View Poll Results: Marriages without children should be dissolved

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agreed, dissolve them!

    2 3.23%
  • Disagree, marriage ain't just about children

    60 96.77%
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 203

Thread: Marriages without children should be dissolved

  1. #151
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    It doesn't,... but then again, it doesn't have to.

    For the umpteeeenth time "indifference and discrimination are not the same thing."

    A brother can't marry his brother and expect marital benefits (even in a gay marriage is legal State),.... are those brothers being discriminated against?
    They are if any state actually did allow brothers to get married, and the other states and the federal government weren't recognizing them as legitimately married. An example. In many states, including Arkansas and Delaware, to name a couple, first cousins are not allowed to marry, however, because of the Full Faith and Credit Clause in the Constitution, those states still have to recognize their marriage from other states that do allow them to get married as legal marriages. And the federal government recognizes their marriages as legal marriages as well. That is the difference.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    They are if any state actually did allow brothers to get married, and the other states and the federal government weren't recognizing them as legitimately married. An example. In many states, including Arkansas and Delaware, to name a couple, first cousins are not allowed to marry, however, because of the Full Faith and Credit Clause in the Constitution, those states still have to recognize their marriage from other states that do allow them to get married as legal marriages. And the federal government recognizes their marriages as legal marriages as well. That is the difference.
    If every marriage by law has to be recognized by every other authority, regardless.....

    Then no-State or government has any discretion or authority to define it at all.

    Thanks for solidifying my confidence that the government should have stuck with 'one manone woman' and should have remained indifferent to everyone else.

  3. #153
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    If every marriage by law has to be recognized by every other authority, regardless.....

    Then no-State or government has any discretion or authority to define it at all.

    Thanks for solidifying my confidence that the government should have stuck with 'one manone woman' and should have remained indifferent to everyone else.
    Right now, whether a state allows for a particular opposite sex couple to get married or not, if just one state allows that particular opposite sex couple to get married then that marriage must be recognized by all the other states and the federal government. So essentially, you are right, there is really no reason to have separate state laws for marriage, especially when they contradict laws of other states, but we do. Which is one reason that we have the 14th Amendment and the federal government.

    Also, to take this a little further, technically the Supreme Court could have left Loving v. Virginia with a ruling that just said that every state had to recognize interracial marriages from other states, without making it required that every state actually had to allow interracial couples to get married. Now, I think that it was completely right for the SCOTUS to decide to make those states legalize interracial marriage, but their really wasn't much in the Constitution, or even precedent, at that time anyway, that required that they had to make that happen. They really, Constitutionally just had to uphold the 14th Amendment and ensure that the laws that actually criminalized being in an interracial relationship of any kind be struck down.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #154
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Show me where I have ever denied gays the right to anything.

    You are so angry that you are loosing the ability to convey your thoughts or to see anything other than what you want to see.

    I feel sorry for you.
    Thanks for putting the important parts of my post in bold. This is so helpful for the other readers.

    I don't understand how you don't realize that denying gay couples the chance to get married and have that treated in the same way as a straight couple is denying the rights of the gay couple. You've locked on to this idea that man/woman marriage is the only good marriage. I don't know why you would think that. Many other posters and I have listed reasons this is not true but of course you refuse to acknowledge anything that doesn't fit with your belief.

    Yes, I am angry. I'm always angry when people are treated unfairly.

    I've also tired of the slippery slope argument. You know, the idea that if we allow gay marriage we have to allow incestuous marriages and let pedophile marry a child. Of course there have to be limits. The same limits that logical people always have. The people in the marriage should be consenting adults and do no harm. I do not know why this is so difficult to understand.

    You should really avoid saying things that aren't true. You don't feel sorry for me. You said that in a vain attempt to seem somehow better
    . If you need to do that I guess it's fine, but there is certainly no reason to feel sorry for me.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  5. #155
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    The Wiki article I linked to provides this information.

    I don't have time to cut and paste it for you.

    (here's part)

    "President Barack Obama's political platform included full repeal of DOMA.[12][13] However, on June 12, 2009, the Department of Justice issued a brief defending the constitutionality of DOMA in the case of Smelt v. United States of America, "
    Wikipedia is not considered a legitimate source. I thought you might want to know.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    Wikipedia is not considered a legitimate source. I thought you might want to know.
    I encourage others to use multiple sources (as I do myself in most cases.) That said, Wiki has a built in system (discussion threads) attached to most pages for you or others who question their validity to chime in and effectively improve the sites accuracy.

    I thought that you might want to know that as well.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    You should really avoid saying things that aren't true. You don't feel sorry for me. You said that in a vain attempt to seem somehow better. If you need to do that I guess it's fine, but there is certainly no reason to feel sorry for me.
    I feel sorry for you because you get yourself all worked up convincing yourself that I am doing something that I am not doing.

    Gay people can still marry and have their relationships, raise a family, etc. even in the absense of government recognition and incentives.

    What you seem to be seeking is legitimacy.

    And that's just something which the law can not force people to give you.

    Gay marriage, (for all it means to you) simply doesn't serve the general welfare needs on the nation that the one man one women relationship does. But don't feel bad. Neither do bigamist relationships, poligamist relationships or incestuous relationships (no matter how loving),... benefit the country's general welfare in the same way that the one man one woman relationship does.

  8. #158
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I feel sorry for you because you get yourself all worked up convincing yourself that I am doing something that I am not doing.

    Gay people can still marry and have their relationships, raise a family, etc. even in the absense of government recognition and incentives.

    What you seem to be seeking is legitimacy.

    And that's just something which the law can not force people to give you.

    Gay marriage, (for all it means to you) simply doesn't serve the general welfare needs on the nation that the one man one women relationship does. But don't feel bad. Neither do bigamist relationships, poligamist relationships or incestuous relationships (no matter how loving),... benefit the country's general welfare in the same way that the one man one woman relationship does.
    You have decided that gay marriage "doesn't serve the general welfare needs." You've offered no proof of this, because there is none. You don't like gay marriage so you are against it, which is your right. However, luckily, you don't get to decide for everyone. The recognition from the government that gay couples currently lack are not the things that make a marriage; they are the things that make a marriage and family safer. Those things such as survivor benefits, child custody, hospital visitation are rights that they deserve just as much as straight people. In this country, whenever rights are denied to a group of people we need to closely examine the reason why and in almost all case stop denying those rights.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    fyi Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    You have decided that gay marriage "doesn't serve the general welfare needs." You've offered no proof of this, because there is none. You don't like gay marriage so you are against it, which is your right. However, luckily, you don't get to decide for everyone. The recognition from the government that gay couples currently lack are not the things that make a marriage; they are the things that make a marriage and family safer. Those things such as survivor benefits, child custody, hospital visitation are rights that they deserve just as much as straight people. In this country, whenever rights are denied to a group of people we need to closely examine the reason why and in almost all case stop denying those rights.
    1: Marriage (the government's recognition of a marriage) is not an absolute right. Not even for heterosexuals. (note; laws against incest, poligamy, bigamy, etc.)

    2: "It aint about me"

    3: I have been consistant in my views regarding the "general welfare" clause and have even made the comment;

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    We don't need 'gay marriage' for our society to survive in the same way that we 'generally' need one man one woman marriages.

    Sorry if it offends,... but it's true. We don't.

    I think the best arguements for gay marriages to be recognized is when the cases are made that it is best for the 'general welfare' needs of the nation.
    I still disagree with it in the end (as the nation has survived and flourished without it for 200 plus years),.... but it's still the hardest case to defend against.
    "
    Last edited by Chuz Life; 06-22-10 at 10:52 AM. Reason: clarification

  10. #160
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    1: Marriage (the government's recognition of a marriage) is not a right. Not even for heterosexuals. (note; laws against incest, poligamy, bigamy, etc.)
    Loving vs Virginia said marriage is a right.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •