View Poll Results: From these options, who or what do you care most about?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Myself

    13 25.49%
  • My family and friends

    23 45.10%
  • Myself and the people who share the same values as me

    1 1.96%
  • My religion and its followers

    1 1.96%
  • My city as a whole

    0 0%
  • My state as a whole

    0 0%
  • My country as a whole

    1 1.96%
  • My country and our allies

    0 0%
  • The human race as a whole

    6 11.76%
  • The planet / ecosystem as a whole

    6 11.76%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 101

Thread: Who or what do you care most about?

  1. #91
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    [GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    That's the thing... it's never selfless.
    I should have said appears selfless. My husband always says that when we cry when someone dies we cry for selfish reasons, and I always wanted to disagree, but I knew what he was saying. We cry because we feel sad, or we lost someone. It's all about us.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    [GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]

    I should have said appears selfless. My husband always says that when we cry when someone dies we cry for selfish reasons, and I always wanted to disagree, but I knew what he was saying. We cry because we feel sad, or we lost someone. It's all about us.
    We also often laugh for those same reasons.

  3. #93
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    1. My country
    2. My family and friends
    3. Myself and people who share the same value
    4. Myself

    Pretty sums up myself especially #1 and my username
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  4. #94
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    The people who chose "myself" ..... are you Ayn Rand fans by any chance?
    huge Ayn Rand fan! I love the way she thinks and I disagree with her occassionally... But she certainly sparks a lot of thoughts. I choose myself. And as rivrrat explained so well, it's because I love myself that I would die for who I care about. But I wouldn't be willing to do that if I didn't care for myself and what myself cares for. I make sacrifices for loved ones because it makes ME happy to do it. I'm happy to. Or would be too upset with myself not to. regardless, I do it for me

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    huge Ayn Rand fan! I love the way she thinks and I disagree with her occassionally... But she certainly sparks a lot of thoughts. I choose myself. And as rivrrat explained so well, it's because I love myself that I would die for who I care about. But I wouldn't be willing to do that if I didn't care for myself and what myself cares for. I make sacrifices for loved ones because it makes ME happy to do it. I'm happy to. Or would be too upset with myself not to. regardless, I do it for me
    It's called narcissism

  6. #96
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    It's called narcissism
    If you truly 'love' yourself and stare in a mirror all day - that's narcissism. Again, you're taking it to an extreme unecessarily to prove a point that's not there. If you can't argue the points that are actually being made and only choose to argue the point if it's taken to the extreme, then it seems like your side is fairly week on any topic. Which is a shame because I often agree with you and you just make the arguments worse. please, let's debate the actual points.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    If you truly 'love' yourself and stare in a mirror all day - that's narcissism. Again, you're taking it to an extreme unecessarily to prove a point that's not there. If you can't argue the points that are actually being made and only choose to argue the point if it's taken to the extreme, then it seems like your side is fairly week on any topic. Which is a shame because I often agree with you and you just make the arguments worse. please, let's debate the actual points.
    There are head doctors who believe there is such a thing as good narcissism. Some people with low self esteem could actually benefit by being a little narcissistic. Then at the other end there is a disorder called NPD.

    I did not imply that it was a bad trait. Different smokes for different folks.

  8. #98
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Myself and my family because they are the only ones who will always be there for you.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  9. #99
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    ‘I’m all by myself; nobody was looking…I was thinking of you.’
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Who or what do you care most about?

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Myself and my family because they are the only ones who will always be there for you.
    Naw, there are plenty of good people in the world that will be there for you if you ever need them.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •