View Poll Results: Is the Hallmark graduation card racist?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - clearly it is

    1 1.79%
  • No - clearly it is not

    55 98.21%
  • Not sure - it's not clear at all

    0 0%
  • Other - (write comment)

    0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Hallmark graduation card - racist?

  1. #31
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Hallmark graduation card - racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I don't think so.
    Being called a racist is one of the most disgusting things a person can be called. Since Obama became president the word is being thrown around all time, even by former presidents when discussing conservatives and the tea parties. I know it's just a political ploy by Dems and the Media to discredit the tea parties but it still hurts. I am not a racist. I don't care what color our president is, but just because he's black doesn't mean I should shut up and not speak out against the destruction of our country and constitution.
    If we were truly a racist country we would not have a black president. I will give Obama that much. He's not the one bringing race into it, though he's not speaking out against those who are.
    I think there's been a few incidents where someone's made a comment about there being certain racist elements in the Tea Party, or where some loser with no real standing or influence has said something about the TP maybe being racist, and the right seizes it and starts playing the poor pitiful victim, trying to claim that all the Democrats are calling them racist, and that racism is the only charge against them... the TP has played the "racist card" to an insulting level.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Hallmark graduation card - racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Accusing people of racism is not an example of racism. Never said it was.
    Sure it is.

    Only a racist could possibly imagine that, in a greeting card devoted to a space-fiction theme, that the phrase "black hole" refers to prostitutes of African descent.

    Only a racist could see the "Willy Horton Ad" and assume the GOP was "racist" for airing it. After all, not one single word indicates, on that ad, Willy Horton's race. All it shows is a bunch of men in convict uniforms, of various races, going out, then back in, a revolving door.

    But the NAACP's only purpose for existence today is the perpetuation of racism and the division of society along artificial racial lines. After all, blacks occupy positions in every high-market niche in American society today, from industry to media to the arts to government to the courts. The NAACP fulfilled it's purpose and should be allowed to die.

  3. #33
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Hallmark graduation card - racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Sure it is.

    Only a racist could possibly imagine that, in a greeting card devoted to a space-fiction theme, that the phrase "black hole" refers to prostitutes of African descent.

    Only a racist could see the "Willy Horton Ad" and assume the GOP was "racist" for airing it. After all, not one single word indicates, on that ad, Willy Horton's race. All it shows is a bunch of men in convict uniforms, of various races, going out, then back in, a revolving door.

    But the NAACP's only purpose for existence today is the perpetuation of racism and the division of society along artificial racial lines. After all, blacks occupy positions in every high-market niche in American society today, from industry to media to the arts to government to the courts. The NAACP fulfilled it's purpose and should be allowed to die.
    About the Willy Horton ad, I'd like to quote one of the Right's greatest strategists...

    "Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry Dent and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [the new Southern Strategy of Ronald Reagan] doesn’t have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster.
    Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?
    Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  4. #34
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Hallmark graduation card - racist?

    WGAF, I think some one has entirely to much free time on their hands or better yet a gold shoveler... you all do understand why I used shovel right..how pathetic.

  5. #35
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Hallmark graduation card - racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Sure it is.

    Only a racist could possibly imagine that, in a greeting card devoted to a space-fiction theme, that the phrase "black hole" refers to prostitutes of African descent.

    Only a racist could see the "Willy Horton Ad" and assume the GOP was "racist" for airing it. After all, not one single word indicates, on that ad, Willy Horton's race. All it shows is a bunch of men in convict uniforms, of various races, going out, then back in, a revolving door.

    But the NAACP's only purpose for existence today is the perpetuation of racism and the division of society along artificial racial lines. After all, blacks occupy positions in every high-market niche in American society today, from industry to media to the arts to government to the courts. The NAACP fulfilled it's purpose and should be allowed to die.
    I think you have taken my statement out of context.

    And, indeed, my statement is still correct:

    "Accusing people of racism is not an example of racism."

    That is not an incorrect statement.

    Accusing people unjustly of racism, however, could indeed be racism...But on the other hand, it could be a misunderstanding or intentional misinterpretation.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Hallmark graduation card - racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    About the Willy Horton ad, I'd like to quote one of the Right's greatest strategists...
    Yes. Don't waste any effort on forming your own opinion on the ad itself.

    That's what thinking people do.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Hallmark graduation card - racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I think you have taken my statement out of context.

    And, indeed, my statement is still correct:

    "Accusing people of racism is not an example of racism."

    That is not an incorrect statement.

    Accusing people unjustly of racism, however, could indeed be racism...But on the other hand, it could be a misunderstanding or intentional misinterpretation.
    Yes, accusing people of racism without evidence is itself a racist act.

    It's an act of malice with the intent to harm the character and reputation of the accused. It's no different than accusing a man of rape without evidence, or a bank teller of being light fingered without evidence.

    Which means the statement is in fact incorrect.

  8. #38
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Hallmark graduation card - racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Sure it is.

    Only a racist could possibly imagine that, in a greeting card devoted to a space-fiction theme, that the phrase "black hole" refers to prostitutes of African descent.

    Only a racist could see the "Willy Horton Ad" and assume the GOP was "racist" for airing it. After all, not one single word indicates, on that ad, Willy Horton's race. All it shows is a bunch of men in convict uniforms, of various races, going out, then back in, a revolving door.

    But the NAACP's only purpose for existence today is the perpetuation of racism and the division of society along artificial racial lines. After all, blacks occupy positions in every high-market niche in American society today, from industry to media to the arts to government to the courts. The NAACP fulfilled it's purpose and should be allowed to die.
    Actually - there are several reasons why the term 'black hole' is considered racist.
    For one - a lot of people think that anything with the term 'black' in it is racist in some way - black coffee, black humor - stuff like that.
    However, this really seared it into history as a racist term

    I disagree, however - it's scientific-related use to term somethign that "matter goes into and doesn't come out" is a common metaphor.

    You know, though, the old phrase "takes one to know one" - that's not really true, that's just childish jibber tossed around on a playground. In the real world you don't have to walk a mile in a man's shoes to identify with his situation in life. . . or to declare his actions racist. People are quite capable of viewing something - and deeming it for what it is or isn't.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 06-29-10 at 12:33 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #39
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: Hallmark graduation card - racist?

    are Black Holes not ominous?

    Your really stretching it to considering this racism.

  10. #40
    User stinagen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    07-03-10 @ 09:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    37

    Re: Hallmark graduation card - racist?

    hmm black wholes are racist i knew it
    dam you steven hawking you racist studying bastard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •