View Poll Results: What does redneck refer to

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • It refers to a culture

    76 90.48%
  • It refers to a race

    8 9.52%
Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 363

Thread: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

  1. #211
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    I personally have less a problem with the Stars and Bars than many do. In fact, I find it much less intimidating in the South than I do in the North - because you can pretty much know the motivation of a Northerner flying it; where you can't necessarily know in the South.

    That said, I'm trying to point out the irony of how one side is trying to say: Don't use redneck. It's offensive. And while doing so, proudly using a symbol that is equally offensive to others.

    It's one side trying to claim the right to define every word and symbol.

    My flag isn't racist if you think it is. Redneck is offensive, even if you say you mean no offense by it.

    Do you see?
    Black Guy: "What up nigga!!!"

    ___

    White Guy: "What up nigga!"
    Black Guy: "Don't say nigga, you racist cracka!".
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #212
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chinle, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-29-10 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    276

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, I'm glad to hear that's how you feel it is out in Arizona.

    Living in the south, and a rural portion of the south for most of my life...."rednecks", "Hillbillys", "hicks", and other connotations were hardly rare things that only a minority of the population uttered or were referenced as, as if it was a minor occurrence. Conversely, not having grown up in a large city, during that time I had rarely if ever heard of any of the black individuals in my school or that I knew around the area called "Ghetto". I would dare say the frequency of when and how those types of people are referenced as such depends on the location you're at at a given time.

    For purely anecdotal evidence...go look at the audience of any comedy show with Jeff Foxworthy, or go thumb through any of his books with illustrations and count out how many black rednecks are depicted
    If I, as an English-speaking resident of the United States, asked you about the "white" accent or dialect, this question would be nonsensical; the speech patterns of white U.S. residents vary according to region. You'd presumably understand the "black" U.S. dialect as a reference to African-American Vernacular English, or "ebonics," sometimes termed "bad English" even as deviant white dialects are left unmolested.

    But the point is that few people would understand reference to "white" speech as reference to the specific dialect of rural Southerners, associated with rednecks and hillbillies, whereas most people would understand reference to "black" speech as reference to the "urban" dialect of the hood. The "ghetto" stereotype is more commonly associated with blacks as a whole than the "redneck" stereotype is with whites as a whole, and also plays a more critical role in policy issues, since it's more widespread.

  3. #213
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    And yet, again, Why do YOU get to define everything for everyone?

    Why do you get to define what the Confederate flag means, or that its totally acceptable to call someone a redneck but not call another person "ghetto" if they happen to be black.

    Because, to be honest, we all know that the above two definitions are more crammed down our throat by the ignorant media than The Patriot's version of the story.
    I don't see "ghetto" or "redneck" as racist terms. No one is calling Colin Powell or Condaleeza Rice "ghetto" nor are they calling Mitt Romney or Dennis Kucinic "Rednecks". Yes, the terms do line up with each race for the most part. This is due to education and economic issues for rural and urban areas. It's not racist because of the enormous disparity of the racial demographics of each location.

    I've seen black rednecks and white ghetto folk too.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #214
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    . I think in both cases the people taking the "Not About" route are essentially not, one and all, necessarily discounting that said thing was part of the reasons for it but instead taking issue with HOW its presented.

    For example, in regards to 9/11 and the War on Terror they take exception to the seeming way its been made out that Islam is seemingly morally bad and unquestionably evil and must be stopped. In regards to the Civil War its the implication and seeming notion that the North was fighting because they wanted the freedom and liberation of the Slaves because they found it morally reprehensible while the South was just pissed off that they wouldn't be able to use slaves anymore and they liked Slavery.

    In both cases, its a far more complex and nuanced situation than what the general presentation is, and because of it those that reject the common presentation tend to often go too far the other way by completely acting like that particular thing (Islam/Slavery) that unquestionably was a large factor in many of the secondary reasons didn't even play into it or played into it minorly.

    The economics, political, and territorial issues that helped spur on the creation of the Confederacy and the start of the war was, pretty much, stirred primarily above all else by the slavery issue. Would it have happened if not for the slavery issue? Quite possibly...but the historical facts is it was tied to that. So while it isn't like its often made out when done in simple terms, that the South just loved them some enslaving of people and wanted to keep doing that, Slavery was completely interwoven into all the various other reasons for the secession (either as a partial reason for that issue or as a major reason for it). This is similar to 9/11 where there were definite political, economical, and territorial issues that helped spur further the attack and it wasn't just because "Islam views us all as infidels and wants us dead so they attacked us" like its often presented in the most simplistic of terms; however the extreme following of Islams tenets and philosophies can be found completely interwoven into all the various other reasons for the attacks (either as a partial reason or as a major reason).

    Its always interesting to me how history can repeat itself and patterns routinely continue to play out over and over again.
    EXACTLY, thank you. I am not saying and have not said that slavery was not a factor... simply that it wasn't THE factor that caused the war, and the war was not purely a matter of the North, in their shining light of benevolent and minority-loving goodness, against the South portrayed as pure evil. It was much more complicated than that.

    And I reiterate: the modern South is no more (or less) racist than virtually any other part of the nation these days.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 12:32 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    I tend to believe it refers to a culture but I could be wrong.

  6. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    I don't see "ghetto" or "redneck" as racist terms. No one is calling Colin Powell or Condaleeza Rice "ghetto"...
    Perhaps not, but some crazy-ass mofos call them "niggers".
    I guess those would be the "rednecks".
    You know, like the ones who populate Stormfront?

  7. #217
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Well then, it seems your vote would be "it's cultural".
    Nooooooooooooooo, it wouldn't be. If I voted "cultural," that would indicate that I believed members of other races/ethnicities were eligible for the title of "redneck," and I don't believe that's true.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #218
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    So, when someone referred to racist shouts at the mural in Arizona as "redneckitude", you're saying that they implied it toward the entire South. When, of course, they were referring to racist individuals in Arizona.

    We can enter a rhetorical discussion here. I'm glad to. But rhetorical studies will tell you that intended message is only half of communication. How you are perceived by your audience is equally as important in communication.

    You can claim your intent all you like, but if you're not convincing your audience that the Stars and Bars aren't racist, then you're failing in your attempts to communicate. If those who would like the flag to be inclusive of Southern culture in general, then there would be Southern blacks and Southern Indians flying it proudly, too.

    It's about White regional pride. And that makes it racist.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Perhaps not, but some crazy-ass mofos call them "niggers".
    I guess those would be the "rednecks".
    You know, like the ones who populate Stormfront?
    Nice dodge, but you ignored the purpose of my post.

    Maybe because you don't like how its not fair to point out that a white person calling a particular black person "ghetto" is equal to someone calling a white southerner a "redneck".

    Its just a cultural thing after all.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #220
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Black Guy: "What up nigga!!!"

    ___

    White Guy: "What up nigga!"
    Black Guy: "Don't say nigga, you racist cracka!".
    The context of the word changes depending on who the speaker is. I would say that both of them are being ghetto.

    I know you are going to say that is racist. If it were in a vacuum it would be. Black people aren't going to forget the history of their status in this country. Things are better now, some say that things are equal, some still say that there is progress to be had. There are still people alive who experienced institutional racism. They tell the younger generation about these tails and it gives them a different perspective. These feelings take time to deplete. They have a half-life so to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •