View Poll Results: Should benefits be extended?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    44 42.31%
  • no

    50 48.08%
  • let them starve

    4 3.85%
  • Who cares?

    1 0.96%
  • other

    5 4.81%
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 161

Thread: Unemployment Benefits Extension

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Unemployment Benefits Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    obviously I don't mean let the crime happen - I mean - let them try. We'll take care of it as we always do. And great point on the prison system - perhaps it too needs to be re-evaluated - (both in benefits prisoners get - perhaps cutting them down or cutting down who gets them AND in who goes to prison - there are some pretty easy things we could change in our laws that would free up prison space and a LOT of money).
    It costs a hell of a lot of money to keep people in prison. I think it's a lot cheaper to educate them or even have public work projects to help them stay employed. At least we will have something to show for it.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Unemployment Benefits Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    I definately agree! We should re-evalute a LOT of gov't spending. But when we re-evaluate each area, we can't say "well look what we're spending over there!" We need to decide if the spending is appropriate in each area despite spending in other areas. So despite the fact there are certainly other areas that could be cut dramatically, this is one area that I think we did the right thing. We can't spend money we don't have. If we want to continue it, let's get the funding to continue it instead of 'figure it out later'.

    And let them turn to crime if they will - we will find a way to fight them off if they do. Fear of the negative things people will do isn't a justification to give them what they want. That's basically unspoken blackmail. And do you honestly think that enough people will qualify for disability insurance that the costs would be greater than unemployment insurance? I don't have figures, but that seems far-fetched.
    I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem like you have any sympathy for the ones who lost their jobs and will be without income if they get no unemployment insurance. I mean, it could happen to anyone and your reaction to them turning to crime to be able to afford living. Was, "well I'm sure they will be caught by the police and put in prison. "

    I mean, there are families with children who is living on unemployment insurance. Do you want them to be kicked on the streets and end up scraping by with food coupons somewhere in downtown LA? I am a conservative, but I do have sympathy for the ones who are struggling in this society.
    Last edited by Camlon; 06-30-10 at 06:16 PM.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Unemployment Benefits Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem like you have any sympathy for the ones who lost their jobs and will be without income if they get no unemployment insurance. I mean, it could happen to anyone and your reaction to them turning to crime to be able to afford living. Was, "well I'm sure they will be caught by the police and put in prison. "

    I mean, there are families with children who is living on unemployment insurance. Do you want them to be kicked on the streets and end up scraping by with food coupons somewhere in downtown LA? I am a conservative, but I do have sympathy for the ones who are struggling in this society.
    No get a job. I am on my second job this year. That after not working for a year because of back surgery. I did not collect unemployment. If you give them money why should they work or look for a job?

  4. #124
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Unemployment Benefits Extension

    How is this the fault of republicans?




    House lines up second vote on unemployment benefits
    By Vicki Needham - 06/29/10 06:33 PM ET

    The House is expected to approve a stand-alone extension of unemployment benefits on Wednesday, leaving the matter up to the Senate.

    The House Rules Committee agreed to set up a same-day rule for the bill for Wednesday.

    An attempt to move the legislation on Tuesday under suspension of House rules failed after it did not win the two-thirds majority that is necessary. In the 261-155 vote, 16 Democrats crossed party lines and voted no, while 30 Republicans voted for the measure.

    All but two of the Democrats are members of the fiscally conservative Blue Dog Coalition. The 14 Blue Dogs were: Reps. Marion Berry (Ark.), Travis Childers (Miss.), Jim Cooper (Tenn.), Joe Donnelly (Ind.), Jim Marshall (Ga.), Betsy Markey (Colo.), Frank Kratovil (Md.), Baron Hill (Ind.), Stephanie Herseth Sandlin (S.D.), Walt Minnick (Idaho), Glenn Nye (Va.), Bobby Bright (Ala.) and Heath Shuler (N.C.). The other two were Reps. John Adler (N.J.) and Melissa Bean (Ill.).

    Those Democrats are from 14 different states half of which recorded double-digit unemployment in May Mississippi (11.4 percent), Alabama (10.8), Illinois (10.8), Tennessee (10.4), North Carolina (10.3), Georgia (10.2) and Indiana (10). New Jersey is in line with the national average of 9.7 percent and Idaho's rate is 9 percent. Colorado is at 8 percent, Arkansas at 7.7, Maryland at 7.2 and Virginia at 7.1 percent.

    Herseth Sandlin's state has one of the lowest rates of unemployment at 4.6 percent.

    The approximately $35 billion six-month extension appears to be two votes short of the 60 it needs to pass in the Senate.

    Democrats want to move the extension before Congress adjourns later this week for the week-long July 4 recess.

    The legislative week has been further tightened by the death of long-time Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.), who will lie in state in the Senate chamber for most of Thursday.

    Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson (Neb.) said Tuesday that if the bill isn't with other spending cuts or tax increases, it won't get his vote.

    With the Senate missing Byrd, three Republicans would need to back the measure to ensure passage.

    So far, Sen. Olympia Snowe (Maine) is the only Republican who has voiced support for passing an extension without offsetting its cost.

    Ohio Sen. George Voinovich (R) said he's unlikely to vote yes if the bill is not offset.

    If the House passes a bill, the Senate will have one shot at sending it to President Barack Obama's desk. Any changes would require the lower chamber to consider the measure again. The House is expected to complete its business by Thursday night.

    Without action, 1.2 million people are expected to lose their extended benefits by Wednesday. That number will rise to at least 2 million by July 10, some right after finishing up their state-funded 26 weeks, before Congress returns from its weeklong recess, according to Labor Department figures.

    Benefits expired June 1.

    A total of 54 percent of workers exhaust all of their unemployment insurance benefits, up to 99 weeks in states with high levels of unemployment.

    Americans receive an average of $304 a week, providing about $6.7 billion a month in economic stimulus, according to the National Employment Law Project, a group studying the issue.

    Those who have exhausted their benefits could potentially be without their weekly checks until the middle of July if the Senate can't reach an agreement.

    The House bill under consideration extends unemployment benefits through November but will not include the extra $25 included in checks as part of last year's stimulus bill.

    If Congress is unable to extend benefits, all 50 states would lose emergency funding that provides between 34 and 53 additional weeks on top of the state-provided 26 weeks.

    Overall statistics on unemployment benefits are staggering 46 percent of the 15 million unemployed Americans have been out of work for at least six months, with an average person jobless for 34.4 weeks, the highest in history, according to NELP and Labor Department statistics.

    Under the extension, unemployed workers can receive up to 99 weeks of benefits based on the state's unemployment rate. Every state is affected if Congress can't resolve the issue before recess begins. If a measure isn't passed, lawmakers wouldn't take it up again until at least July 12, when they return from the weeklong break.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Unemployment Benefits Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    No get a job. I am on my second job this year. That after not working for a year because of back surgery. I did not collect unemployment. If you give them money why should they work or look for a job?
    But not everyone is like you. Some people have a much harder time getting a job. The problem isn't that people aren't willing to take low enough pay, but there aren't any jobs because there isn't enough demand and therefore not enough hiring. Hence some people will end up unemployed before the confidence in the economy improves and people start hiring again.

    Also, they will want a job, because a job pays better than unemployment insurance. Also a job is more secure, because as we have seen. It's very easy to lose the unemployment insurance, and it will certinally be removed when it is easy to get a job again.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Unemployment Benefits Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    How is this the fault of republicans?




    House lines up second vote on unemployment benefits
    By Vicki Needham - 06/29/10 06:33 PM ET

    The House is expected to approve a stand-alone extension of unemployment benefits on Wednesday, leaving the matter up to the Senate.

    The House Rules Committee agreed to set up a same-day rule for the bill for Wednesday.

    An attempt to move the legislation on Tuesday under suspension of House rules failed after it did not win the two-thirds majority that is necessary. In the 261-155 vote, 16 Democrats crossed party lines and voted no, while 30 Republicans voted for the measure.

    All but two of the Democrats are members of the fiscally conservative Blue Dog Coalition. The 14 Blue Dogs were: Reps. Marion Berry (Ark.), Travis Childers (Miss.), Jim Cooper (Tenn.), Joe Donnelly (Ind.), Jim Marshall (Ga.), Betsy Markey (Colo.), Frank Kratovil (Md.), Baron Hill (Ind.), Stephanie Herseth Sandlin (S.D.), Walt Minnick (Idaho), Glenn Nye (Va.), Bobby Bright (Ala.) and Heath Shuler (N.C.). The other two were Reps. John Adler (N.J.) and Melissa Bean (Ill.).

    Those Democrats are from 14 different states — half of which recorded double-digit unemployment in May — Mississippi (11.4 percent), Alabama (10.8), Illinois (10.8), Tennessee (10.4), North Carolina (10.3), Georgia (10.2) and Indiana (10). New Jersey is in line with the national average of 9.7 percent and Idaho's rate is 9 percent. Colorado is at 8 percent, Arkansas at 7.7, Maryland at 7.2 and Virginia at 7.1 percent.

    Herseth Sandlin's state has one of the lowest rates of unemployment at 4.6 percent.

    The approximately $35 billion six-month extension appears to be two votes short of the 60 it needs to pass in the Senate.

    Democrats want to move the extension before Congress adjourns later this week for the week-long July 4 recess.

    The legislative week has been further tightened by the death of long-time Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.), who will lie in state in the Senate chamber for most of Thursday.

    Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson (Neb.) said Tuesday that if the bill isn't with other spending cuts or tax increases, it won't get his vote.

    With the Senate missing Byrd, three Republicans would need to back the measure to ensure passage.

    So far, Sen. Olympia Snowe (Maine) is the only Republican who has voiced support for passing an extension without offsetting its cost.

    Ohio Sen. George Voinovich (R) said he's unlikely to vote yes if the bill is not offset.

    If the House passes a bill, the Senate will have one shot at sending it to President Barack Obama's desk. Any changes would require the lower chamber to consider the measure again. The House is expected to complete its business by Thursday night.

    Without action, 1.2 million people are expected to lose their extended benefits by Wednesday. That number will rise to at least 2 million by July 10, some right after finishing up their state-funded 26 weeks, before Congress returns from its weeklong recess, according to Labor Department figures.

    Benefits expired June 1.

    A total of 54 percent of workers exhaust all of their unemployment insurance benefits, up to 99 weeks in states with high levels of unemployment.

    Americans receive an average of $304 a week, providing about $6.7 billion a month in economic stimulus, according to the National Employment Law Project, a group studying the issue.

    Those who have exhausted their benefits could potentially be without their weekly checks until the middle of July if the Senate can't reach an agreement.

    The House bill under consideration extends unemployment benefits through November but will not include the extra $25 included in checks as part of last year's stimulus bill.

    If Congress is unable to extend benefits, all 50 states would lose emergency funding that provides between 34 and 53 additional weeks on top of the state-provided 26 weeks.

    Overall statistics on unemployment benefits are staggering — 46 percent of the 15 million unemployed Americans have been out of work for at least six months, with an average person jobless for 34.4 weeks, the highest in history, according to NELP and Labor Department statistics.

    Under the extension, unemployed workers can receive up to 99 weeks of benefits based on the state's unemployment rate. Every state is affected if Congress can't resolve the issue before recess begins. If a measure isn't passed, lawmakers wouldn't take it up again until at least July 12, when they return from the weeklong break.
    It will soon be time to put some extra deadbolts on our homes and buy some spare ammo, especially in states like Mich.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Unemployment Benefits Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    But not everyone is like you. Some people have a much harder time getting a job. The problem isn't that people aren't willing to take low enough pay, but there aren't any jobs because there isn't enough demand and therefore not enough hiring. Hence some people will end up unemployed before the confidence in the economy improves and people start hiring again.

    Also, they will want a job, because a job pays better than unemployment insurance. Also a job is more secure, because as we have seen. It's very easy to lose the unemployment insurance, and it will certinally be removed when it is easy to get a job again.
    Then explain the freight picking up and trucking companies hiring

    So we should limit the time of unemployment so people go to work and look for jobs
    Last edited by ptif219; 06-30-10 at 07:21 PM.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Unemployment Benefits Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Then explain the freight picking up and trucking companies hiring

    So we should limit the time of unemployment so people go to work and look for jobs
    You act like the country is made up of a bunch of truckers.

  9. #129
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Unemployment Benefits Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Then explain the freight picking up and trucking companies hiring

    So we should limit the time of unemployment so people go to work and look for jobs
    With a high unemployment like 10% .. people are looking for work...

    You act like the country is made up of a bunch of truckers.
    Made some merlot come outta my nose. Very funny lol.

  10. #130
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,014

    Re: Unemployment Benefits Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    But not everyone is like you. Some people have a much harder time getting a job. The problem isn't that people aren't willing to take low enough pay, but there aren't any jobs because there isn't enough demand and therefore not enough hiring. Hence some people will end up unemployed before the confidence in the economy improves and people start hiring again.

    Also, they will want a job, because a job pays better than unemployment insurance. Also a job is more secure, because as we have seen. It's very easy to lose the unemployment insurance, and it will certinally be removed when it is easy to get a job again.
    I realize that when working unemployment insurance is taken out of ones check and the employer also pays in. The problem comes in when people have been out of work so long that they have used up all of what they have paid into the system. Congress did extend payments, but that has now expired. My question is where to do want the money to come from to pay for the extension? We are so much in debt as a country that imo its at a critical level. If you want the social payments to continue, we need to cut expenditures somewhere (aid to other countries, war effort, welfare, etc).

    Its interesting, so many out of work, yet some want open borders to allow more people in. IMO, we have to many people for the economy to support.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •