Looking at how the pilgrims and the puritans behaved in the early days, I would say that welfare is not un-American. They believed in working hard and changing your own lot, but they also believed in charity. I think today's Americans are much more selfish and complacent than those hard workers from history who had to struggle for their personal freedom in a foreign land, and to carve out a new life for themselves.
I think the right wing would call early Americans "socialist" these days.
Second, if people were truly charitable like the people of the early days, welfare would not be required. I have heard the argument that people should just donate to charities at will, but it's not enough, and in your rich country people should not be dying on the streets from starvation.
I agree that social programs are abused by politicians to get political points, but the programs are very much needed. Just because you are disconnected from the needs of the less fortunate of your society - and you obviously are, because if you genuinely knew how bad things can get you would not be arguing against welfare - does not mean that the problems do not exist or are being exaggerated.
Charity and welfare exist simultaneously. It is not one or the other, so your claim is bunk.
2) the main purpose of welfare-socialism is to gain political power. There are politicians who cater to those who produce and create wealth and then there are poltiicians who desire power and wealth and try to gain that by catering to those who want the wealth others produce. that avenue is welfare-socialism
3) libs have argued for ending or at least reducing tax credits for charitable contributions which would make charity more expensive
so you are wrong
deal with it
I guess you wouldn't know that because you're not a real conservative.
1) I used the term welfare socialism- I cannot help it you are not aware of what that means
2) You can believe that dems want to help the poor. I believe the rich dems claim that but in reality want to keep people dependent on the government and addicted to voting for dem politicians. I don't believe uber rich dems like Kerry really care about the poor. Rich dem charitable contributions are rather poor compared to similarly situated Republicans. I guess being a Canadian you have a special insight into what really motivates our wealthy welfare socialists
3) what is a real conservative? if your knowledge of conservative mirrors your ignorance on welfare-socialism this should be a good laugh