View Poll Results: What does redneck refer to

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • It refers to a culture

    76 90.48%
  • It refers to a race

    8 9.52%
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 363

Thread: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

  1. #111
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Why does the poll not offer "both"?

  2. #112
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Why does the poll not offer "both"?
    Because I wanted people to make a hard choice and allowing both would be a copout I felt.

  3. #113
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    IMO people who wave the Confederate flag are no better than people who display the Nazi swastika in a place of honor.
    Using your criteria then Old Glory is no better than the Nazi Swastika. Slavery and genocide are attached to Old Glory. The Confederate flag only had slavery attached to it. My family fought and died for the Confederate flag because of the Union army raping, killing, and stealing from them then burned down the family farm in 1861. Old Glory is just like the Nazi Swastika if you include the rapes, murders, stealing, and burning down of entire towns by the Union Army.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Post documentation where someone used redneck to refer to someone who isn't white.
    Well, there are similar pejoratives in spanish: paleto. pueblerino. Even "indio" is sometimes used as a pejorative for someone who is acting like an unsophisticated country bumpkin.

    These words aren't typically used to describe white people.
    I'm sure every race, ethnic group, culture, and language has words that translate to "yokel" or "ignorant, low-class country bumpkin", even when no white people are present.

  5. #115
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Nowhere does it say we have a right to not be offended.

    I hear and see things that offend me every damn day. Mostly I walk on and go on about my business.

    In another thread, a month or two ago, I explained in detail why many Southerners view the Stars and Bars as a symbol of regional and cultural pride, and not as a symbol of racism (let alone slavery). I won't go into all that again, look it up if you like.

    Yes, I'm aware that many people choose to view it as a symbol of racism. That would be why I don't usually fly it myself, but I support the right of any Southerner who is flying it as a symbol of heritage, not hate, to do so.
    I personally have less a problem with the Stars and Bars than many do. In fact, I find it much less intimidating in the South than I do in the North - because you can pretty much know the motivation of a Northerner flying it; where you can't necessarily know in the South.

    That said, I'm trying to point out the irony of how one side is trying to say: Don't use redneck. It's offensive. And while doing so, proudly using a symbol that is equally offensive to others.

    It's one side trying to claim the right to define every word and symbol.

    My flag isn't racist if you think it is. Redneck is offensive, even if you say you mean no offense by it.

    Do you see?

  6. #116
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Using your criteria then Old Glory is no better than the Nazi Swastika. Slavery and genocide are attached to Old Glory. The Confederate flag only had slavery attached to it. My family fought and died for the Confederate flag because of the Union army raping, killing, and stealing from them then burned down the family farm in 1861. Old Glory is just like the Nazi Swastika if you include the rapes, murders, stealing, and burning down of entire towns by the Union Army.
    Except for the fact that it was your side that committed treason in the first place.

    It is - to many - a symbol of treason and racism. You can think what you will of the American flag. It's your right. But you have to know that many people find the Stars and Bars offensive.

    So why do you continue to show it - saying that it doesn't mean what we think it means; but then complain about "redneck" as being offensive?

    Again, why do you get to set all the terms here?

  7. #117
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    But why do those waving the flag keep waving it when people say, "I find that offensive."

    You can't claim to be offended at "redneck" when you keep putting a symbol that represents racism to many people in front of their faces even as you say it's not racist.

    You're doing the same thing as The_Patriot. You're claiming that you get to define all words and symbols your way and everyone else be damned.
    The meaning behind the usage is how I define it.
    When people use the generalized insult "Redneck" to refer to the near entirety of the South.
    They are doing so in a manner to insult and belittle those who live there based on racial/cultural/historical/elitist reasons.

    When a person waves a Confederate flag, their intent is, largely, not about enslaving Black people.

    There is a difference and it's totally about the intent behind the usage.
    What message is the user of the speech trying to reflect with their usage?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #118
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    In another thread, a month or two ago, I explained in detail why many Southerners view the Stars and Bars as a symbol of regional and cultural pride, and not as a symbol of racism (let alone slavery). I won't go into all that again, look it up if you like.

    Yes, I'm aware that many people choose to view it as a symbol of racism. That would be why I don't usually fly it myself, but I support the right of any Southerner who is flying it as a symbol of heritage, not hate, to do so.
    Oh yes, the its our heritage argument. Let me tell you thats bull. I'm a southerner,and I know my family's heritage, and it's not one I'm proud of. My family weren't abolitionist fighting to free the slaves, they were slave owners. My family owned a large amount of slaves back in the day, and I wouldn't say that is something that I want to honor. I love living in Georgia, and I love Atlanta, but I'm not going to equate my love of where I live now with that flag, and use that as a symbol of the south. It was a symbol of racism, hatred, and treason. Any patriotic American would never fly the Confederate flag, because the CSA almost destroyed our country.

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Got any proof to your hyperbole?

    Oh, and in 1861 those states didn't want any American to have freedom.
    It's a well-known fact that proportionally, far more military personnel enlist from the Southern states than any other region of the US. Look it up.

    Your second sentence is completely fallacious. The causes of the Civil War were complex and slavery was only one of many.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Does the term redneck refer to a culture or race?

    Redneck pretty much refers to a subculture within the larger White community. They are largely blue collar, listen to Country Music, often hunt and fish, often eschew big cities, feeling more at ease in a more country like setting. They like Nascar and enjoy snowmobiles, dirtbikes, ATVs, and Jetskis. They also drink a lot of beer and/or hard liquor. Hard drug of choice, for those who indulge in such things, would be meth. Pot smoking is tolerated.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •