View Poll Results: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lowering taxes

    2 6.45%
  • Balancing budget

    21 67.74%
  • Expanding social programs (such as healthcare)

    1 3.23%
  • Maintaining strong military presence

    1 3.23%
  • Jump starting economy

    2 6.45%
  • Other ideas

    4 12.90%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

  1. #11
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

    actually enforcing the tenth amendment and returning the federal government to living within the boundaries set by the constitution would solve most of the problems



  2. #12
    Educator ronpaulvoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 04:25 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    627

    fyi Re: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

    See my comment on "Could You Support a Debt Reduction Plan like This?"

  3. #13
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

    What should come first? Jump starting the economy. Tax hikes, budget balancing, and entitlement reform are long-term problems. We need the economy to improve NOW, starting with another stimulus. Anyone bitching about the cost of a stimulus simply hasn't looked at the math. The cost of a non-repeating stimulus item on the long-term budget outlook is approximately nil.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #14
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Clearly the budget must be balanced. The US is at the moment running Irish/UK/Greek style budget deficits, and will quickly have their government debt reach Italian/Greek levels in few years and Japanese levels in a decade. If this continues.

    I am glad no eyes are on Japanese state debts atm
    That's because Japan's debt, like the United States but unlike Greece, is mostly held in its own currency. Therefore Japan can never be forced to default unless it wants to.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #15
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    07-21-10 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23

    Re: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What should come first? Jump starting the economy. Tax hikes, budget balancing, and entitlement reform are long-term problems. We need the economy to improve NOW, starting with another stimulus. Anyone bitching about the cost of a stimulus simply hasn't looked at the math. The cost of a non-repeating stimulus item on the long-term budget outlook is approximately nil.
    Stimulus Plans will not bring the economy back. Look at the difference between the 1920's depression that ended so quickly and the Great depression that was dragged out for so long. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. The economy will rebound when taxes are lowered and small businesses can expand and hire more people.

    The government, federal and state, must be cut, and taxes cannot be lowered as much as possible, because the interest that our children will have to pay for on this debt is unbelievable, however they must be lowered to the point that unemployment goes under 7 percent.

    Balancing the budget and giving people jobs should be at the top of the list.
    Last edited by Calabrese; 06-14-10 at 06:36 PM.

  6. #16
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

    I think we should balance the budget. However, unlike many of the conservatives who favor such a strategy, I would call for the increase of some taxes, along with the cutting or reform of some government programs. This is because I'm all for compromise, and favor legislation that both Republicans and Democrats alike will hate.

  7. #17
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    07-21-10 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23

    Re: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I think we should balance the budget. However, unlike many of the conservatives who favor such a strategy, I would call for the increase of some taxes, along with the cutting or reform of some government programs. This is because I'm all for compromise, and favor legislation that both Republicans and Democrats alike will hate.
    I think both sides would appreciate this approach

  8. #18
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

    It would be impossible to balance the budget without changing SS, changing Medicare, changing Medicaid, raising taxes or cutting military spending (would likely have to be a combination of all of these).

    I voted other as you didn't include cutting military spending in your poll. After that I'd change SS, Medicare and Medicaid. After that if the budget still isn't balanced, raise taxes.

  9. #19
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Calabrese View Post
    I think both sides would appreciate this approach
    They will until it's one of their programs whose funding gets cut.

  10. #20
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: What should come first regarding the Federal Budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    It would be impossible to balance the budget without changing SS, changing Medicare, changing Medicaid, raising taxes or cutting military spending (would likely have to be a combination of all of these).

    I voted other as you didn't include cutting military spending in your poll. After that I'd change SS, Medicare and Medicaid. After that if the budget still isn't balanced, raise taxes.
    The biggest change I would make to Social Security is pass a federal law that money paid into Social Security can be used only for Social Security programs. I would then try to pass it as a Constitutional Amendment to prevent future Congresses from repealing this law.

    I think we should also instantly cut all military (but not veterans) programs, services, and spending by a flat 5%. That way there won't be any bickering from the Pentagon about which programs will stay and which ones will go - all programs will be cut by an equal percentage.

    Medicare and Medicaid, I'm not so sure about, as I have little to do with it and haven't studied it as much and have little experience with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •