View Poll Results: Who should be directly in charge?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • The President

    2 10.00%
  • A Federal Agency

    6 30.00%
  • BP

    6 30.00%
  • An independant agency (NGO)

    1 5.00%
  • An international agency or the UN

    0 0%
  • Other

    5 25.00%
  • Rootabega

    0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Should Obama be directly in charge of the oil spill response

  1. #21
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Should Obama be directly in charge of the oil spill response

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    From the article, it says there are four fittings for four boats.



    What I am getting at is that there are more people than the dutch willing to help.



    According to Foreign Policy, thirteen entities that had offered the U.S. oil spill assistance within about two weeks of the Horizon rig explosion. They were the governments of Canada, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Republic of Korea, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United Nations.

    Read more: Here's The Real Reason America Refused International Help On The Oil Spill

    that's 13 entities.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #22
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Obama be directly in charge of the oil spill response

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    What I am getting at is that there are more people than the dutch willing to help.
    that's 13 entities.
    From that article:
    On the other hand, waivers of the Jones may be granted by the Administration in cases of national emergencies or in cases of strategic interest. It would appear the U.S. government's initial refusal to foreign help most likely stemmed from a mis-calculation of the scale and deepwater technological barriers for this unprecedented disaster, and/or perhaps ..... pride.
    Again, miscommunication and general screwedupness, which is normal for a new problem, whether it is in government, business, whatever. Especially considering that some foreign ships are working in the gulf despite a waiver.

  3. #23
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Should Obama be directly in charge of the oil spill response

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    From that article:


    Again, miscommunication and general screwedupness, which is normal for a new problem, whether it is in government, business, whatever. Especially considering that some foreign ships are working in the gulf despite a waiver.



    I don't need a degree from havard or bee a rocket surgeon to know it is idiotic to turn down help like this. Come on now...
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #24
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Obama be directly in charge of the oil spill response

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I don't need a degree from havard or bee a rocket surgeon to know it is idiotic to turn down help like this. Come on now...
    The initial assessment, was that 5k barrels per day were spewing. That assessment still stood at the time of the offer for help. It was determined that help was not necessary at the time. Later on, the estimates on the leak were changed and it was determined that help was needed. Now boats are coming in from other countries. Seems simple to me.

    The only problem here is that the government was too slow to respond, but that always happens in a new problem. I hate it, but it will always happen as it always has happened, at least as far as I can tell.

  5. #25
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Should Obama be directly in charge of the oil spill response

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    From that article:


    Again, miscommunication and general screwedupness, which is normal for a new problem, whether it is in government, business, whatever. Especially considering that some foreign ships are working in the gulf despite a waiver.
    In other words; incompetence.

    .

  6. #26
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Should Obama be directly in charge of the oil spill response

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    The initial assessment, was that 5k barrels per day were spewing. That assessment still stood at the time of the offer for help. It was determined that help was not necessary at the time. Later on, the estimates on the leak were changed and it was determined that help was needed. Now boats are coming in from other countries. Seems simple to me.


    I'd fire someone for less a miscalculation. It was incompetence that you described, and no. You wave it and you say yes, and stage them until you need them. The offer was there. he failed. he is still failing as these 13 countries are still on the outside..


    what is the excuse on day 58?



    The only problem here is that the government was too slow to respond, but that always happens in a new problem. I hate it, but it will always happen as it always has happened, at least as far as I can tell.

    Oh well.....


    Seriously this is not good enough. day 58 and he still has not done the right thing.


    Why has he not lifted the jones act?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #27
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Obama be directly in charge of the oil spill response

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I'd fire someone for less a miscalculation. It was incompetence that you described, and no. You wave it and you say yes, and stage them until you need them. The offer was there. he failed. he is still failing as these 13 countries are still on the outside..


    what is the excuse on day 58?

    I linked an article a while back that told of some foreign boats operating in our waters. It seems its already happening. I would also be rolling heads too. I agree that is something Obama should be doing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Oh well.....


    Seriously this is not good enough. day 58 and he still has not done the right thing.


    Why has he not lifted the jones act?
    I agree, its not good enough, but it always happens and I think it would be silly to expect any different. I don't like it, but this is not as simple as a hurricane flooding a city or planes hitting a building.

  8. #28
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Should Obama be directly in charge of the oil spill response

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I linked an article a while back that told of some foreign boats operating in our waters. It seems its already happening. I would also be rolling heads too. I agree that is something Obama should be doing.

    actually it's foreign equipment on domestic boats.






    I agree, its not good enough, but it always happens and I think it would be silly to expect any different. I don't like it, but this is not as simple as a hurricane flooding a city or planes hitting a building.



    I can't sit by while this is happening and say cest la vie.... its not like trying to roll school buses or send out fema trailers or whatever. he needs to waive the jones act now. It makes no sense to me why he's not.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #29
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,073

    Re: Should Obama be directly in charge of the oil spill response

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    In your opinion, do you think that Obama should be directly in charge of the oil spill response or should some other organization have that role?

    The reason I ask is I keep seeing people saying that Obama is not doing enough, but I don't believe he should be directly in charge. I am curious about other people's views on the matter.
    I do not believe it is Obama's responsibility to handle the oil leak. Its first BP's to fix the leak and clean up the mess and fix what ever collateral/financial damage that occurred because of the leak. Then the states and then if it is too much to handle for them then they ask the federal government for help. Then it falls onto what federal agencies whose job description it is to handle clean up. I think this attacking the president over BP is just payback for all the stupid libs who attacked Bush during Katrina.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #30
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Obama be directly in charge of the oil spill response

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    actually it's foreign equipment on domestic boats.

    I can't sit by while this is happening and say cest la vie.... its not like trying to roll school buses or send out fema trailers or whatever. he needs to waive the jones act now. It makes no sense to me why he's not.
    I will admit, I am not really studied on this issue because, and it may surprise you, I don't really care all that much. So whatever the equipment is, its coming in or in place.

    And I agree, heads will need to roll over this, but even with heads rolling and mounds of reforming and preparation for next time. I am quite confident that we will **** it up all over again. I think any agency would, public or private, unless they are practiced at it, like the Dutch.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do not believe it is Obama's responsibility to handle the oil leak. Its first BP's to fix the leak and clean up the mess and fix what ever collateral/financial damage that occurred because of the leak. Then the states and then if it is too much to handle for them then they ask the federal government for help. Then it falls onto what federal agencies whose job description it is to handle clean up. I think this attacking the president over BP is just payback for all the stupid libs who attacked Bush during Katrina.
    I largely agree, but I think the government does bear some responsibility too, if nothing else, for the national interest. However, given the nature of the problem, it does not surprise me that its taking this long and there are things that should have been done better.

    ---

    Ultimately though, I think this is unlike a flooding situation or an attack on our soil. We have dealt with floors and our military is constantly drilling to be ready for an attack. This, is a new problem in the sense that the government does not constantly prepare for it (nor do I think they should, this is pretty rare, even if it is devastating) and also it is an engineering problem which are not fixed by throwing people at it like you would a war or a rescue operation. It sucks that it happened, but I don't think its unusual to see what we are seeing under the circumstances.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 06-15-10 at 02:18 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •