View Poll Results: Do you think the U.S. was intended to be a Christian Nation?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 24.44%
  • No

    118 65.56%
  • other

    18 10.00%
Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 446

Thread: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

  1. #241
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Fabulous! I'll await your dissertation on exactly who was agnostic and who was a Deist since you "know all about our founding Fathers".

    And I take it you think none were Christians?
    I do not recall saying none were X-tians. Care to point out where I said that? Do not waste your time because you cannot. It is clear that the majority of them were not. That pretty much sums it up. The End
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #242
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You are all arguing and irrlevant point. I already addressed this. The US was not intended to have a Christian government. The US was intended to be a country that was open to any religion, and the religion that is dominant would make the nation one of that religion. The USA is a Christian Nation, for reasons already addressed...
    Off topic but here is a Reagan Quote you may enjoy

    "We establish no religion in this country, we command no worship, we
    mandate no belief, nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must
    remain, separate.

    All are free to believe or not believe, all are free to practice a faith
    or not, and those who believe are free, and should be free, to to speak
    of and act on their belief.

    At the same time that our Constitution prohibits state establishment of
    religion, it protects the free exercise of all religions. And walking
    this fine line requires government to be strictly neutral."
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  3. #243
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I do not recall saying none were X-tians. Care to point out where I said that? Do not waste your time because you cannot. It is clear that the majority of them were not. That pretty much sums it up. The End
    I assumed that since you said they were agnostics and Deists. How is it "clear that the majority of them were not" Christians? Because you say so?


  4. #244
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I do not recall saying none were X-tians. Care to point out where I said that? Do not waste your time because you cannot. It is clear that the majority of them were not. That pretty much sums it up. The End
    A majority were. A notable many were not. My fifth-great-uncle was certainly among those who were. It is quite fine that many were not. We have many today who are not exactly religious, but are good men. We also have a majority who are religious, and many who are at least good men. This is nothing to be so anxious about. I understand that many want to be the same as the "Founding Fathers", and you in some way, want them to be similar to you, but it isn't necessarily so.

    Glenn Beck and his "followers" (I would be more apt to say "spirited comrades") may claim to be on the side of the "Founding Fathers", but part of it is pure fantasy. The point is, most of our "Founding Fathers" were Christian, but many who were more famous than others, were also Deist. And it is quite alright to stop short of "their" beliefs, because to a degree, we can't join them. At any rate, due to the nature of a majority being Christian, their "Christian" attitudes and quirks become apart of the nation, perhaps more so than they could have figured out. It doesn't mean that they didn't perceive a difference between government and religious organization, but it could mean that some had different perceptions of what that difference entailed. This also explains why those like Jefferson were so unique in how far they wished to create the divide between state and religion (Virginia and University of Virginia), whereas others were not so predisposed.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 07-02-10 at 04:14 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #245
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    I assumed that since you said they were agnostics and Deists. How is it "clear that the majority of them were not" Christians? Because you say so?
    Many of the founders were freemasons, including Washington, Franklin, Hancock, etc.

    The freemasons were all against the establishment of any state religions. Remember, that this was a secret society and none of them wanted religion to have any power in how our country was governed.

  6. #246
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Many of the founders were freemasons, including Washington, Franklin, Hancock, etc.

    The freemasons were all against the establishment of any state religions. Remember, that this was a secret society and none of them wanted religion to have any power in how our country was governed.
    Who is saying they wanted religious power in our government?


  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    A majority were. A notable many were not. My fifth-great-uncle was certainly among those who were. It is quite fine that many were not. We have many today who are not exactly religious, but are good men. We also have a majority who are religious, and many who are at least good men. This is nothing to be so anxious about. I understand that many want to be the same as the "Founding Fathers", and you in some way, want them to be similar to you, but it isn't necessarily so.

    Glenn Beck and his "followers" (I would be more apt to say "spirited comrades") may claim to be on the side of the "Founding Fathers", but part of it is pure fantasy. The point is, most of our "Founding Fathers" were Christian, but many who were more famous than others, were also Deist. And it is quite alright to stop short of "their" beliefs, because to a degree, we can't join them. At any rate, due to the nature of a majority being Christian, their "Christian" attitudes and quirks become apart of the nation, perhaps more so than they could have figured out. It doesn't mean that they didn't perceive a difference between government and religious organization, but it could mean that some had different perceptions of what that difference entailed. This also explains why those like Jefferson were so unique in how far they wished to create the divide between state and religion (Virginia and University of Virginia), whereas others were not so predisposed.
    Was that your Uncle Sam?

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Who is saying they wanted religious power in our government?
    Glen Beck, Sean Hannity.

  9. #249
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Glen Beck, Sean Hannity.
    I don't listen to Sean Hannity. I've never heard Glenn Beck say that our government should be controlled by religion.


  10. #250
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Do you think this country was founded upon Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    A majority were. A notable many were not. My fifth-great-uncle was certainly among those who were. It is quite fine that many were not. We have many today who are not exactly religious, but are good men. We also have a majority who are religious, and many who are at least good men. This is nothing to be so anxious about. I understand that many want to be the same as the "Founding Fathers", and you in some way, want them to be similar to you, but it isn't necessarily so.

    Glenn Beck and his "followers" (I would be more apt to say "spirited comrades") may claim to be on the side of the "Founding Fathers", but part of it is pure fantasy. The point is, most of our "Founding Fathers" were Christian, but many who were more famous than others, were also Deist. And it is quite alright to stop short of "their" beliefs, because to a degree, we can't join them. At any rate, due to the nature of a majority being Christian, their "Christian" attitudes and quirks become apart of the nation, perhaps more so than they could have figured out. It doesn't mean that they didn't perceive a difference between government and religious organization, but it could mean that some had different perceptions of what that difference entailed. This also explains why those like Jefferson were so unique in how far they wished to create the divide between state and religion (Virginia and University of Virginia), whereas others were not so predisposed.
    Please do not try to claim I am anxious about anything, ok?

    I find it pretty arrogant of you to assume I wish that my founding fathers are/were like me. Look save your shrink crap for someone else as you do not know me. Got it.

    You are being condesending and do not doubt my ability to pick up on it.
    Last edited by Kali; 07-03-10 at 12:43 AM.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •