View Poll Results: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should be allowed to demand a traditional Christian moral code from all teachers

    40 41.24%
  • They should be allowed if they prove they apply the same standards to all teachers

    4 4.12%
  • They should be allowed, but that doesn't make it right

    22 22.68%
  • They are discriminating against women, since fornication is more obvious with them

    3 3.09%
  • If the school board members can prove they never fornicated, then they stand on solid ground

    3 3.09%
  • Christian schools should not be allowed to discriminate on moral grounds

    11 11.34%
  • Christians are the biggest bunch of hypocrites on the face of the Earth!

    8 8.25%
  • Other response

    6 6.19%
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 363

Thread: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

  1. #251
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Well at least you are a good person to agree to disagree with. Peace.
    Thanks Winston, I am trying. We all have opinions, I just like to debate and argue. I only get mad when people take it to the level of disparaging beliefs etc. I have been guilty of it in the past and I am trying very hard to remain civil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No they cannot. In fact, if anyone were to raise an issue with it, they would be paying through the nose for forcing it. You cannot forfeit religious freedom as a term of employment. I could maybe see it as a term of hire but no employer can deny one the right to convert or stop practicing religion altogether.
    Eh they aren't forced to work for that business, so I disagree. They aren't being denied religious freedom, since they willingly choose to work there. If they think the regulations are stupid (which they are, I agree), then they're free to leave and find a better employer.

    The idea that they're "denying people's rights" is just ridiculous.

    Though on the other hand I'll agree with you, that if it was Wal-Mart doing this instead of a "religious" organization, then the outcry would be a lot different (since declaring yourself "religiously-affiliated" gets you special privilages in this country).

    But personally I really could care less what a private business or organization does as long as it's not illegal. Hell, if someone wants to open a Neo-Nazi school that doesn't allow any non-whites, I wouldn't care since no one is forced to patronize it. They're only hurting their own business with rules like that anyway.

  3. #253
    Educator Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Reality
    Last Seen
    06-08-14 @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    645

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Eh they aren't forced to work for that business, so I disagree.
    Nor are black people forced to work for any given company.

    That doesn't alleviate the company from their legal responsibilities.

    That argument was made not long ago in our nation. It didn't stand the test of reason then, and it doesn't stand the test of reason now.

  4. #254
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    I think in this case, the (visible) morality of the teachers is very much part of the curriculum which means the school is right to enforce it.

    Not sure about the legalities of the situation though.

  5. #255
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    I am not going to read the thread. But the question in my opinion is ridiculous of course. If the employee performs their duties while at work correctly then the employer should continue with that persons employment. Personal actions away from work should not have any bearing on their employment. This is completely unacceptable to use as a reason for firing. What if they lied outside of work? or break some other religious morality? I would think this organization have a great deal of difficulty holding employees at all.

  6. #256
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I am not going to read the thread. But the question in my opinion is ridiculous of course. If the employee performs their duties while at work correctly then the employer should continue with that persons employment. Personal actions away from work should not have any bearing on their employment. This is completely unacceptable to use as a reason for firing. What if they lied outside of work? or break some other religious morality? I would think this organization have a great deal of difficulty holding employees at all.
    I think it depends on the job. If upholding some moral standard is in the job description than that is part of your job (the job of a priest comes to mind or perhaps a military officer). If your job doesn't involve that than it isn't part of your job.

    However, I think you are correct that these standards are nearly impossible to enforce well and end up making the enforcers looking like pricks or hypocrites.

  7. #257
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    I am no expert in employment law, but it does seem that certain jobs carry with them requirements that go beyond standard requirements, for example, being a lobbyist for an anti-smoking group while being a smoker.

    But if your job includes teaching a specific morality to kids, and you don't live by the morality that the employer wants you to have (no matter how stupid), then I'd agree that could be a reasonable job requirement.

  8. #258
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    I am no expert in employment law, but it does seem that certain jobs carry with them requirements that go beyond standard requirements, for example, being a lobbyist for an anti-smoking group while being a smoker.

    But if your job includes teaching a specific morality to kids, and you don't live by the morality that the employer wants you to have (no matter how stupid), then I'd agree that could be a reasonable job requirement.
    Well working as an anti smoking lobbyist would almost come with that prerequisite as the employer might want to discriminate on that matter from the beginning. Though I'm not a very big fan of discrimination as a whole erroring on the side that it is wrong to do generally. I would think as long as they have been employed and do their job fine over extended time period their is no grounds for firing based on individuals personal life style choice that has absolutely no effect on their job. I would have to say this is an unacceptable reason for firing. Only in the case where they break a public law sanctioned by the state should they be fire-able.

  9. #259
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I did a little more research and her lawyer is saying that the "moral code" they said she would be held to was only loosely defined prior to hiring. If this is the case, the school better have fired every teacher who was having premarital sex, or other "moral" breakdowns according to biblical values. Otherwise they were indeed discriminating against her for being pregnant.

    None of lawyers comments are facts yet, but this can and will change. As for the school other than the school commenting on the firing having nothing to do with the pregnancy itself, neither side has said that much.
    I would say the school only has to act on violations they are aware of, not all. They don't know who is having extramarital or premarital sex. The teacher confessed, therefore they were forced to act.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #260
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    One more caveat regarding this matter.. what if it was the owner of this private school who transgressed against the sanctity of whichever moral code it was? Isn't hypocrisy one of the most wide spread failure of moral convictions?

    Maybe he be forced to relinquish ownership of the said property and find another job?

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •