View Poll Results: From these options, who or what do you care most about?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Myself

    13 25.49%
  • My family and friends

    23 45.10%
  • Myself and the people who share the same values as me

    1 1.96%
  • My religion and its followers

    1 1.96%
  • My city as a whole

    0 0%
  • My state as a whole

    0 0%
  • My country as a whole

    1 1.96%
  • My country and our allies

    0 0%
  • The human race as a whole

    6 11.76%
  • The planet / ecosystem as a whole

    6 11.76%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 101

Thread: Who or what do you care most about?

  1. #81
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,217

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    People who think in such very broad terms worry me. Often, they forget to remember that "the human race" consists of individuals, each with their own unique life, values, wants, needs. It can lead to terrible oppression in the name of "the common good".
    It has a name, it's called socialism.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    We are all related to each other. Most recent common ancestor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    From article: " Because ancestors of MRCA are by definition also common ancestors, we can continue to find (less recent) common ancestors by pushing further back in time to the MRCA's ancestors. Eventually we reach a point in the past where all humans can be divided into two groups: those who left no descendants today and those who are common ancestors of all living humans today. This point in time is termed the identical ancestors point. Even though each living person receives genes (in original or mutated forms) in dramatically different proportions from these ancestors from the identical ancestors point,[4] from this point back all living people share exactly the same set of ancestors, all the way to the very first single-celled organism.[1]"

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    It has a name, it's called socialism.
    I thought it was called humanism or maybe even the teachings of Jesus.

  4. #84
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    You got the order wrong. You may think to yourself that it's right, but it really isn't.
    #4 comes first for absolutely everyone.
    #3 comes second for pretty much all decent people.
    Exactly right! Myself, is called instinct for survival, and everybody's got it. Ever see "Seinfeld" where George ran out of the apt that had a fire before everyone else? Ever see the office fire on the "Office" set by Dwight where Michael ran out first?

    I've noticed in a lot of real fires, the adults will get out, but the kids don't.

    I don't believe many who wrote family would actually try to save their family if they knew they would die trying to save a life that is futile. That's a quick decision type thing.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  5. #85
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    Exactly right! Myself, is called instinct for survival, and everybody's got it. Ever see "Seinfeld" where George ran out of the apt that had a fire before everyone else? Ever see the office fire on the "Office" set by Dwight where Michael ran out first?

    I've noticed in a lot of real fires, the adults will get out, but the kids don't.

    I don't believe many who wrote family would actually try to save their family if they knew they would die trying to save a life that is futile. That's a quick decision type thing.

    People frequently die trying to save others. Not just their children, but friends and not uncommonly total strangers. Stuff like that is in the papers regularly.

    I think (and this is odd, coming from me) that some of y'all aren't giving human nature enough positive credit (I can't believe I'm the one saying this either.)

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #86
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,754

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    I thought it was called humanism or maybe even the teachings of Jesus.
    Jesus was a socialist?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #87
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    People frequently die trying to save others. Not just their children, but friends and not uncommonly total strangers. Stuff like that is in the papers regularly.

    I think (and this is odd, coming from me) that some of y'all aren't giving human nature enough positive credit (I can't believe I'm the one saying this either.)
    Indeed. I've put my life in jeopardy more than once to ensure the safety of others - some of them complete strangers.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Jesus was a socialist?
    Hell yeah. That's why they crucified him.

  9. #89
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    People frequently die trying to save others. Not just their children, but friends and not uncommonly total strangers. Stuff like that is in the papers regularly.

    I think (and this is odd, coming from me) that some of y'all aren't giving human nature enough positive credit (I can't believe I'm the one saying this either.)
    It's not that frequent. Most wouldn't do it if they knew they'd end up dying. The "rare" instances where someone saves someone usually does make the papers, but all the times people take off running for their lives leaving people behind doesn't make the papers cause it's unknown and those people aren't going to advertise their cowardice.

    I know people do good things, and sometimes it's selfless, but I don't believe it's the norm, it's more unusual and accidental.

    Anybody remember Ted Kennedy & Mary Jo Kopecne. If Ted had tried to save Mary Jo he would have also died. He was such a vagabond for abandoning her, but that's probably not what happened. He probably barely got out himself.

    I don't feel that trying to save yourself is a bad thing. It's normal.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  10. #90
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    It's not that frequent. Most wouldn't do it if they knew they'd end up dying. The "rare" instances where someone saves someone usually does make the papers, but all the times people take off running for their lives leaving people behind doesn't make the papers cause it's unknown and those people aren't going to advertise their cowardice.

    I know people do good things, and sometimes it's selfless, but I don't believe it's the norm, it's more unusual and accidental.

    Anybody remember Ted Kennedy & Mary Jo Kopecne. If Ted had tried to save Mary Jo he would have also died. He was such a vagabond for abandoning her, but that's probably not what happened. He probably barely got out himself.

    I don't feel that trying to save yourself is a bad thing. It's normal.
    That's the thing... it's never selfless.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •