View Poll Results: Should we decrease the size of the U.S. armed forces

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, by a substantial amount

    18 38.30%
  • Yes, but only a small amount

    11 23.40%
  • No

    12 25.53%
  • We should increase the size of our armed forces.

    6 12.77%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 94

Thread: Should we trim down our Military????

  1. #31
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we trim down our Military????

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The DOD budget is readily available to all.
    Then you should have no problem linking and quoting the relevant portions.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #32
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should we trim down our Military????

    DOD 2010 fiscal budget . . . have at it

    Defense.gov News Release: DoD Releases Fiscal 2010 Budget Proposal

    http://www.defense.gov/news/2010%20B...20Proposal.pdf

    http://www.defense.gov/news/FY10%20Budget%20Request.pdf

    Fiscal Year 2011 DoD Budget Release

    note- the fiscal year ends on September 31 and begins on October 1.
    So - this year's 2011 budget is still under review. Being labeled 2011 - it won't go into effect until October 1 . . . and it will continue in effect until September 31, 2011.

    So right now we're operating under the 2010 budge which began on October 1, 2009 - last year.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 06-19-10 at 12:25 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #33
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Should we trim down our Military????

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Then you should have no problem linking and quoting the relevant portions.
    No, I'm pretty happy letting you comment on things you are apparently too lazy to look up yourself.

  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we trim down our Military????

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, I'm pretty happy letting you comment on things you are apparently too lazy to look up yourself.
    One of us has sourced their claims, and included charts and quotes to back up my points. One of us has not bothered. I wonder which of us is more credible based on that...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should we trim down our Military????

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    I don't see how deep reductions to our nuclear arsenal are "tinkering around the edges." Furthermore, cutting staff from one of the branches in large numbers isn't really on the edges. Edges would be kind of like not buying that additional missile frigate, or buying 20 less tanks.
    I assumed this thread was about reducing the manpower of the US armed forces.
    Perhaps had the question been posed to strictly mean the manpower we might get a better response.
    When anyone talks about the 'armed forces' of America, one must include the National Guard as well as the Coast guard as these too are also considered to be military.
    If we factor all the other services into the equation then apart from China, the US must be one of the main Countries with the largest number of armed forces in the world.
    Yes the number of Human's can and ideally should be trimmed, but if the US wants to continue to be a combative nation (as it seems to be with most GOP administrations) then the number of Humans within the armed forces needs to be increased, the reason why is because of the casualties that need to be replaced.

  6. #36
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we trim down our Military????

    Oh...my...god...


    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    I assumed this thread was about reducing the manpower of the US armed forces.
    Perhaps had the question been posed to strictly mean the manpower we might get a better response.
    I like the open ended question, as it gives a chance for a number of diferent views to be discussed.

    When anyone talks about the 'armed forces' of America, one must include the National Guard as well as the Coast guard as these too are also considered to be military.
    If we factor all the other services into the equation then apart from China, the US must be one of the main Countries with the largest number of armed forces in the world.
    According to wiki, we have the 8th largest number of military personell in the word, counting active and reserves. List of countries by number of troops - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Yes the number of Human's can and ideally should be trimmed, but if the US wants to continue to be a combative nation (as it seems to be with most GOP administrations) then the number of Humans within the armed forces needs to be increased, the reason why is because of the casualties that need to be replaced.
    Obama is continuing to maintain a force in Iraq, has expanded the war in Afghanistan, and has potential troubles brewing in Iran and NK. It's not a republican/democrat or left/right thing. Further, the need to replace casualties in the US military is tiny compared to replacing the people leaving the service each year. Not to downplay the importance of the sacrifice of those casualties(I do volunteer work at the local VA hospital, trust me when I say it it important to me), but the number of casualties in comparison to the size of the military is small.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #37
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Should we trim down our Military????

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Apples, and oranges. Defense spending is 23 % of the Federal budget, and far and away the largest discretionary spending item.

    You know what I find amazing? Come on, I know you want to know what I think....With all our military is supporting, worldwide, our defense budget is 23% (according to this chart) of the national budget while social security is 20% of the national budget. That's pretty amazing to me.

  8. #38
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we trim down our Military????

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    About 50 Billion is directly identifiable as healthcare expense, 117 billion to morale and welfare which are indirectly healthcare programs. Neither of these address salary and training of military healthcare professionals which comes from a different budget as well as maintenance and operation of military hospitals, which comes from facilities budgets. Further hospital ship and field hospitals come from expeditionary budgets. I'm not going to do all this math for you, because it's just a waste of time, suffice it to say a few Google searches will get you the info you need. As far as the pay raise, President Obama proposes a 1.4% pay raise for fy2011. It won't be to hard for you to figure out how that holds up to past military pay raises. you might also want to look into the military to civilian pay gap....see what that tells ya. That's about as much as I'm going to give you as "evidence to support my false assertions." I am a little amused that you paid ZERO attention to the personnel toll our troops are experiencing, and jumped on the budget claims without actually looking into it.
    Well this is interesting...Pentagon fears healthcare costs will erode readiness - The Boston Globe

    Because of an aging population and skyrocketing medical fees, the annual cost of military healthcare has more than doubled from $19 billion to $39 billion since 2001, according to Defense Department data. That number is expected to climb to $64 billion by 2015, Pentagon officials estimate, consuming roughly 12 percent of the defense budget.
    Looks like, since I took the time to look up your claim(something you should have done), I can document that...you are wrong, way wrong.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #39
    Educator Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Reality
    Last Seen
    06-08-14 @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    645

    Re: Should we trim down our Military????

    The size of our military is not what costs so much money. It's the weapons and technology.

  10. #40
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Should we trim down our Military????

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I've included several options..I think we can easily trim the armed forces in half and still be "safe". Our only threats are at least an ocean away and are not necessarily prominent or technologically advanced.
    I believe this was Rumsfield strategy for our future military, and experimented in Iraq, not a very good idea but the strategy was correct for the future. Rumsfield screwed up by attempting this while on a war footing, he wanted to develop small and fast strike forces through quick and prestaged small naval strike forces. Rumsfield spoke about armed forces being able to deploy to hostile zones within days and not months and to do this it would requires a much smaller, better equipment and trained armed forces. Moving large armed forces currently takes months, the logistics to do so is massive and expensive. Currently our armed forces are deployed and maintained around the world at great cost to the U.S. Cold war strategy is IMO obsolete and costly. Now to do this currently is not a good idea, especially with the economic conditions around the world, terrorism, saber rattling from rogue nations etc.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •