View Poll Results: Do you think the U.S. was intended to be a Christian Nation?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 24.44%
  • No

    118 65.56%
  • other

    18 10.00%
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 446

Thread: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

  1. #31
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I hear all the time that "this is a Christian Nation". Do you think this is so.

    I am going to go ahead and say anyone who truly thinks this country was meant to be a Christian nation is a complete moron. The founding fathers were secularist, there is some evidence indicating Thomas Jefferson was at least agnostic.

    " The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes; fools and hypocrites. To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." -Thomas Jefferson
    This nation was founded under the premise of Freedom of Religion, by mostly Christian people. There were those that fought for it's founding that were not Christians, and their efforts are no less important.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    rolleyes Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I hear all the time that "this is a Christian Nation". Do you think this is so.

    I am going to go ahead and say anyone who truly thinks this country was meant to be a Christian nation is a complete moron. The founding fathers were secularist, there is some evidence indicating Thomas Jefferson was at least agnostic.

    " The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes; fools and hypocrites. To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." -Thomas Jefferson
    I don't think it's even questionable.

    More than three quarters of the States Constitutions for example have references to "God" or other religious examples.

    Was it unanimous or even unchallenged?

    Of course not.

    But, you can't ignore history. The first pilgrims were fleeing the State run Church of England and were determined to exercise their (mostly Christianity) in the manner of their own chuzing,.... and 'America' was the land of their chuzing to do so.

    Mystery solved.

  3. #33
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    34,036
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    it was founded by christians, no-one can argue that, but it was founded as a secular nation, using the logic that 'cause the founders were christian, so it is a christian nation can also be used to draw the conclusions that it is a white, male, wig-and-stocking wearing nation too.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Thumbs up Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    it was founded by christians, no-one can argue that, but it was founded as a secular nation, using the logic that 'cause the founders were christian, so it is a christian nation can also be used to draw the conclusions that it is a white, male, wig-and-stocking wearing nation too.
    Thanks.

    That explains the Preambles to the Constitutions all-right.

  5. #35
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    34,036
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Thanks.

    That explains the Preambles to the Constitutions all-right.
    and do you really think it would have being accepted without giving everyone divine kudos?
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  6. #36
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,760

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    BCR, have you ever read a biography of Thomas Jefferson? Have you read his writings? He was clearly NOT agnostic.


  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    and do you really think it would have being accepted without giving everyone divine kudos?
    Whose (if not Gods) acceptance do you think they were striving for?

  8. #38
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I am going to go ahead and say anyone who truly thinks this country was meant to be a Christian nation is a complete moron. The founding fathers were secularist, there is some evidence indicating Thomas Jefferson was at least agnostic.
    Since it was founded with religious freedom as a principle, it stands to reason that since the majority is Christian, many people think it was meant to be Christian. We are all limited by our exposure and experiences, and the majority of people donít really learn much about the founding of our country anymore (unfortunately). Being ignorant does not equate to being moronic.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #39
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post



    But, you can't ignore history. The first pilgrims were fleeing the State run Church of England and were determined to exercise their (mostly Christianity) in the manner of their own chuzing,.... and 'America' was the land of their chuzing to do so.

    Mystery solved.
    True- I wasn't even thinking of the Pilgrims, but of the founding fathers. My bad.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #40
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    34,036
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Whose (if not Gods) acceptance do you think they were striving for?
    the american peoples, they had just come from a rebellion of their own, and being politicians, they wanted their document to be accepted by as many people as possible, and saying the country had divine providence was a good way of assuring that.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •