View Poll Results: Do you think the U.S. was intended to be a Christian Nation?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 24.44%
  • No

    118 65.56%
  • other

    18 10.00%
Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 446

Thread: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

  1. #351
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Seems to me that our rights are hinged on how much we are willing to fight for them, regardless of source. And if we fight for an individual right that offends nearly all others, we are likely to lose that "right"....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #352
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,940

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    C.S. Lewis is the example I always go with here, of a man who believed in the reality of both. frankly i think the scientific account reinforces the biblical one rather than detracting from it.
    I don't agree, unless a lot in there is taken figuratively or presumed to have been translated wrong, then science clashes with the Bible. Now, there are certainly plenty of Christian denominations that do believe that not everything in the Bible is accurate or literal, many in fact, but then I have to ask how they know which parts are real and which aren't? What part of the Bible (or is it other papers/writings related to the Bible) specifically tells a person that those parts that obviously clash with science are figurative, while everything else is to be held true?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #353
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    I think this country was founded for many reasons and freedom of religion was a biggee. That means any religion that blows your skirt up.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  4. #354
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I think this country was founded for many reasons and freedom of religion was a biggee. That means any religion that blows your skirt up.

    What about the skirt less people?

  5. #355
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I think this country was founded for many reasons and freedom of religion was a biggee. That means any religion that blows your skirt up.
    pervert.......I suppose you like to see Kilts blown up as well...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #356
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I don't agree, unless a lot in there is taken figuratively or presumed to have been translated wrong, then science clashes with the Bible. Now, there are certainly plenty of Christian denominations that do believe that not everything in the Bible is accurate or literal, many in fact, but then I have to ask how they know which parts are real and which aren't? What part of the Bible (or is it other papers/writings related to the Bible) specifically tells a person that those parts that obviously clash with science are figurative, while everything else is to be held true?
    I don't understand the obsession so many have with proving the bible true, or untrue. Take the good parts, apply them to your daily life, ignore the bad parts.
    Yes, there are bad parts....and the fact that we can ignore those parts means that christian beliefs have evolved, even if the christians have not...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #357
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,940

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I don't understand the obsession so many have with proving the bible true, or untrue. Take the good parts, apply them to your daily life, ignore the bad parts.
    Yes, there are bad parts....and the fact that we can ignore those parts means that christian beliefs have evolved, even if the christians have not...
    I agree. The only problem I have is when some of those parts of the Bible are used to condemn others for harmless behavior that is viewed as sinful. Other than those types things (which definitely, thankfully change with time), I consider the Bible and Christianity to be pretty positive things for people and society, just like most religions, in general. Of course there are fanatics who contort information, but those are small sects of people in any major religion.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #358
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I agree. The only problem I have is when some of those parts of the Bible are used to condemn others for harmless behavior that is viewed as sinful. Other than those types things (which definitely, thankfully change with time), I consider the Bible and Christianity to be pretty positive things for people and society, just like most religions, in general. Of course there are fanatics who contort information, but those are small sects of people in any major religion.
    Fanatics and con artists....a bad combination...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #359
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Central Illinois
    Last Seen
    12-25-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    232
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    For about 2 weeks. Then they got cold and hungry. Rather than ask, they began robbing the native stores and killing the natives. Finally these fine Christians declared them agents of the devil, apparently giving them clear consciences to slaughter the devil in the form of men, women and children over the course of the next few centuries. Nice.

    Personally, I think it's why fundamentalists worry so damn much about Islam. They know they have done the same thing (not all that long ago), and would do it again. Projection can be an ugly thing.
    I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic. - Abigail Adams

  10. #360
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I hear all the time that "this is a Christian Nation". Do you think this is so.

    I am going to go ahead and say anyone who truly thinks this country was meant to be a Christian nation is a complete moron. The founding fathers were secularist, there is some evidence indicating Thomas Jefferson was at least agnostic.

    " The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes; fools and hypocrites. To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." -Thomas Jefferson
    The major religious philosophy of most of the Founding Fathers was "deism," which is one degree towards theism than agnosticism is.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •