, it could become my problem, or yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Then don't use it.
    I had no plans to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You only dictate if you use it, not if I use it.
    Quite true.

    Nonetheless, I am attempting to convince you not to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's like a paraplegic saying "I can't use my legs". Yeah, we know.
    Just making sure.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #190
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    [The Mark]
    Not true because there is some token minority of people with hands to small to hold both in one palm.
    [/The Mark]

    [Tucker]
    If there is also a cherry in that palm you therefore are not holding the apple and orange. You MUST, at every opportunity, make a long winded politically correct power-point presentation outlining every item in your hand in great detail.
    [/Tucker]
    [Jerry]Well, what you've been arguing is that Apples are invisible gremlins from outer space and that when Monkeys have propeller hats on they will suffer from vaginosis.

    This isn't true because apples aren't gremlins and propeller hats have no bearing on vaginosis.

    Therefore, America is a Christian Nation[/Jerry]

    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •