View Poll Results: Could you vote for Obama if he shared more of your Conservative values?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 35.71%
  • No

    18 64.29%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

    I voted for him last time because he was the best of the two credible candidates in the race. That doesn't mean I liked him then, or like him now, he was just better than the McCain/Palin ticket. I spend almost all of my time voting against people, there is rarely, if ever, someone running in any political race, that I can actually support. All he has to do to get my support in 2012 is to be better than whatever religious zealot the Republican party puts up.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #22
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

    Quote Originally Posted by jking948 View Post
    I agree with you about the types of 3rd parties, I think if a Moderate/Centrist party can't be developed a conservative would be most successful and appealing. Also I guess we may live in different areas but I remember taking an AP US Government class in high school and very few of my class mates new what a libertarian was. I know many adults(parents and friends of) who think there is ONE 3rd party and that is the "Independent" party, lol.'
    I hope that the Democrats or Republicans can figure out what to do but if not I feel as you do that many future elections will have 3rd parties gaining my vote.
    "Conservatives" Are Single-Largest Ideological Group

    Moderates and Conservatives, according to this Gallup poll have been making up pretty equal percentages of the population. I'm usually not one to use polls to justify my arguments since the poll isn't guaranteed to be right, but many people claim the majority of the population are either moderate, centrist or independent. And if we had a Conservative third party that would throw the balance of politics out of wack, giving conservatives an endless majority (since Republicans are more conservative than liberal). This is why I'd prefer Republicans be more conservative and we adopt a Moderate third party.

    To be frank, most kids and young adults don't know **** about the world and politics because they haven't reached to the real world yet. Kudos to you for getting interested earlier than most.

    As for the parents, I will weep for them.

  3. #23
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    05-14-12 @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    71

    Re: Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    "Conservatives" Are Single-Largest Ideological Group

    Moderates and Conservatives, according to this Gallup poll have been making up pretty equal percentages of the population. I'm usually not one to use polls to justify my arguments since the poll isn't guaranteed to be right, but many people claim the majority of the population are either moderate, centrist or independent. And if we had a Conservative third party that would throw the balance of politics out of wack, giving conservatives an endless majority (since Republicans are more conservative than liberal). This is why I'd prefer Republicans be more conservative and we adopt a Moderate third party.

    To be frank, most kids and young adults don't know **** about the world and politics because they haven't reached to the real world yet. Kudos to you for getting interested earlier than most.

    As for the parents, I will weep for them.
    I would weep for happiness if a centrist/moderate/middle(whatever you wanna call it) party developed. I just feel more at home with those beliefs. I understand both sides(Dems and Repubs) but I just think both sides have their crazies that are too crazy for me.

    Thank you for the compliment. And I will tell you right now I don't know **** about the world and politics, but for whatever reason I am really interested in it and love it Also, your point is very correct about kids not knowing anything about politics, and the fact is that when they reach adulthood we probably do learn and recognize/realize more.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    After reading complaints from the Republicans on this board for over a year now the thought occurred to me...

    If Pres. Obama shared more Conservative values would any Republican member here vote for him?

    Example: If he supported gun rights?

    If not, what issue would he have to embrace in order to get your vote?
    No, he could not earn my vote now under any circumstance. He has already proven himself to be inept, dishonest and ethically questionable. No amount of pandering to my philosophies would make me trust him with another term.

  5. #25
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    After reading complaints from the Republicans on this board for over a year now the thought occurred to me...

    If Pres. Obama shared more Conservative values would any Republican member here vote for him?

    Example: If he supported gun rights?

    If not, what issue would he have to embrace in order to get your vote?
    Your example is interesting, as there isn't a hope in hell for him to change his stance on guns. John Lott tried to engage him at Harvard, but got the arrogant one's cold shoulder.

    There is nothing this guy could do to vote for him.
    He's not credible, and has proven himself to be incapable as an executive.

    It's 866 days to election day.
    Can't come soon enough.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  6. #26
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I voted for him last time because he was the best of the two credible candidates in the race. That doesn't mean I liked him then, or like him now, he was just better than the McCain/Palin ticket. I spend almost all of my time voting against people, there is rarely, if ever, someone running in any political race, that I can actually support. All he has to do to get my support in 2012 is to be better than whatever religious zealot the Republican party puts up.
    I'm hoping the Republicans put up a candidate I can actually support, rather than just vote for one candidate or the other because I think the they are the (slightly) lesser of two evils, like far too many past elections.

    As I'm opposed to Pres. Obama being reelected, that would be the best option for me, unless a really great 3rd party candidate shows up (unlikely).
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #27
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

    Obama has been shaped by his upbringing, teachings and associations. His mother, his father, his "typical white" grandmother, Saul Alinskeys Rules for Radicals, Frank Marshal Davis, Rev. Wright, Bill Ayers, Van Jones, ACORN, SEIU, Chicago thugs, Andy Stern, Rahm Emanuel, George Soros, Center for American Progress, on and on and on. He doesn't have any Conservative associations and doesn't hold even one Conservative value that I can see. He's cramming socialism down our throats one big bite and a time.
    I'd never vote for him. I can't wait for his first and only term to be over. I just hope it won't be too late for the country.

  8. #28
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    After reading complaints from the Republicans on this board for over a year now the thought occurred to me...

    If Pres. Obama shared more Conservative values would any Republican member here vote for him?

    Example: If he supported gun rights?

    If not, what issue would he have to embrace in order to get your vote?
    Hmm - for him to get my vote?
    That's an extreme question - I've thought about it for a few days, actually. . . and still can't really come up with something.

    It's not that the fundamentals of "Democrat" are what I disagree with - or that the fundamentals of "Republican" are what I do agree with. It's a lot of other things: I don't like how he behaved when coming into office - the campaign-trail rhetoric (traveling around, apologizing for the US, bowing to everyone). Yet I agree with him on a lot of issues that matter most to some people (gay rights - though I support gay marriage and he doesn't, abortion and so on).
    However, in other areas I strongly disagree with him and these outweigh all else: the healthcare issue, his lack of action per Arizona's struggles, last year's debacle with the requested troops overseas, constantly blaming Bush for everything that goes on, and continually poking at those he disagrees with (like the Tea-Party, etc), his complete lack of spending-control. . . this list can go on.

    So, no, though I don't personally dislike him and I agree with quite a few things - the things I disapprove of far outweigh all that.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #29
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

    Quote Originally Posted by jking948 View Post
    Also, your point is very correct about kids not knowing anything about politics, and the fact is that when they reach adulthood we probably do learn and recognize/realize more.
    It really happens when they start looking at how much they pay in taxes if they have a decent job.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #30
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I'm hoping the Republicans put up a candidate I can actually support, rather than just vote for one candidate or the other because I think the they are the (slightly) lesser of two evils, like far too many past elections.
    Remember a few years back, when everyone was thrilled about how the press loved McCain? Imo, that's probably why the Republican party nominated him, stupidly believing that he could win the press over, thus improve their chances for victory. They compromised and it was a losing endeavor.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •