View Poll Results: Marriages without children should be dissolved

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agreed, dissolve them!

    2 3.23%
  • Disagree, marriage ain't just about children

    60 96.77%
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 203

Thread: Marriages without children should be dissolved

  1. #131
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Public Poll, eh?

    How do we find out who voted 'yes'?

    Where do I click to reveal those two great 'thinkers'...??
    You click on the number of people who voted for either option. That is what worked for me.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually you are wrong. The Fourteenth Amendment has the Equal Protection Clause in it. This clause states ""no state shall ... deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws". Since homosexuality is, at the moment, a "suspect class" it is only subject to reasonable basis of a state interest. Although, it can be argued that with present evidence that homosexuality is most likely not a choice, that sexuality as a class, actually deserves at least intermediate scrutiny under the Equal Protection Clause. Either way, the government must at least have a reasonable basis for it being a "state interest" to limit marriage to opposite sex couples only. With the current arguments from the same sex marriage side, it is looking less and less like the "state" has a reasonable argument against same-sex marriage being provided equal protection.

    Where do you get that marriage is somehow the same thing as "protection" as mentioned in the 14th?

    You are really stretching now.

  3. #133
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Where do you get that marriage is somehow the same thing as "protection" as mentioned in the 14th?

    You are really stretching now.
    Marriage was viewed as such in Loving v. Virginia. Marriage is not only considered under the "Equal Protection Clause" of the 14th Amendment, but also the "Full Faith and Credit Clause". The biggest question is not whether marriage is covered under the Amendment, but rather if homosexual couples have a case under that Amendment. The main part of that is determining if the state can prove a reasonable interest in limiting marriage.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Marriage was viewed as such in Loving v. Virginia. Marriage is not only considered under the "Equal Protection Clause" of the 14th Amendment, but also the "Full Faith and Credit Clause". The biggest question is not whether marriage is covered under the Amendment, but rather if homosexual couples have a case under that Amendment. The main part of that is determining if the state can prove a reasonable interest in limiting marriage.
    Loving v. Virginia was a case regarding a bi-racial marriage between "one (white) man and one (black) woman." A sentiment that is in keeping with the traditional (now under DOMA) concept.

    How do you make the leap that their decision would automatically mean that same sex couples unions should be so recognized?

    Consider your own points against DOMA and such,... that it was too vauge or that it was poorply defined.

    Certainly, if the courts under Loving wanted to include "same sex unions" they could have.

    But they didn't.

  5. #135
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Loving v. Virginia was a case regarding a bi-racial marriage between "one (white) man and one (black) woman." A sentiment that is in keeping with the traditional (now under DOMA) concept.

    How do you make the leap that their decision would automatically mean that same sex couples unions should be so recognized?

    Consider your own points against DOMA and such,... that it was too vauge or that it was poorply defined.

    Certainly, if the courts under Loving wanted to include "same sex unions" they could have.

    But they didn't.
    Anti miscegenation were based on race. Anti gay marriage laws are based on gender. The government can not discriminate against either.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Anti miscegenation were based on race. Anti gay marriage laws are based on gender. The government can not discriminate against either.
    One man one woman,... hmmmm

    Yep.

    That includes both genders all right.

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    One man one woman,... hmmmm

    Yep.

    That includes both genders all right.
    Not very clever.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Not very clever.
    I think you have confused "sexual preference" with "gender" and you are expecting me to share in your confusion.

    The government does in fact have the right to define marriage as it sees fit for the "general welfare" and specifically with regards to naturalization (article 1, section8)

    You (and your like minded friends) keep ignoring that fact.

  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I think you have confused "sexual preference" with "gender" and you are expecting me to share in your confusion.
    Not confused in the least. I can do something legally that a woman can not do simply because I have a penis.

    The government does in fact have the right to define marriage as it sees fit for the "general welfare" and specifically with regards to naturalization (article 1, section8)

    You (and your like minded friends) keep ignoring that fact.
    , "The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States."

    I'll ask this even though marriage is not mentioned in the clause. Just how does keeping state recognition of gay marriage protect the general welfare of the populace?

  10. #140
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Marriages without children should be dissolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Loving v. Virginia was a case regarding a bi-racial marriage between "one (white) man and one (black) woman." A sentiment that is in keeping with the traditional (now under DOMA) concept.

    How do you make the leap that their decision would automatically mean that same sex couples unions should be so recognized?

    Consider your own points against DOMA and such,... that it was too vauge or that it was poorply defined.

    Certainly, if the courts under Loving wanted to include "same sex unions" they could have.

    But they didn't.
    That is a rather narrow way of looking at it. Especially considering the fact that at the time of Loving v. Virginia, homosexuality was still deemed to be a mental disorder. It has only been in the last 25 or 30 years that medical and psychological organizations in this country have come to classify homosexuality as a normal, healthy lifestyle of humans and has started to believe that a sexuality isn't a person's choice at all.

    The Court had no reason to make such a leap at that time. However, since now it is recognized that homosexuality is most likely not a choice and is a normal, healthy lifestyle, then there is no reason to continue to discriminate against them.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •