View Poll Results: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should be allowed to demand a traditional Christian moral code from all teachers

    40 41.24%
  • They should be allowed if they prove they apply the same standards to all teachers

    4 4.12%
  • They should be allowed, but that doesn't make it right

    22 22.68%
  • They are discriminating against women, since fornication is more obvious with them

    3 3.09%
  • If the school board members can prove they never fornicated, then they stand on solid ground

    3 3.09%
  • Christian schools should not be allowed to discriminate on moral grounds

    11 11.34%
  • Christians are the biggest bunch of hypocrites on the face of the Earth!

    8 8.25%
  • Other response

    6 6.19%
Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 363

Thread: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

  1. #211
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I never made the claim she was a child so your rebuttal to that is irrelevant.
    The point of that was to also show that she understands that her actions have consequences.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    It's an understood and implied agreement between the employer and the employee. It is also governed by federal labor laws.
    Which were not broken.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    And part of the risk an employer takes when they decide to be abusive and discriminate is that they get sued and pay through the nose for it. And I can almost guarantee that's what will happen. It will probably come in the form of the school settling first just to make the PR nightmare go away.
    It was a stupid move; I won't deny that, but it was perfectly legal.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  2. #212
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    They should be allowed to fire her...but not until after they've paid for her maternity leave. Otherwise it's no different than concocting some other bull**** excuse to fire an employee when they've requested maternity leave. In most states it is illegal to drum up some pretext to fire an employee who requests leave to which they are entitled.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 06-12-10 at 06:14 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #213
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    What does her employment contract state?

    It is unreasonable (in most cases) for an employer to dictate all of your behavior, especially off hours time. However, if the contract does include a clause about behavior reflecting upon the school, then that's another story.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Again the school is a private business,she agreed to go by that private business' standards and she is in a at will state so they can fire her for what ever reason they feel,heck they do not even have to supply a reason for her being fired.
    The fact that she was pregnant got her fired. That is a violation of federal law. The school made a serious error and it is going to cost them some money.

    Lets just agree to disagree.

  5. #215
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    What does her employment contract state?

    It is unreasonable (in most cases) for an employer to dictate all of your behavior, especially off hours time. However, if the contract does include a clause about behavior reflecting upon the school, then that's another story.
    Truth is we don't know. They said they have a "moral" clause that was made clear to her upon hiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #216
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No it does not.

    So if an employee steals money and gets fired. She can then sue because she was pregnant?

    I guess no company can ever fire a pregnant woman for any reason? Seriously, that is your argument?

    PS that is most definitely NOT the Federal law.
    No, that is not my argument... seriously, is that your conclusion?

    I showed the Federal Law, the debate is over. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #217
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Why are you assuming that these people judging her have had premarital sex?
    Do you have statistics or research on that?
    There was no assumption. That is what we do and have always done. I thought it was common knowledge.

    The study, which used statistics from the 1982, 1988, 1995 and 2002 National Survey of Family Growth, asked about 40,000 people ages 15-44 about their sexual behavior and traced the trends in premarital sex back to the 1950s.

    Of those interviewed in 2002, 95% reported they had had premarital sex; 93% said they did so by age 30. Among women born in the 1940s, nearly nine in 10 did.


    Most Americans have had premarital sex, study finds - USATODAY.com
    Do not write in this space!

  8. #218
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    No, that is not my argument... seriously, is that your conclusion?

    I showed the Federal Law, the debate is over. Sorry.
    If she was not fired for being pregnant, the Federal law does not apply even if she is pregnant. You said she was fired and because she was pregnant at the time, and so it was illegal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    They can say that she was fired for any reason, the result is the same. She was fired when she was pregnant, and that violates the Federal Law. End of story. *shrugs*
    This is not the case according to the school. Since we don't have all the evidence, we can't know for certain either way.

    So my point stands and your argument is completely out of the realm of reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #219
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    It makes that code a lie for them personally, and for just about all of the rest of us.
    Well, yes. I personally view that code as a goal to shoot for that no one ever reaches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Pregnancy Discrimination
    Pregnancy discrimination involves treating a woman (an applicant or employee) unfavorably because of pregnancy, childbirth, or a medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth.


    Firing her is treating her unfavorably... is it not? It would have been legal if she had not been pregnant, she has a loophole since she is pregnant. The fact that she is pregnant is what makes it illegal. It is right there in plain English. Agreed, if she was not pregnant, she would have no case.
    You obviously misunderstood my point.

    As I understand it, she was not fired because of her pregnancy.

    If that is your contention, please prove to me that she was, as I have not seen anything that indicates such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    As usual, you're incorrect. People on the right generally have a very hard time understanding the fact that their religious beliefs are not the law. The fallout from this case will be the first of many lessons that lighten their pocketbooks.

    The school fired her for being pregnant. Also, what she does outside of school hours is not the school's business. They have no right to do what they did and they are going to lose their shirts over it. Their moral code is NOT the law. What that instructor does in her personal life is NONE OF THE SCHOOL'S BUSINESS.

    The school was wrong and anybody who supports their Nazi behavior is wrong.
    My understanding of the situation leads me to the conclusion that you are incorrect.

    Thus, please prove your statements.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    No, that is not my argument... seriously, is that your conclusion?

    I showed the Federal Law, the debate is over. Sorry.
    Iíve seen that several times in this thread already Ė What part of the incident indicates to you that this portion of the Federal Law applies to this case?

    Additionally, donít you think her lawyer would have mentioned it if such a legal violation had occurred?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #220
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    If she was not fired for being pregnant, the Federal law does not apply even if she is pregnant. You said she was fired and because she was pregnant at the time, and so it was illegal...



    This is not the case according to the school. Since we don't have all the evidence, we can't know for certain either way.

    So my point stands and your argument is completely out of the realm of reality.
    If my argument is within the realm of reality, since that is where I live, then it is in the realm of reality and not completely out of the realm of reality.
    As to the rest, I disagree. I think that we just have to wait and see what the outcome is, since they might just tack on premarital sex to the list of things
    that are illegal to discriminate against.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •