View Poll Results: Do you own or does someone in your household own a firearm?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    57 52.78%
  • No

    51 47.22%
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 216

Thread: Do you own or someone in your household own a firearm?

  1. #191
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Do you own or someone in your household own a firearm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Pardon me, but what exactly are cop-killer bullets?
    metal jacketed, armor piercing rounds.

  2. #192
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Do you own or someone in your household own a firearm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Pardon me, but what exactly are cop-killer bullets?
    Realistically, anything over .40 cal is probably likely to penetrate a bullet proof vest that a police officer wears.

    As for the fantasy world of "cop killer bullets", I'm not sure how they made bullets that only kill cops or why they would make them.
    Seems pretty crazy to me.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #193
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Do you own or someone in your household own a firearm?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    metal jacketed, armor piercing rounds.
    All bullets have metal jackets.

    "Armor piercing rounds" is highly subjective, considering that all armors are not made to withstand all bullets.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #194
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Do you own or someone in your household own a firearm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    All bullets have metal jackets.

    "Armor piercing rounds" is highly subjective, considering that all armors are not made to withstand all bullets.
    How Do Armor Piercing Bullets Work? - Bulletproof vests don't protect against them - Softpedia

    The armor piercing bullets fired from rifles are strengthened with a copper or cupro-nickel jacket, much like the jacket that surrounds lead in a conventional projectile, a jacket which is destroyed upon impact to allow the penetrating charge to continue its movement through the targeted substance.

  5. #195
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Do you own or someone in your household own a firearm?

    All bullets have a metal jacket.

    What they article is referring to is the bullet itself being made out of a harder metal than lead.
    These bullets contain a even harder core, like steel, which continues to move while the outer shell is destroyed, on impact.

    Poor wording for the person writing the article.

    This picture should help,



    As for "cop killer bullets", that is just emotional bait language for people who are ignorant of firearms and ammunition.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #196
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Do you own or someone in your household own a firearm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    All bullets have a metal jacket.

    What they article is referring to is the bullet itself being made out of a harder metal than lead.
    These bullets contain a even harder core, like steel, which continues to move while the outer shell is destroyed, on impact.

    Poor wording for the person writing the article.

    This picture should help,



    As for "cop killer bullets", that is just emotional bait language for people who are ignorant of firearms and ammunition.
    Not all bullets have a metal jacket. Standard Ball, usually used for "plinking" doesn't have a metal jacket. Many carbine rounds such as .30 carbine often don't either. I was just trying to give a brief explanation of what the term "cop-killer" rounds meant, briefly.

  7. #197
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you own or someone in your household own a firearm?

    This just proves that you cannot believe everything you read on the internet.
    AP bullets are AP because of their hard metal core, not their jacket.

    Never mind that a standard hunting round from just about any centerrifle will defeat the vast majority of vests worn by police
    Last edited by Goobieman; 06-21-10 at 10:50 AM.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Do you own or someone in your household own a firearm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    For home defense, a good "Beginner gun" is the Remington 870 12 gauge pump shotgun. Buy shells in that 12 gauge rating that are 00 or 0 in the shot-number, known as "buckshot". As an added advantage, you can hunt game of varying sizes with it tolerably well.

    If you want a handgun, a good beginner handgun would be a .38 revolver. Smith and Wesson is good. Ruger is okay, and considerably cheaper. Don't get a snubbie unless you're planning to do the concealed carry thing, which is fine but I don't get that impression from what you're saying.

    A more serious handgun would be the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm, semi-automatic pistol. This is the weapon that most of the pro's are going to these days.
    You know some stuff! This is exactly the kind of help I need. Thank you. My sister should get one too.

  9. #199
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you own or someone in your household own a firearm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    For home defense, a good "Beginner gun" is the Remington 870 12 gauge pump shotgun. Buy shells in that 12 gauge rating that are 00 or 0 in the shot-number, known as "buckshot". As an added advantage, you can hunt game of varying sizes with it tolerably well.

    If you want a handgun, a good beginner handgun would be a .38 revolver. Smith and Wesson is good. Ruger is okay, and considerably cheaper. Don't get a snubbie unless you're planning to do the concealed carry thing, which is fine but I don't get that impression from what you're saying.

    A more serious handgun would be the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm, semi-automatic pistol. This is the weapon that most of the pro's are going to these days.
    I agree fully. Beginners shoul trend towards revolvers and pump-action shotguns as they are less prone to failure.

  10. #200
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do you own or someone in your household own a firearm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I agree fully. Beginners shoul trend towards revolvers and pump-action shotguns as they are less prone to failure.
    True. Rossi, Taurus and Charter Arms make great little .38 revolvers for the money. S&W is a great gun, but much of what you are paying for is the name (no problem with that, it's just an expensive name). Revolvers are great for beginners and women who don't have the hand stength required for semi-automatics. The safest gun for the beginner is the revolver.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •