View Poll Results: Is America a Christian nation?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 12.70%
  • No

    39 61.90%
  • Yes and No

    15 23.81%
  • Other

    1 1.59%
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 221

Thread: Is America a Christian Nation?

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    No, I'm using the definition used by Zyphlin early on in this thread.
    And Atheists use the bible in their renderings. You're point?

  2. #112
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    And Atheists use the bible in their renderings. You're point?
    My point was to rebut your erroneous claims. I've done that. What's your point?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    My point was to rebut your erroneous claims. I've done that. What's your point?
    Oh my bad. See I thought you were going to use that definition correctly and in context. I see now that you're playing devil's advocate. Carry on.

  4. #114
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Oh my bad. See I thought you were going to use that definition correctly and in context. I see now that you're playing devil's advocate. Carry on.
    I'm using the definition of nation stated as the basis of the thread and, as such, the discussion. What discussion are you having?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I'm using the definition of nation stated as the basis of the thread and, as such, the discussion. What discussion are you having?
    Right, you're using the definition "sharing a common religion, ethnicity, language, culture, and/or history". You're not using it correctly, but you are using it. I know. Gotcha. No need to keep declaring it.

    Please let us know when you're willing to refocus on the example 'nation' which is the topic of this thread.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-07-10 at 03:25 PM.

  6. #116
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Right, you're using the definition "sharing a common religion, ethnicity, language, culture, and/or history". You're not using it correctly, but you are using it. I know. Gotcha. No need to keep declaring it.

    Please let us know when you're willing to refocus on the example 'nation' which is the topic of this thread.

    Saying
    I'm not using it correctly isn't the same as showing how I'm not using it correctly. If you can't show it, I must assume that your claim is false. No need to keep declaring it.

    Let me know when you are willing to put forth an argument as a rebuttal instead of making unsubstantiated claims in lieu of a rebuttal.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 07-07-10 at 03:32 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post

    Saying
    I'm not using it correctly isn't the same as showing how I'm not using it correctly. If you can't show it, I must assume that your claim is false. No need to keep declaring it.

    Let me know when you are willing to put forth an argument as a rebuttal instead of making unsubstantiated claims in lieu of a rebuttal.
    I guess I'm not very motivated to demonstrate anything since you aren't either. All I needed to do was bring your contradiction to your attention. It's your job to fix it. I'm willing to help, but only after you show initiative to fix yourself first.

    You do yourself no favors when you cite a definition and then try to distill out it's components. Doing so is, in fact, dishonest. Take the lead by using the definition as a whole as it applies to the example 'nation'.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-07-10 at 03:39 PM.

  8. #118
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    So wait...

    Now you're arguing that you can't have nations that are specific to a specific geographical area? Or that if anyone outside of the geographical area that's defined is shares the same common bond that it invalidates the notion of a nation?

    So if there's anywhere else in the world where people believe in having a Republican form of law then you can't actually call America a Republican Nation because there's someone else outside of that border that follows it so they're just part of a larger nation. If anyone ANYWHERE else believes in individual freedom then you can't considered America a Nation of Individualists because peopel exist outside of that. If anyone happened to be from America but is no longer a citizen of the country while still holding the history and culture of the country as a formative portion of their life and something they still consider part of their history then it invalidates the notion of America as a Nation because people outside of the country can share in that nation and therefore invalidates calling it an American nation because its one that stretches the world.

    Where are you getting this notion that somehow you can not speak about a specific population within a confined location when speaking about a Nation? Nothing says the "population" that is being defined MUST be the ENTIRE WORLD.

    Indeed, once more you destroy your own argument by your own requirements that you set down in order to disprove other peoples arguments. If the existance of someone that shares that bond outside of the geographical area of the United States makes it impossible for the United States to be considered an "X" nation then there is, once again, little to no nations that can be defined as "American" as it is likely neigh impossible to find ANYTHING that you could use to define that nation that is not held by someone, somewhere, elsewhere in the world.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    I'd say our state religion is actually materialism, and our national deity is mammon, if we want to be brutally honest.

  10. #120
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is America a Christian Nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I guess I'm not very motivated to demonstrate anything since you aren't either. All I needed to do was bring your contradiction to your attention. It's your job to fix it. I'm willing to help, but only after you show initiative to fix yourself first.
    In order to bring a contradiction to my attention, you have to actually show that a contradiction is present. You making a claim without substantiating it isn't showing anything except that you can make a claim without substantiating it.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •