View Poll Results: Is America a Christian nation?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 12.70%
  • No

    39 61.90%
  • Yes and No

    15 23.81%
  • Other

    1 1.59%
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 221

Thread: Is America a Christian Nation?

  1. #161
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    You skipped over the red words in your new testament, didn't you?

    You know, there are very few parables that are consistently repeated through all of the gospels, but somehow, that one was.
    Nope, just never read it all the way through nor have I read it more than on a whim in a random day at church for probably a decade.

    What I do know however is that being a sinner does not make one not a Christian. The bible says far more things not to do besides simply being greed. However quote me a place in the bible that says the sinner is one who is not considered Christian and then you'll win me over. Otherwise, pointing out that people sin does not prove them to be other than Christian.

  2. #162
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,527

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    You skipped over the red words in your new testament, didn't you?

    You know, there are very few parables that are consistently repeated through all of the gospels, but somehow, that one was.
    Hard = can't.

    Nice jab at the consistency as well.

    The fact is they were each written by different people from different perspectives. Being you have worked with law enforcement you above all should understand how you almost never get the same story of the same incident from 2 different people. Of course I suspect you knew this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It depends on what you added, actually. Coffee is by it's very nature a mixture. There are still certain requiremnts, though. One of them must be that it is a drink that one can consume relatively safely (i.e. without causing immediate death).

    If what you added to the "coffee" was cyanide, calling it coffee would be innacurate because it will no longer have that quality.
    What a fascinating point; America is also a mixture by nature.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    What I do know however is that being a sinner does not make one not a Christian.
    Don't ever get into a bible war with a former sunday school teacher:

    Romans 6: 1-2 "What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?"

    For the record, this is the same passage that believers use to say that practicing homosexuals aren't Christians.

    Yes, Christ died for sinners. However, Christians aren't supposed to continue to live in sin, and devote their bodies to the practices of sin.

    Colossians 3:5: So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don't be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.
    1 Corinthians 6:10: "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."
    Believe it or not, the New Testament spends far more time addressing the obstacle of greed than it does fornication or homosexuality.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 07-07-10 at 06:30 PM.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Nice jab at the consistency as well.

    The fact is they were each written by different people from different perspectives. Being you have worked with law enforcement you above all should understand how you almost never get the same story of the same incident from 2 different people. Of course I suspect you knew this.
    I do understand this. Quite clearly, 3 of the 4 gospel authors felt this was important enough to write down...Thus, it's something important.

  6. #166
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If it's not a cup of coffee, what is it? A white Russian? Kinda early in the day for that isn't it?
    Depends on the day, I suppose, but probably.
    And itís still a cup of coffee, but itís not JUST a cup of coffee.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's what it is to me, too.
    And yet you can easily refer to it as a cup of coffee, when talking about your own. Someone else would specify those other things when discussing YOUR cup of coffee, in order to let someone know its dangerous (or a good idea) to try drinking your coffee.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I can make the same analogy with pizza if you'd like...
    And I will respond in the same manner.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Not unless we're all political science majors, no, we don't. We're just average people living on the sound bite.
    BS. Even someone who isnít a political science major (much like myself) can see the issues that arise from describing the USA as ďa Christian nationĒ.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You might be able to say that about the Vatican, but Christians per-se, not so much.
    Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I wouldn't say that, no. Christians are not by and large isolationists.
    Not my point.

    I was saying that they consider themselves separate, not that they are isolationist towards other religions. Itís not the same thing. However, some Christians ARE isolationist towards other religions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    See when you say something like that, I compare it to the Lakota Nation here in SD. The Lakota Nation actually is a sub-nation to the US, complete with official Federal standing, a government with authority, well defined physical boundaries on property, shared religion, a heritage and language. They even issue tribal ID cards stating that a person is a member of the Lakota Nation.

    Christians have no such thing within the US.
    Different situation, and a different usage of the word ďnationĒ.
    Some parallels, however.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Did I say you did? No. What a guy isn't allowed to introduce anything new?
    Not directly, but I understood it as implied. And it depends.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Sounds like he needs Christ in his life.
    Donít tell him that.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #167
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What a fascinating point; America is also a mixture by nature.
    Exactly. Just like how there are certain paramters that must be met for describing a liquid as "coffee" and no ingredients can be included into that mixture which inherently contradict the parameters for describing that mixture as "coffee", the are certain parameters that must be met for describing a nation as "Christian" and no ingredients that can be included in that nation which inherently contradict labeling that mixture as "Christian".

    Cyanide is an example of an ingredient that would inherently contradict calling the liquid mixture "coffee", and non-Christians are examples of ingredients that would inherently contradict calling that human mixture "Christian".
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #168
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What a fascinating point; America is also a mixture by nature.
    Exactly. Just like how there are certain paramters that must be met for describing a liquid as "coffee" and no ingredients can be included into that mixture which inherently contradict the parameters for describing that mixture as "coffee", the are certain parameters that must be met for describing a nation as "Christian" and no ingredients that can be included in that nation which inherently contradict labeling that mixture as "Christian".

    Cyanide is an example of an ingredient that would inherently contradict calling the liquid mixture "coffee", and non-Christians are examples of ingredients that would inherently contradict calling that human mixture "Christian".
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #169
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,527

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I do understand this. Quite clearly, 3 of the 4 gospel authors felt this was important enough to write down...Thus, it's something important.
    Again...

    Hard does not equal can't.

    You have no argument here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #170
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Don't ever get into a bible war with a former sunday school teacher:

    Romans 6: 1-2 "What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?"

    For the record, this is the same passage that believers use to say that practicing homosexuals aren't Christians.

    Yes, Christ died for sinners. However, Christians aren't supposed to continue to live in sin, and devote their bodies to the practices of sin.

    Believe it or not, the New Testament spends far more time addressing the obstacle of greed than it does fornication or homosexuality.
    First, the constant homosexual references are worthless of me. I don't come from a point of notion that homosexuality is a sin so I'm not sure what the real point of its inclusion is.

    Second, if one repents/asks for forgiveness/etc and strives to not sin but still remains making greedy acts that does not make them pagan. Yes, someone that fully embraces greed, has no issue with greed, completely and utterly indulges in it with no attempt for forgiveness from god nor attempt to not forgo these things, then you may be able to make an argument. However I think you'd be hard pressed to say that most of the self identifying Christians in this country would make up that kind of thing. Again, nothing you've given proves that somehow being sinful, having issues with greed, makes on not a Christian. Yes, a case could be made for those who are greedy, continually and without remorse or absolution, but a far tougher case would be in suggesting that a significant portion of Christians in this country could be considered "Greedy".

    Even one who has performed adultery could, to my understanding, still be christian if they ask for forgiveness and strive not to continue that sin.

    Throwing out random singular lines out of a book thousands of pages long, specifically lines that don't even claim what you're claiming which is that someone who sins is NOT CHRISTIAN, proves nothing other than your attempt to cherry pick passages that show being greedy is bad or those who are "wicked", which generally to my understanding is those who continually engage in sinful acts without any attempt to find savior in christ or to change their ways, wouldn't inherit the kingdom of god. Indeed, the Colossians 3:5 you quote even suggests that simply the act of greed does not make one non-christian for one can "put to death" those sinful things, suggesting that while they may reside there and have happened as long as one continues to fight against the notion one would be okay.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •