View Poll Results: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should be allowed to demand a traditional Christian moral code from all teachers

    40 41.24%
  • They should be allowed if they prove they apply the same standards to all teachers

    4 4.12%
  • They should be allowed, but that doesn't make it right

    22 22.68%
  • They are discriminating against women, since fornication is more obvious with them

    3 3.09%
  • If the school board members can prove they never fornicated, then they stand on solid ground

    3 3.09%
  • Christian schools should not be allowed to discriminate on moral grounds

    11 11.34%
  • Christians are the biggest bunch of hypocrites on the face of the Earth!

    8 8.25%
  • Other response

    6 6.19%
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 363

Thread: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

  1. #121
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    They can say that she was fired for any reason, the result is the same. She was fired when she was pregnant, and that violates the Federal Law. End of story. *shrugs*
    No it does not.

    So if an employee steals money and gets fired. She can then sue because she was pregnant?

    I guess no company can ever fire a pregnant woman for any reason? Seriously, that is your argument?

    PS that is most definitely NOT the Federal law.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 06-11-10 at 12:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Did you even bother to read the story? She was not fired for being pregnant. She was fired for pre-marital sex. Which the school says violated their moral code which she was made aware of when she was hired.

    This has nothing to do with the far right or anything political.
    Based on THEIR morals created by THIER religion which they CANNOT force on others. If not for her being pregnant, they would never have known, therefore pregnancy caused her termination. As such, the school violated federal law and they need to be severely punished. I think 12 million dollars is a fair settlement for the plaintiff in this case.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No it does not.

    So if an employee steals money and gets fired. She can then sue because she was pregnant?

    I guess no company can ever fire a pregnant woman for any reason? Seriously, that is your argument?

    PS that is most definitely NOT the Federal law.
    You apples to oranges comparison does not hold water. She was fired because she was pregant and unmarried. They did not fire her being unmarried.

    The christianazi assholes who run that school DO NOT have the right to force their beliefs on others.

    I am sorry, BD, but you are incorrect. The school fired a woman for being pregnant and that IS a direct violation of FEDERAL LAW.

  4. #124
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Based on THEIR morals created by THIER religion which they CANNOT force on others.
    Yes they can just like the school that had a "moral code" and kicked the kid out and would not let him graduate for going to prom. Oh that one never made it to court either.

    When a person is hired and asked to follow a moral code by a private entity, they can be terminated for breaking that code.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    If not for her being pregnant, they would never have known, therefore pregnancy caused her termination.
    Ooops! Wrong again:

    She said when asked, she admitted that the baby was conceived three weeks before the wedding. A week later, she said the school fired her. - FOXNews.com - Fla. Christian School Fires Teacher Over 'Fornication' Claims

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    As such, the school violated federal law and they need to be severely punished. I think 12 million dollars is a fair settlement for the plaintiff in this case.
    Yea just like the prom school settlement.

    You mite want to read the story and the laws in Florida.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 06-11-10 at 01:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #125
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    You apples to oranges comparison does not hold water. She was fired because she was pregant and unmarried. They did not fire her being unmarried.
    You are absolutely correct. They fired her for premarital sex.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The christianazi assholes who run that school DO NOT have the right to force their beliefs on others.
    Then the teachers and students are free to go and teach or learn at a public school. Since this is a private school, they most certainly can.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I am sorry, BD, but you are incorrect. The school fired a woman for being pregnant and that IS a direct violation of FEDERAL LAW.
    No it's not and just like the prom thing you will be shown wrong again Vader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    She isn't a child. She is an adult who is able to understand the consequences of her actions.
    I never made the claim she was a child so your rebuttal to that is irrelevant.

    If that wasn't part of the arrangement that she agreed to than she shouldn't have accepted it.
    It's an understood and implied agreement between the employer and the employee. It is also governed by federal labor laws.

    That's part of the risk that one takes.
    And part of the risk an employer takes when they decide to be abusive and discriminate is that they get sued and pay through the nose for it. And I can almost guarantee that's what will happen. It will probably come in the form of the school settling first just to make the PR nightmare go away.

  7. #127
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    I always find the moralists on this particular subject silly. See, almost all of them had premarital sex, just like almost all of us here on this thread and everywhere else in the world.

    Before somebody here says it isn't right just because everybody else does it, I'll just say it is normal. It's what we do. We have a sex drive, and we act on it. Make it morally wrong if you want to (not you personally, necessarily), but it is the normal way humans behave.
    Why are you assuming that these people judging her have had premarital sex?
    Do you have statistics or research on that?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #128
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    I dont think a school, Christian or not should have a rule against unmarried adult staff having sex as part of their private life, outside school time, and outside of the school.

    So, they fired her? So much for Christian forgiveness.

  9. #129
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mell View Post
    I dont think a school, Christian or not should have a rule against unmarried adult staff having sex as part of their private life, outside school time, and outside of the school.
    It would have stayed private had she not told them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mell View Post
    So, they fired her? So much for Christian forgiveness.
    She broke the moral clause that was explained to her upon hiring. Her fault, not that of the school forgivness or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #130
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should a Christian school be allowed to fire a teacher for fornication?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    It's an understood and implied agreement between the employer and the employee. It is also governed by federal labor laws.
    Which has been shown numerous times does not apply here. The state laws are clear and show no violation.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    And part of the risk an employer takes when they decide to be abusive and discriminate is that they get sued and pay through the nose for it. And I can almost guarantee that's what will happen. It will probably come in the form of the school settling first just to make the PR nightmare go away.
    As I said before, I would be willing to make a little wager on that. You up for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •