View Poll Results: Do you think the U.S. was intended to be a Christian Nation?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 24.44%
  • No

    118 65.56%
  • other

    18 10.00%
Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 446

Thread: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

  1. #51
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    I did vote other but only because their professional education from the enlightenment drove them to a secular charter. In action though I think they were fundamentalist christians.

  2. #52
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    pb, I found an article that she wrote about it instead of watching the video. She claims that the Congress never authorized The Bible and never said it should be used in schools, yes?

    Aitken's petition to Congress specifically said he wanted to create it for schools to use. Congress looked it over and deemed it worthy of publication and gave their permission. They authorized the publication and recommended it to the people of America. They didn't tell Aitken that it couldn't be used in school. They knew he wanted it published for that reason since he wrote it in his initial letter to them.

    Not sure what you're seeing there that's wrong....

    Here's his petition to Congress:
    To the Honourable The Congress
    of the United States of America
    The Memorial of Robert Aitken
    of the City of Philadelphia, Printer

    Humbly Sheweth

    That in every well regulated Government in Christendom The Sacred Books of the Old and New Testament, commonly called the Holy Bible, are printed and published under the Authority of the Sovereign Powers, in order to prevent the fatal confusion that would arise, and the alarming Injuries the Christian Faith might suffer from the Spurious and erroneous Editions of Divine Revelation. That your Memorialist has no doubt but this work is an Object worthy the attention of the Congress of the United States of America, who will not neglect spiritual security, while they are virtuously contending for temporal blessings. Under this persuasion your Memorialist begs leave to, inform your Honours That he both begun and made considerable progress in a neat Edition of the Holy Scriptures for the use of schools, But being cautious of suffering his copy of the Bible to Issue forth without the sanction of Congress, Humbly prays that your Honours would take this important matter into serious consideration & would be pleased to appoint one Member or Members of your Honourable Body to inspect his work so that the same may be published under the Authority of Congress. And further, your Memorialist prays, that he may be commissioned or otherwise appointed & Authorized to print and vend Editions of, the Sacred Scriptures, in such manner and form as may best suit the wants and demands of the good people of these States, provided the same be in all things perfectly consonant to the Scriptures as heretofore Established and received amongst us.
    Last edited by Josie; 06-26-10 at 02:53 AM.


  3. #53
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I think you would be surpised at just how many of them thought that religion was a bad thing.
    A better and more accurate line would be :

    I think you would be surprised at just how many of them thought that organized state controlled religion was a bad thing.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #54
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think the country was founded as a secular country, but with a strong christian influence. The question does not lend itself well to a simple yes or no answer. To deny the christian influence is to deny reality, but to say the country was founded as a christian country is equally false.
    How about The King of England is a poopie head?

    Reading the Declaration of Independence, it's a laundry list of why we think the King sucks. Religion has frankly nothing to do with the founding as a country.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #55
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    How about The King of England is a poopie head?

    Reading the Declaration of Independence, it's a laundry list of why we think the King sucks. Religion has frankly nothing to do with the founding as a country.
    It had nothing to do with the reasons we founded the country. It had something more to do with how we set up the country.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #56
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Actually, it could be argued that our founding fathers were in rebellion against God. After all, in Romans 13: 1, Paul makes it very clear that " Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

    Clearly, our leaders weren't really Christians, or they'd have remained loyal subjects to their annointed ruler, King George 3 of England.
    Even with that misinterpretation, that's a pretty big ****en stretch you got going there. Like, damn, I have no idea how you get that.

  7. #57
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It had nothing to do with the reasons we founded the country. It had something more to do with how we set up the country.
    You consider the original colony time the same as our time as a seperate country? The leaders were quite different in the time periods. With different views on government. And remember that many of the religious pilgrims were running away from fellow Christians.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #58
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I hear all the time that "this is a Christian Nation". Do you think this is so.

    I am going to go ahead and say anyone who truly thinks this country was meant to be a Christian nation is a complete moron. The founding fathers were secularist, there is some evidence indicating Thomas Jefferson was at least agnostic.

    " The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes; fools and hypocrites. To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." -Thomas Jefferson
    I agree with you on the poll, but that quote is not Jefferson's.

    "This quotation has not been found in any writings of Thomas Jefferson. However, it does bear some slight resemblance to several genuine Jefferson quotations, so it is feasible that the above could be traced back to these."

    The Christian god is a three headed monster - Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  9. #59
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    BCR, have you ever read a biography of Thomas Jefferson? Have you read his writings? He was clearly NOT agnostic.
    "Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. "
    "Say nothing of my religion. It is known to God and myself alone. Its evidence before the world is to be sought in my life: if it has been honest and dutiful to society the religion which has regulated it cannot be a bad one."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  10. #60
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    How about The King of England is a poopie head?
    Wow, that's great. Where were you when they were writing the Declaration of Independence? What you say is so much better.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •