View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Atheist?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    85 89.47%
  • No

    10 10.53%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 114

Thread: Would you vote for an Atheist?

  1. #31
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,775

    Re: Would you vote for an Atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Simple question, would you vote for a candidate if they were an atheist? Or would their atheism be a deal-breaker for you?
    For all I know, I have voted for Atheists already, since I don't have any idea what any of the candidates (beyond GW) views on religion are. I don't know and I certainly don't care. I am sure that it would be greatly talked about if the candidate was a Satan Worshipper, or something, and I would care about that, but otherwise, don't know and don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Would you vote for an Atheist?

    Absolutely, in fact I'd be more apt to vote for an atheist than someone who openly talks to imaginary friends.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #33
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Would you vote for an Atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    So... Atheists generally aren't conservative because strict interpretations of law are absolutist, which requires a God?

    When I line up main line conservative beliefs and atheism I really can't figure anything that atheism would somehow prevent someone from believing in it.

    Exactly what conservative tenants do you think are most opposed to atheism?
    Hey, I'm a conservative atheist and I don't think any laws are absolutist, nor do any laws of any kind require an imaginary friend in the sky. There are actually quite a few conservative atheists around, they don't tend to be as vocal as the liberal side.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #34
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,775

    Re: Would you vote for an Atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Assuming that they weren't fanatics about it, and that their political beliefs were in line with mine, then definitely.
    Yeah, but we are talking about atheists, not fanatics. Most people who aren't fanatical wouldn't vote for any fanatic for any reason... right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #35
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,148

    Re: Would you vote for an Atheist?

    How can anyone fanatically lack a belief?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  6. #36
    Student Pal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    06-28-10 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    211

    Re: Would you vote for an Atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Hey, I'm a conservative atheist and I don't think any laws are absolutist, nor do any laws of any kind require an imaginary friend in the sky. There are actually quite a few conservative atheists around, they don't tend to be as vocal as the liberal side.

    Are you a social conservative or just a fiscal one? I for one can't think of a how an atheist could rationalize social conservative opinions without being able to reference the bible or some religious authority.

  7. #37
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Would you vote for an Atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    How can anyone fanatically lack a belief?
    They can't.

    It is possible, however, to fanatically believe that there is nothing to believe in...

    But I think most atheists simply don't believe anything is available to believe in, with no "fanatical" factor.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #38
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Would you vote for an Atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I believe in God, though I'm far from devout. Further, I feel that if you choose to believe in something else or nothing at all, that's your business. I disagree that you think that Parents shouldn't teach their children about their religions....once they get old enough to decide for themselves they will. Personally I've seen far more disparaging remarks made by atheists to the religious than I have the opposite. You just made one in your post. When it comes to matters of faith, there are plenty of things I disagree with, but I try to do it respectfully. Most atheists I know...most, not all.....don't bother with the same courtesy.
    My father was a Wesleyan minister turned conservative politician. I don't particularly care if your offended by what I believe with regards to child rearing. But you do understand what brainwashing is? Blind faith is nothing to go on about as though it is something to be treasured. It usually leads to a closed mind. However I respect your right to your religion but not to subject others to it as though fire and brimstone are real consequences to say lying, for example. I won't lament about your faith. I think people need to believe in something to have a reason to go on in life a motivation if you like. I just don't think any of the mainstream or less then mainstream religions have it right. So it is up to the individual but you shouldn't try to subjugate others as if you have it all figured out without any empirical data to back it up.

  9. #39
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Would you vote for an Atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Hey, I'm a conservative atheist and I don't think any laws are absolutist, nor do any laws of any kind require an imaginary friend in the sky. There are actually quite a few conservative atheists around, they don't tend to be as vocal as the liberal side.
    God said "thou shalt not kill" accept if its a terrorist. Always an exception to the rule. Libertarians and conservatives have been sharing the same bath water for a while .. they don't even know the roots of their philosophies sometimes. So what is it that makes you identify with conservatism? I spent a lot of time with young people who smoked pot.. held very liberal ideas about homosexuality, pre marital sex and so on. But they voted conservative. Basically they had no clue what they were voting for. It kind of reminds me of when kids watch a sporting event and they pick their favorite team based on the color etc.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Would you vote for an Atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Simple question, would you vote for a candidate if they were an atheist? Or would their atheism be a deal-breaker for you?
    Unless he was like a Communist in conjunction with being an atheist I would almost certainly vote for the atheist, it would be a decision between someone who uses logic and reason and someone suffering from mass delusion.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •