View Poll Results: Read Question

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, prices will fall

    5 14.71%
  • No, prices will not fall

    23 67.65%
  • Not sure

    6 17.65%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 86

Thread: Supply & Demand

  1. #41
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Supply & Demand

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Okay, let's take the current daily global usage, roughly 85.4 million barrels a day. At 10% compounding over the average 15 years it takes oil to get to the market from new drilling and assuming that current supply increases at 2% without new drilling, we would need to bring 270,903,242 additional barrels in capacity per day on that 15th year if we drilled now.

    That's more then a hell of alot of drilling. We're going to need Jesus the Oilman to get that kind of capacity.
    Hey Zimmer, want to tell me how we're going to get 270 million barrels of oil on top of our declining supplies in 15 years?

    MATH RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #42
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,335
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Supply & Demand

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Hey Zimmer, want to tell me how we're going to get 270 million barrels of oil on top of our declining supplies in 15 years?

    MATH RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    This is typical of leftists.
    They take a question in its purest form, eliminate all the variables, and then say drilling won't reduce the price.

    That's also how we go bankrupt. With Ponzi Schemes that work on paper but eliminate all the human, and profit motivated variables.

    There are other variables like coal, natural gas, nuclear... two of three which leftists hate. Nothing new in the world of energy. No need to reinvent the wheel.

    So drilling more, producing more natural gas and oil, mining and using coal (which Obama wants to kill as well) and building nukes won't assist in driving down oil prices?

    OK.

    Know people know why we are in trouble.
    1 + 1 = 11

    .
    See what I mean Your Star.
    I told you what this poll was about.

    Taking one element, isolating it, and drawing a conclusion from it.

    End of story.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  3. #43
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Supply & Demand

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post

    Taking one element, isolating it, and drawing a conclusion from it.

    .
    So no actual explanation eh? You say I'm wrong, my argument is faulty but when challenged to prove it, when your basis of your argument is challenged you are completely unable in any way shape form or fashion capable of actually backing your statements up.

    Not surprising.

    Simple fact you cannot dispute is that supply cannot match demand. I've given up waiting for you to show how I (or anyone else for that matter) is wrong. Come back when you have something more then "I say so." Until then, don't post because you have nothing useful to add.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Supply & Demand

    Wow, my name's been mentioned alot in this thread, like someone wants me to agree with them, or insinuating I'm too dumb to think for myself.

    Anyway this thread still has a simple right, or wrong answer. With the numbers provide, demand is greater than supply, and the price will go up. If those numbers apply to the oil industry, and the effect off shore drilling will have on the market then the price will still go up.

    IMO we need to focus on alternative energy sources rather than wasting time, and resources on off shore drilling.

  5. #45
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,335
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Supply & Demand

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Wow, my name's been mentioned alot in this thread, like someone wants me to agree with them, or insinuating I'm too dumb to think for myself.

    Anyway this thread still has a simple right, or wrong answer. With the numbers provide, demand is greater than supply, and the price will go up. If those numbers apply to the oil industry, and the effect off shore drilling will have on the market then the price will still go up.

    IMO we need to focus on alternative energy sources rather than wasting time, and resources on off shore drilling.
    For you perhaps, but that wasn't why the thread was created.
    Just say'in.

    We can look for alternatives, but we have abundant coal, gas, we can build nuke plants and drill baby drill.
    We also have a lot of time to evolve out of it.

    OC,

    Nice try with the poll. Subtle like rape.
    Taking one element, isolating it, and drawing a conclusion from it.

    Back to the drawing board of deceit.

    BTW, how's your black screen doing?
    You really should get a job... that way you might be able to afford newer technology and won't have to spend time worrying about whether you can afford to run a color picture.
    ROTFLOL.

    As you were (doo-whack-a-doo, whack-a-doo...).

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 06-23-10 at 09:35 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  6. #46
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Supply & Demand

    Once again, no actual reason why anything Zimmer has accused me of is true.

    Zimmer: You're wrong!
    Me: Why?
    Zimmer: Because you have no image on your LCD.

    Okay then.

    Has it occurred to you that maybe I actually have an LCD that doesn't use diffusers?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    157

    Re: Supply & Demand

    Assuming ceteris paribus, the price will rise.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Supply & Demand

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious child
    Fair enough, but everything you described furthers my argument that prices cannot drop. With oligopolistic compeition already in play and manipulation, the addition of slowly increasing supply and rapidly increasing demand suggests that up is the only logical conclusion to prices, contrary to the beliefs of some.
    Sorry, I've been busy with work as of late and haven't had a chance to come to DP to see things progress.

    Well, prices indeed can drop, but it's not based on supply and demand...technically. It actually does depend on S&D, but on a microeconomic level amongst the cartel nations (OPEC). The truth is that the OPEC cartel is an oligopoly, but not a harmonic one. These bastards stab each other in the back all the time. Because of some nations like Saudi Arabia with claim to a much larger supply feel a need to crowd out certain nations with a smaller pool that don't do their bidding, they will price-cut to a level that will force nations with smaller reserve to hold on to what they have while the energy "big boys" essentially slap them around and make them do their bidding. You know about manipulation. You're married, right?

    They have to function as a monopoly for maximum overall profit, but they don't abide by the rules to do so. They can't efficiently function as an oligopoly because of something I mentioned in my first post - product differentiation. Saudi oil isn't all that much different or better than oil from umpteen other nations. They do indeed take a bit of a hit in profit because of lower prices. Oil is relatively inelastic, therefore reductions in price mean reductions in profit. But it's a political tool, not an economic one.

    Lots of the price involved with fluctuations have nothing to do with profit and simple S&D, but quite a bit still does, and that's because of a corruption in the collusive factors of oil exporting nations.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Supply & Demand

    Supply and demand does not work with monopolies.

  10. #50
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Supply & Demand

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Supply and demand does not work with monopolies.
    Actually, controlling the "supply" is the whole POINT of a monopoly.

    So yes, it does.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •