View Poll Results: Poll

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    54 90.00%
  • No

    6 10.00%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 169

Thread: Can a supreme court ruling be unconstitutional?

  1. #111
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Can a supreme court ruling be unconstitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do not buy into interpretation nonsense. The constitution should either be read and teken litterally or not at all. At most you should pick up a dictionary if you are unaware what a word means.
    This is where literalism fails.

    What does the Constitution say about the Internet? What does it say about nuclear warheads? What does it say about cryogenics?

    By your definition, we would need to amend the Constitution with every shift instead of interpreting the current circumstances within the framework given to us by our forefathers.

    It's like Biblical literalists who don't cast their wives outside the city walls during that time of the month or wear mixed threads; BUT will complain about other Old Testament sins in others.

    Either you accept that things have changed and the document serves as a framework for life - OR you follow the word strictly. Hope you didn't shave this morning and have shrimp for dinner. Otherwise you're going to hell, buddy. But, you can ride your nuclear missile a la DR. STRANGELOVE on your way there, since you could simply purchase your own at Wal-Mart.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Can a supreme court ruling be unconstitutional?

    This thread is started to sound like a Pee Wee Herman Elementary School debate.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: Can a supreme court ruling be unconstitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    You believe wrong then.
    Yes I was wrong. It requires 2/3, or 67 out of 100.

    http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs...3C4P\%3B%3D%0A

  4. #114
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Can a supreme court ruling be unconstitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    The fact that you make meaningless and unconnected analogies instead of actually arguing law doesn't prove a thing either. But really maybe you'd like to make a better argument instead of pouting because you're wrong. And I'm only assuming you are disagreeing with my post because I really can't see even a slimmer of a point in your statement.
    I'll be more clear.

    The fact that something happens from time to time does not mean that that something is proper. The fact that I drive 75 does not mean that the speed limit is 75. Similarly, the fact that the court has often claimed to uncover new rights in the junk drawers and penumbras of the Constitution does not mean that the Constitution was intended as a living document.

    (I'm ignoring the fact that Brown v. Board isn't really an example of this)

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    This is where literalism fails.

    What does the Constitution say about the Internet? What does it say about nuclear warheads? What does it say about cryogenics?

    By your definition, we would need to amend the Constitution with every shift instead of interpreting the current circumstances within the framework given to us by our forefathers.
    Why do you assume that?

    Re: internet - Speech is speech. The founders envisioned the first amendment applying to the spoken and written word, so why wouldn't it apply to the internet?
    Re: nuclear weapons/cryogenics - Neither of these things have anything to do with the constitution as it is, so I'm not sure why it would need to be amended to include them.
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 06-03-10 at 11:19 AM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #115
    Student CrazyMcCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    08-27-13 @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    233

    Re: Can a supreme court ruling be unconstitutional?

    Speaking of rulings over the internet, I just read of a ruling by a judge on a p2p site called Isohunt, now i understand that his pockets are full of money from RIAA and that closing its p2p torrenting index site ( it does not hold any content its just a google for torrents...so its like sueing google....which..brings up...more...torrents...then..isohunt...buuuttt) so I get that BS ruling.
    What I dont get is why close down the forums?
    He rules the entire domain be closed to the USA

    Which is a huge ruling, and its based on little to no understand how how a website works/the internet works..

    Basicly, my point being, the Constitution does not apply to these things cause its suppose to apply to the very basics of life. Information == Internet == protected by the good old Constitution > Money music industry and ect.
    'DON'T WORRY SIR, I'M FROM THE INTERNET.'

    THE TRUTH ABOUT THE UN ( Click on the UN to see! )

  6. #116
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Can a supreme court ruling be unconstitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Re: internet - Speech is speech. The founders envisioned the first amendment applying to the spoken and written word, so why wouldn't it apply to the internet?
    Why wouldn't it apply to television? Why can't I show nudity on (non-cable) TV or use foul language?

    What may seem obvious to one person is not to another; we all disagree on what the meaning is (or we wouldn't be having so many debates here). If it were obvious we would have no need of a Supreme Court. But it plainly is not. We must have someone at the top who can make a decision that is binding.

    I always find it interesting that the people who say "The Constitution is as plain as day" and never needs interpretation also claim that THEIR interpretation of it is correct and every single person who disagrees with them is wrong. They never understand that they are interpreting too.

  7. #117
    Student CrazyMcCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    08-27-13 @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    233

    Re: Can a supreme court ruling be unconstitutional?

    the FCC is an abomimation (sp)

    Its a leech that feeds of censorship and they can fine you ~300000$ for just saying **** on a TV show




    Applies to the post above me )
    Last edited by CrazyMcCool; 06-03-10 at 12:49 PM.
    'DON'T WORRY SIR, I'M FROM THE INTERNET.'

    THE TRUTH ABOUT THE UN ( Click on the UN to see! )

  8. #118
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Can a supreme court ruling be unconstitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Why wouldn't it apply to television? Why can't I show nudity on (non-cable) TV or use foul language?
    Who said it wouldn't apply to television? Obscenity is not always protected by the first amendment, whether it's written in a pamphlet, posted on the internet, or shown on CBS.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 12:32 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Can a supreme court ruling be unconstitutional?

    Yes, an example is making it illegal for anyone to speak negatively about the government at any point in time.

  10. #120
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can a supreme court ruling be unconstitutional?

    Unconstitutional?
    Of course, but in whose opinion?
    Certainly NOT in the eyes of our SCOTUS.
    Thus, neither yes nor no is my vote.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •