View Poll Results: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should be allowed to demand a traditional Christian moral code from all teachers

    40 41.24%
  • They should be allowed if they prove they apply the same standards to all teachers

    4 4.12%
  • They should be allowed, but that doesn't make it right

    22 22.68%
  • They are discriminating against women, since fornication is more obvious with them

    3 3.09%
  • If the school board members can prove they never fornicated, then they stand on solid ground

    3 3.09%
  • Christian schools should not be allowed to discriminate on moral grounds

    11 11.34%
  • Christians are the biggest bunch of hypocrites on the face of the Earth!

    8 8.25%
  • Other response

    6 6.19%
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 363

Thread: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

  1. #231
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    The teacher was interviewed on the TodayShow this morning (6/14/10) and stated she did not sign a maturnity clause w/her teaching contract which is typically required of most teachers who teach at private Christian/Catholic schools. If true, she'll win her case because she would have been unlawfully terminated based on her pregnancy being the reason why she was fired.

  2. #232
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post
    I'm only on page 4 of 20+ pages so if this was already addressed...sorry.

    Couldn't a legal case be made based on sex (gender). A woman might "show" that she's had sex outside of marriage because of a pregnancy, where a man would not have outward signs.

    That sounds like discrimination to me.



    ...back to reading through this thread
    She told them the baby was conceived 3 weeks prior to the wedding. Had nothing to do with her showing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #233
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The teacher was interviewed on the TodayShow this morning (6/14/10) and stated she did not sign a maturnity clause w/her teaching contract which is typically required of most teachers who teach at private Christian/Catholic schools. If true, she'll win her case because she would have been unlawfully terminated based on her pregnancy being the reason why she was fired.
    Again the school has stated she was not fired for being pregnant. She was fired for have premarital sex, a violation of the moral code. If the school can prove it was something she knew about, then they are correct and she will loose.

    Truth is school has said nothing else so again people are assuming she is not lying. She may be absolutely correct, but at this point no one knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #234
    Educator Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Reality
    Last Seen
    06-08-14 @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    645

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Again the school has stated she was not fired for being pregnant. She was fired for have premarital sex, a violation of the moral code. If the school can prove it was something she knew about, then they are correct and she will loose.
    That's hard to say actually. Even a very good attorney would have difficulty predicting the outcome on this one in a court of law I'd wager. The incident also took place in Florida, and we've all seen how their "court system" works in the past. The outcome is hazy at best.

    Fundamentally speaking, a person cannot sign away their rights - which includes the right to have sex. Regardless of the contract and the specific wording this remains true.

    For example, I cannot sign a contract giving up my legal right to vote. Well, I can sign it, but I can't be held to it.

    It's going to depend on the nuances of the case and what the exact laws are in the State of Florida. We're probably not going to get those details from any of the news outlets prior to the case being heard in at least one court.

    Frankly, if I were a bettin' man... I'd put my money on the teacher for this one.

  5. #235
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quick question. Say someone was working for an atheist organization and part of the employment contract was that they agreed not to attend any religious services/church. Say one of their employees was curious about Christianity and went to Mass one morning. The employer found out and fired that person, was his firing justified?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #236
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Quick question. Say someone was working for an atheist organization and part of the employment contract was that they agreed not to attend any religious services/church. Say one of their employees was curious about Christianity and went to Mass one morning. The employer found out and fired that person, was his firing justified?
    No...........

  7. #237
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    No...........
    If it is a private organization, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #238
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    No...........
    No because a term of employment cannot be forfeiture of your right to free religious expression.

  9. #239
    Educator Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Reality
    Last Seen
    06-08-14 @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    645

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No because a term of employment cannot be forfeiture of your right to free religious expression.
    Exactly.

    Which is why I also believe that the teacher will win this case. I'm not positive on that mind you, but like I said, "If I were a betting man."

    One can neither sign away their devotion, nor can they be contractually obligated for devotion. The teacher did nothing illegal in this case and it in no way impacted her ability to educate the students. I don't know for sure, but "if I were a betting man..."

  10. #240
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    As long as the organization like the Boy Scouts can legally ban gays from being Scout Masters, and religious organizations can ban people of different faiths, then yes they could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •