View Poll Results: What does redneck refer to

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • It refers to a culture

    76 90.48%
  • It refers to a race

    8 9.52%
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 363

Thread: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So what you are saying is you would act like a savage, uncivilized, animal?

    Great, just give racist idiots more ammunition...
    I just have a foul temper.
    Everybody knows it.
    Thinking about the way blacks have been treated in the recent past makes me simultaneously want to puke and hurt someone.
    If I were black, if it were personal, if somebody had done these things to my grandparents, if my dad had been a child under Jim Crow... all I can say is, I'm glad most blacks have a more forgiving nature than I do and don't share my rotten disposition, or else none of us would be safe.

  2. #202
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Unbelievably, from what my research has been able to turn up, most owners did not actually beat their slaves much, if at all.
    Most of the slaves owned by my family, for instance, and even their children, remained with my family after emancipation and worked as sharecroppers. They had their own cabins and everything. The cabins are still there, on our land.
    If only the threat of torture had kept them there, they surely would've left as soon as the chance presented itself. They're human, after all.

    I think most owners treated their slaves more like retarded family members or valuable pets, prone to wander off if one wasn't careful.
    Not that this is more admirable than beating the crap out of them; it's heinous. It's appalling that intelligent adult human beings- generations of them- had to live this way, all of their human potential extinguished like that.
    But I don't think that all slave owners were cruel to their slaves. Especially the ones who only owned a few.
    They probably cared about their well-being, in a sick, twisted but genuine way.
    Which is actually worse, to my way of thinking.

    The past, blech. **** it.
    I understand that they didn't all beat their slaves. They didn't have to. Where were they going to go? They would stick out like a sore thumb. I'm just answering the unsupported claims that it was too expensive to keep them from running off. I don't buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #203
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    It's not true that the Civil War was "not about slavery," as some historical revisionists have claimed. It was not about slavery in its context as a moral issue, since the general public, Lincoln included, were typically adherents to doctrines of black racial inferiority. It was about slavery as an economic issue, with it being an integral staple of agrarian labor productivity in Southern states. It was about Southern resistance of Northern dominance, but resistance of perceived federal interests in abolition of an authoritarian institution, just as it was when the South resisted desegregation a century later.
    I find the whole "Not about slavery" and "all about slavery" thing an interesting and intriguing parallel to the discussions regarding 9/11 today and "not about Islam" and "all about islam" arguments. I think in both cases the people taking the "Not About" route are essentially not, one and all, necessarily discounting that said thing was part of the reasons for it but instead taking issue with HOW its presented.

    For example, in regards to 9/11 and the War on Terror they take exception to the seeming way its been made out that Islam is seemingly morally bad and unquestionably evil and must be stopped. In regards to the Civil War its the implication and seeming notion that the North was fighting because they wanted the freedom and liberation of the Slaves because they found it morally reprehensible while the South was just pissed off that they wouldn't be able to use slaves anymore and they liked Slavery.

    In both cases, its a far more complex and nuanced situation than what the general presentation is, and because of it those that reject the common presentation tend to often go too far the other way by completely acting like that particular thing (Islam/Slavery) that unquestionably was a large factor in many of the secondary reasons didn't even play into it or played into it minorly.

    The economics, political, and territorial issues that helped spur on the creation of the Confederacy and the start of the war was, pretty much, stirred primarily above all else by the slavery issue. Would it have happened if not for the slavery issue? Quite possibly...but the historical facts is it was tied to that. So while it isn't like its often made out when done in simple terms, that the South just loved them some enslaving of people and wanted to keep doing that, Slavery was completely interwoven into all the various other reasons for the secession (either as a partial reason for that issue or as a major reason for it). This is similar to 9/11 where there were definite political, economical, and territorial issues that helped spur further the attack and it wasn't just because "Islam views us all as infidels and wants us dead so they attacked us" like its often presented in the most simplistic of terms; however the extreme following of Islams tenets and philosophies can be found completely interwoven into all the various other reasons for the attacks (either as a partial reason or as a major reason).

    Its always interesting to me how history can repeat itself and patterns routinely continue to play out over and over again.

  4. #204
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    I can't really vote in this poll because I think that the term "redneck" refers to a subculture existing within a particular race (Caucasian).
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #205
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    All I can say is, if you're brown, I hope you never visit the all-white town of Vider, Texas. Especially not after dark.

    There is plenty of systematic racial discrimination- and systematically condoned racial violence- going on in plenty of isolated pockets all over the south.
    Less in the large cities, more in rural areas and small towns.
    All I can say is, if your white, I hope you never visit certain areas of more than 3,500+ cities across America, especially after dark.

    There is plenty of geographical racial discrimination - and systematically condoned racial violence - going on in plenty of isolated pockets all over the south, north, east and west.
    More in the large cities, less in the rural areas and small towns.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #206
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I can't really vote in this poll because I think that the term "redneck" refers to a subculture existing within a particular race (Caucasian).
    Well then, it seems your vote would be "it's cultural".

  7. #207
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    I just have a foul temper.
    Everybody knows it.
    Thinking about the way blacks have been treated in the recent past makes me simultaneously want to puke and hurt someone.
    If I were black, if it were personal, if somebody had done these things to my grandparents, if my dad had been a child under Jim Crow... all I can say is, I'm glad most blacks have a more forgiving nature than I do and don't share my rotten disposition, or else none of us would be safe.
    So since all the slave owners are dead, Who would you go after?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #208
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    A minority of rural whites are referred to as "rednecks." A majority of urban blacks could fall under the connotation "ghetto." The latter will therefore have a much stronger association with a general conception of African-Americans.
    Well, I'm glad to hear that's how you feel it is out in Arizona.

    Living in the south, and a rural portion of the south for most of my life...."rednecks", "Hillbillys", "hicks", and other connotations were hardly rare things that only a minority of the population uttered or were referenced as, as if it was a minor occurrence. Conversely, not having grown up in a large city, during that time I had rarely if ever heard of any of the black individuals in my school or that I knew around the area called "Ghetto". I would dare say the frequency of when and how those types of people are referenced as such depends on the location you're at at a given time.

    For purely anecdotal evidence...go look at the audience of any comedy show with Jeff Foxworthy, or go thumb through any of his books with illustrations and count out how many black rednecks are depicted

  9. #209
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    But why do those waving the flag keep waving it when people say, "I find that offensive."

    You can't claim to be offended at "redneck" when you keep putting a symbol that represents racism to many people in front of their faces even as you say it's not racist.

    You're doing the same thing as The_Patriot. You're claiming that you get to define all words and symbols your way and everyone else be damned.
    No, he is not letting someone elses whiney, misunderstanding, easily offended crybaby ass prevent him from showing his regional pride.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So since all the slave owners are dead, Who would you go after?
    The perpetrators of Jim Crow are far from "all dead", and white families, descendants of slave owners, reap the benefits of their ancestors' crimes against humanity to this day.
    Smugly, some of them, I might add.

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •