View Poll Results: Is America a Christian nation?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 12.70%
  • No

    39 61.90%
  • Yes and No

    15 23.81%
  • Other

    1 1.59%
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 221

Thread: Is America a Christian Nation?

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Depends on the day, I suppose, but probably.
    And itís still a cup of coffee, but itís not JUST a cup of coffee.
    That's fine, no one ever said America has only Christians.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    And yet you can easily refer to it as a cup of coffee, when talking about your own.
    As I have been. Didn't need your permission but thanks anyway I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Someone else would specify those other things when discussing YOUR cup of coffee, in order to let someone know its dangerous (or a good idea) to try drinking your coffee.
    The danger in trying to drink my coffee lays not in the cup.....

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    BS.
    Bachelor of Science? What major?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Even someone who isnít a political science major (much like myself) can see the issues that arise from describing the USA as ďa Christian nationĒ.
    Sure, sure, and I can see flying pink elephants. Sure you didn't get into my coffee?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I was saying that they consider themselves separate, not that they are isolationist towards other religions. Itís not the same thing. However, some Christians ARE isolationist towards other religions.
    The existence of evangelicals proves that assumption wrong. Isolationists don't evangelize. Also, Christians exist in every facet of the country where non Christians exist, especially so in the Military. This wouldn't be true were Christians isolationists like the Amish.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Different situation, and a different usage of the word ďnationĒ.
    Absolutely. Difference situations because there is no sub-American Christian Nation. We agree for once.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Donít tell him that.
    Ooo what's he gona do, write a strongly worded PM? Oh noes!!

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Exactly. Just like how there are certain paramters that must be met for describing a liquid as "coffee" and no ingredients can be included into that mixture which inherently contradict the parameters for describing that mixture as "coffee", the are certain parameters that must be met for describing a nation as "Christian" and no ingredients that can be included in that nation which inherently contradict labeling that mixture as "Christian".

    Cyanide is an example of an ingredient that would inherently contradict calling the liquid mixture "coffee", and non-Christians are examples of ingredients that would inherently contradict calling that human mixture "Christian".
    Well, what you've been arguing is that coffee can't be coffee because 1. there is no such single compound called "coffee" and 2. the cup is not filled exclusively with said compound which doesn't exist.

    And yet, I still had a cup of coffee this morning.

    Either I didn't have a cup of coffee, coffee doesn't exist and I drank something else, or you're wrong. Aleichem's Razor = you're wrong.

    Adding Cyanide to coffee doesn't make it not coffee. It makes it poisoned 'coffee. Still coffee, now with a new prefix.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-07-10 at 07:04 PM.

  3. #173
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's fine, no one ever said America has only Christians.
    And yet “Christian nation” implies either that, or that Christians control the nation. At least to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    As I have been. Didn't need your permission but thanks anyway I guess.
    Wasn’t giving or allow permission, was simply stating that something was the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The danger in trying to drink my coffee lays not in the cup.....
    I thought it might be that way.

    But you still got my point, methinks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Bachelor of Science? What major?
    I’m 99.999% sure you know what I meant, and it surely wasn’t that.

    Male bovine excrement would be more accurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Sure, sure, and I can see flying pink elephants. Sure you didn't get into my coffee?
    Doubt it. And if you can, more power to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The existence of evangelicals proves that assumption wrong. Isolationists don't evangelize. Also, Christians exist in every facet of the country where non Christians exist, especially so in the Military. This wouldn't be true were Christians isolationists like the Amish.
    What assumption? And why are you still responding to my non-existent claim of Christians being “isolationist”.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Absolutely. Difference situations because there is no sub-American Christian Nation. We agree for once.
    Not the difference I meant.

    I would consider that which you describe another nation contained within the nation that is the US, along with the “American Christian Nation”, as it were.

    The differences are in that they have a formal governing body and are much closer to an actual state than a nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Ooo what's he gona do, write a strongly worded PM? Oh noes!!
    No, but he would bend your ear a bit on certain things, most likely.

    Not that such is necessarily a bad thing, depending.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #174
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Zyph, I think I've figured out a better way to explain what my issue with description is.

    The question is asking if America is a Christian nation.

    As many people have already pointed out, including yourself, a nation is the people, not the State. America is a State, not the people. America cannot be described as a Christian nation because it is not people, it is a landmass.

    The question would need to be "can Americans be described as a Christian Nation?"

    The answer to this question is found in the Question "Are Americans Christian?"

    Since not all Americans are Christian, the most accurate yes/no answer to that question is "No". Yes would be definitely incorrect, but no is not incorrect.

    If the question was "Are Americans mosstly a Christian Nation" the answer changes.

    Then the answer is found in the question "Are Americans mostly Christian"

    Then the answer becomes "Yes".

    The problem with the question, and the point I've been trying to make is that you are using the term "Nation" to describe a region and country instead of the population of that country.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Zyph, I think I've figured out a better way to explain what my issue with description is.

    The question is asking if America is a Christian nation.

    As many people have already pointed out, including yourself, a nation is the people, not the State. America is a State, not the people. America cannot be described as a Christian nation because it is not people, it is a landmass.

    The question would need to be "can Americans be described as a Christian Nation?"

    The answer to this question is found in the Question "Are Americans Christian?"

    Since not all Americans are Christian, the most accurate yes/no answer to that question is "No". Yes would be definitely incorrect, but no is not incorrect.

    If the question was "Are Americans mosstly a Christian Nation" the answer changes.

    Then the answer is found in the question "Are Americans mostly Christian"

    Then the answer becomes "Yes".

    The problem with the question, and the point I've been trying to make is that you are using the term "Nation" to describe a region and country instead of the population of that country.
    I wish my team could move the goal posts like that.

    So let's work on the inconsistencies in this new foe-argument: Is America a State, or a landmass? You claimed both, please pick one.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-07-10 at 07:09 PM.

  6. #176
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well, what you've been arguing is that coffee can't be coffee because 1. there is no such single compound called "coffee" and 2. the cup is not filled exclusively with said compound which doesn't exist.

    And yet, I still had a cup of coffee this morning.

    Either I didn't have a cup of coffee, coffee doesn't exist and I drank something else, or you're wrong. Aleichem's Razor = you're wrong.
    You did have a cup of coffee. According to your personal definition of "cup of coffee".

    As I personally only drink one cup of coffee once a day around 1930, and I drink it plain, I would likely call your “cup of coffee” a “cup of coffee with lots of sugar and milk, to be avoided” Although I don’t mind some sugar and milk/cream in my coffee, the amount you describe would be a bit much.

    But that’s really beside the point.

    The point is that while comparisons can be made, a cup of coffee does not compare closely enough to a nation to make valid statements about both.

    In other words, it’s a case of apple =/= orange, although both are vaguely round.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #177
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well, what you've been arguing is that coffee can't be coffee because 1. there is no such single compound called "coffee" and 2. the cup is not filled exclusively with said compound which doesn't exist.
    You obviously didn't understand what I've been saying. If you had, you'd realize that coffee is analogous to "Christian". Christian is alsoo a term that describes a mixture.

    Either I didn't have a cup of coffee, coffee doesn't exist and I drank something else, or you're wrong. Aleichem's Razor = you're wrong.
    Did that coffee get served by the strawman you created?

    Adding Cyanide to coffee doesn't make it not coffee. It makes it poisoned 'coffee. Still coffee, now with a new prefix.
    False. Coffee is defined by websters as "a beverage made by percolation, infusion, or decoction from the roasted and ground seeds of a coffee plant".


    A beverage is a drinkable liquid. Adding Cyanide to coffee makes it a non-drinkable liquid.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #178
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I wish my team could move the goal posts like that.

    So let's work on the inconsistencies in this new foe-argument: Is America a State, or a landmass? You claimed both, please pick one.
    It is both a State, a landmass (although some would argue that the landmass known as “America" also contains Canada and Mexico, to name two), and a nation.

    All three of which are separate from each other, but very closely intertwined.

    Edit: Or substitute "USA", "US", or whatever, for "America", and remove the whole issue with what, precisely, the landmass known as "America" is.
    Last edited by The Mark; 07-07-10 at 07:21 PM.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #179
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You obviously didn't understand what I've been saying. If you had, you'd realize that coffee is analogous to "Christian". Christian is also a term that describes a mixture.



    Did that coffee get served by the strawman you created?



    False. Coffee is defined by Webster’s as "a beverage made by percolation, infusion, or decoction from the roasted and ground seeds of a coffee plant".


    A beverage is a drinkable liquid. Adding Cyanide to coffee makes it a non-drinkable liquid.
    I hate to point this out, but it's STILL a drinkable liquid. Just that the drinkable liquid is poisonous does not make it non-drinkable.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #180
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So let's work on the inconsistencies in this new foe-argument: Is America a State, or a landmass? You claimed both, please pick one.
    Good point. My apologies for the confusion.

    America is a Landmass.

    The USA is a country.

    Neither one of these things are people or a nation.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •