View Poll Results: Who is most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • The President

    3 4.55%
  • Congress

    4 6.06%
  • British Petroleum

    53 80.30%
  • Other

    5 7.58%
  • Nobody

    1 1.52%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Who is the most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

  1. #31
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: Who is the most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Which is why we need to continue funding for research and development of alternative energy sources so that today comes sooner.
    Shell and BP have spent billions on R&D looking for alternative energy sources that will actually work. So far, no luck. "Today" is still a long way off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Who is the most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    It's not just holding BP to task I mean, however - I'm also talking about the Congressmen and Senators who have been in the oil industry's pockets while the President is getting so much heat. He's not the only one who deserves it, after all.
    Yes, I agree. In fact I chose Congress as the most to blame. I just think all of the lawsuits and investigations can be put on hold for a while. All our energy should be focused on cleaning up the mess even as the spill is still going on. Our president and Congress is doing a really crappy job. As a Conservative I prefer a smaller, less intrusive government. However, we need government to step up and do there jobs in cases like this. Instead what is Obama doing besides throwing lavish parties and going around still trying to sell the health care bill even after it's already passed? we have a national disaster going on and he is acting like it's an inconvenious to be bothered to do something about it.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Who is the most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Shell and BP have spent billions on R&D looking for alternative energy sources that will actually work. So far, no luck. "Today" is still a long way off.
    Hey hey now, BP makes the best solar panels available.
    They deserve some credit for that.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #34
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: Who is the most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Hey hey now, BP makes the best solar panels available.
    They deserve some credit for that.
    Granted, but are BP's solar panels replacing BP's drilling operatins, yet?

    I have an even better question: How many treehuggers hate BP for trying to establish solar farms in the deserts out west? Where was it a couple years ago, New Mexico? Where treehuggers filed an injunction to halt the construction of a big-ass solar farm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #35
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Who is the most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Granted, but are BP's solar panels replacing BP's drilling operatins, yet?

    I have an even better question: How many treehuggers hate BP for trying to establish solar farms in the deserts out west? Where was it a couple years ago, New Mexico? Where treehuggers filed an injunction to halt the construction of a big-ass solar farm.
    Most people don't want BP to halt drilling operations. What I think most people want is safe drilling operations. There were things that could have been done to prevent or minimize the environmental impact of the spill, and yet it wasn't done. Whether this was because of BP's need for a bottom line, or Congress' or the President's deregulation of the industry is what this thread is asking.

    Also, you can't group all environmentalists together. Just because one group halted the building of a solar farm doesn't mean that all environmentalists are against it.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Who is the most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Granted, but are BP's solar panels replacing BP's drilling operatins, yet?
    Nope and they likely never will because solar is a horrible way to propel a car.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I have an even better question: How many treehuggers hate BP for trying to establish solar farms in the deserts out west? Where was it a couple years ago, New Mexico? Where treehuggers filed an injunction to halt the construction of a big-ass solar farm.
    Environuts will always hate BP, even if they develop the perfectly efficient, non polluting free energy machine.

    BP deserves more credit than what they get, is all I'm saying.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #37
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: Who is the most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Most people don't want BP to halt drilling operations. What I think most people want is safe drilling operations. There were things that could have been done to prevent or minimize the environmental impact of the spill, and yet it wasn't done. Whether this was because of BP's need for a bottom line, or Congress' or the President's deregulation of the industry is what this thread is asking.

    Also, you can't group all environmentalists together. Just because one group halted the building of a solar farm doesn't mean that all environmentalists are against it.
    You're exactly right and IMO the government shoulders just as much--if not more--blame as BP. Afterall, Obama said his crew was calling the shots since Day 1. Right? If that's so, then every shortcoming, regarding halting the spread of the spill, rests on his shoulders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #38
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Who is the most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're exactly right and IMO the government shoulders just as much--if not more--blame as BP. Afterall, Obama said his crew was calling the shots since Day 1. Right? If that's so, then every shortcoming, regarding halting the spread of the spill, rests on his shoulders.
    I think samsmart was talking about before the spill precautions, not stuff after the fact.

  9. #39
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Who is the most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're exactly right and IMO the government shoulders just as much--if not more--blame as BP. Afterall, Obama said his crew was calling the shots since Day 1. Right? If that's so, then every shortcoming, regarding halting the spread of the spill, rests on his shoulders.
    There's also the fact that legislation concerning off-shore drilling has deregulated the oil industry. Legislation is the power of Congress, and so our Representatives and Senators deserve just as much blame for not using their legislative powers as Obama is for not using his executive powers.

  10. #40
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Who is the most to blame for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The if not part would probably have to do with not enough alternatives yet. That will take time, but does not mean it is not a worthwhile goal.
    There are plenty of alternatives. Just for transportation there is walking, bicycles, roller skates, horses, camels, dog sleds, and many others, none of which need oil based fuel. If you are going to bitch about people using oil without being hypocritical, you should take the lead in switching.

    .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •