View Poll Results: What does redneck refer to

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • It refers to a culture

    76 90.48%
  • It refers to a race

    8 9.52%
Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 363

Thread: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

  1. #141
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Again, a very narrow perspective.

    I've studied the civil war very carefully. The primary causes and issues were economics and political power. Northeastern states dominated Congress and wanted to enact tariffs and other restrictions on trade that would destroy the south economically. Southern states responded by challenging Fedgov power, declaring provisions they considered intolerable "null and void" within their borders.

    Slavery was actually more of a side-issue, until Lincoln decided to make it a "causus belli", a propaganda tool to demonize the opposition and make the war seem like a glorious fight of good against evil, rather than its real causes: the greed of various Northern industrial and shipping concerns, and the desire of certain political figures to make the central government supreme over the states.

    Learn a little history.
    Oh, so it was the North's fault, yeah that was in none of the history books I've read. Or have any of my AP history teachers ever said that either. You can't get around it, slaver was the cause of the civil war. It just was, I don't care how many southern apologetic versions of the history you read it's not going to change that fact.
    And if you didn't know, there was a concentrated effort by southerners around the turn of the century to change history, and blame the civil war on anything but slavery, and to tear down the progress made by reconstruction. This started with the film "The Birth of A Nation" and was continued in the south with this so called "Gone with the wind history"

  2. #142
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post
    This is a world of compensations; and he who would be no slave, must consent to have no slave.
    --April 6, 1859 Letter


    We could do this all day long. The point remains that times change, the world changed.
    Lincoln sought freedom for slaves...........successfully.
    Lincoln sought to preserve the Union. Slavery had nothing to with it. not to mention that Lincoln was a racist and didn't wants whites and blacks living among each other. Lincoln didn't issue the Emancipation Proclamation until two years after the war began; plus it only applied to Confederate held territory. Places like Kentucky, Maryland and New Orleans were exempt, because they weren't Confederate held territories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Have you convinced people of that? If you have not - and you haven't - then you fail in your communication.

    Were you successful, blacks and other races would fly it.

    You don't win.
    Lack of comprehension is not my problem.
    If someone can't understand the message, even when it has been clarified time and again, it is not my duty to educate those who don't want to understand.

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    The swastika is actually a symbol in many Eastern religions - most predominantly Hinduism. How many Hindu temples in the US or Europe use that symbol anymore? Why - when they obviously could claim completely peaceful motives - do they choose not to use that symbol? Answer - because they understand that it's a symbol that has become hurtful to people. So, out of respect, they choose not to use it.

    It's about respect. No matter how hard you try, most people aside from Southern whites aren't going to see the Confederate as anything but a symbol of slavery and treason. It was also flown by whites in the South during the Civil Rights struggle specifically for the purposes of making sure Southern blacks knew their place. It's been adopted by many racist organizations.

    So, why do you want to associate with it if you know that's what it makes people think? Because even if it's not racist, it's at least a f*** you.
    I don't respect people that blame me for things I did not do.
    It's a two way street, you have to show it to get it and all my life I have operated as if race is of no importance to me, only character.

    What do I get in return?
    Constant implications that I am still a racist because of the place I was born.

    It's not right to always apply guilt be association.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #144
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's a commonly known fact.



    The South was fighting for it's freedom. BTW, the Confederate army was the first desgregated American army.
    Anyone want to take a shot at which colony was the first to legalize slavery and the first to criminalize it?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #145
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Oh, so it was the North's fault, yeah that was in none of the history books I've read. Or have any of my AP history teachers ever said that either. You can't get around it, slaver was the cause of the civil war. It just was, I don't care how many southern apologetic versions of the history you read it's not going to change that fact.
    And if you didn't know, there was a concentrated effort by southerners around the turn of the century to change history, and blame the civil war on anything but slavery, and to tear down the progress made by reconstruction. This started with the film "The Birth of A Nation" and was continued in the south with this so called "Gone with the wind history"
    I've shown you, as have others, that you were taught wrong. Lincoln, himself, stated that he went to war for taxes not slavery. Those are his words in the historical record that said it. He was so happy to leave slavery alone that he mentions the Corwin Amendment, which would have made slavery legal for all time. He wrote it and had Corwin submit it to Congress, which is why it's called the Corwin Amendment.

  6. #146
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Anyone want to take a shot at which colony was the first to legalize slavery and the first to criminalize it?
    Massachussets was the first to legalize it, for a British colony, and the first to criminalize it, but only after they sold all of their slaves in the south.

  7. #147
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Lincoln's own words from his first inaugural address disagrees with you.

    I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."

    In doing this there needs to be no bloodshed or violence; and there shall be none, unless it be forced upon the national authority. The power confided to me will be used to hold, occupy, and possess the property and places belonging to the government, and to collect the duties and imposts; but beyond what may be necessary for these objects, there will be no invasion -- no using of force against or among the people anywhere.
    Politics existed back then too. Lincoln didn't want to go to war, so he had to try to appease the southern states with statements like these. He actually was one of the first politicians to debate about the issue of slavery in his earlier days. And once the war broke out we saw his true feelings on the subject.

  8. #148
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Talk to some historians who have studied the civil war, and its causes, in detail. I have. Regardless of their political orientation or personal family background, they know the truth: the primary causes of the war were economic, and also a struggle over political power. Slavery was a relatively secondary issue.

    I took an advanced, graduate-level history course on the Civil War in college. My professor was a left-leaning world-traveller who grew up in the Northeast. His position on CW causes was what I've just said: it was mainly about economics and politics, not slavery.

    I can't compress a semester-long graduate-level course into a post or two for you, however.

    If you're determined to remain ignorant, help yourself. Otherwise, you need to study the matter a bit more. Your viewpoint at present is very shallow and uninformed.
    It doesn't matter when we're discussing rhetoric. This is about communication. I know my history and you're arrogant to assume so.

    I can't really compress an entire collegiate career in studying communications (and film, but that's beside the point), but what I'm saying is that you fail to alter the symbol of the flag into what you claim it is. If you've been unable to remove the offense from the symbol - especially in its use by racists in the 1950s and 1960s - then you're failing in your communication.

    To ignore the perception of the audience - 50% of the process of communication - mean that you fail in your effort to communicate. To then blame the audience is yet a further failure of communication.

    Here's how the process has worked:

    I choose to show the Confederate flag.

    You say, I find that flag offensive.

    I say, I don't mean it offensively. I mean it as a show of regional pride.

    You say, why do only Southern whites show the flag, then?

    I say, I still don't mean it offensively.

    You say, well, it's offensive.

    I continue to fly the flag.

    I'm - AT BEST - saying f*** you with it. If I continue to do something that you find offensive, I'm disrespecting you.

    If the Confederate flag is merely about regional pride, why isn't it flown by Southern blacks?

    If "redneck" is a racist term because it's only directed at whites, then the Confederate flag is racist because it's only flown by whites.

    Once more, this is a game of you getting to decide everything and everyone else having to accept your interpretation or they can f*** off.

    This isn't about the complex history of the Civil War and things like the Kansas/Nebraska compromise (see, I know my history as well). This is about communication. There is a failure of Southern whites to communicate the need to maintain a symbol that is offensive to many. When told they find it offensive, the response is basically a big f*** you.

    You just called me "shallow and uninformed" for expressing my opinion. So, who's more shallow? The one who says "f*** you" when someone says, I'm offended - or the person who initiates the offense?

  9. #149
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Oh, so it was the North's fault, yeah that was in none of the history books I've read.have any of my AP history teachers ever said that either. You can't get around it, slaver was the cause of the civil war. It just was, I don't care how many southern apologetic versions of the history you read it's not going to change that fact.
    And if you didn't know, there was a concentrated effort by southerners around the turn of the century to change history, and blame the civil war on anything but slavery, and to tear down the progress made by reconstruction. This started with the film "The Birth of A Nation" and was continued in the south with this so called "Gone with the wind history"

    That's because you've probably never read anything other than revisionist history.

    What's slavery?

    Is it when a person is forced to work at a factory, getting paid less per week than it costs to live, so he has to take out credit at the company store and can't leave for a better job until he pays off the company store, but since he'l never make enough money, that will never happen and if he just up-n-quits, he can go to prison? Is it slavery when 12 y/o kids are forced to work 12+ hours per day?

    What's next? You're going to tell us that the North went to war with the South to end slavery?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    The Civil War was more about states rights than about freeing slaves.

    Lincoln wasn't primarily concerned with slavery.

    He wrote (in a letter to Horace Greeley in 1862):

    "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union."

    To some extent, I believe our history books and history teachers- at least at a primary school level- have taught us an erroneous, sanitized version.
    History is written by the winners.
    School history texts are written and published primarily in the North.
    Why would they want to tell schoolchildren that both sides were equally unconcerned with the plight of the slave?
    Lincoln the heroic crusader for black rights makes a much nicer fairy tale.
    Last edited by 1069; 06-06-10 at 03:29 PM.

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •