View Poll Results: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 8.86%
  • no

    69 87.34%
  • maybe/other

    3 3.80%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 121

Thread: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

  1. #51
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I didn't say it's silly because I didn't like your answer; I said it's silly because it is silly..
    but yet still 100% TRUE so if you want to think its silly fine but the fact is news does have the ablity



    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    You can motivate people with words to commit certain actions, but ultimately the responsibility of those actions rests with the people who commit them. If I persuade you to murder someone, you will be the one who gets charged with murder, not me. I wouldn't even be an accessory unless I helped you do it.

    I see no reason to blame the news for doing its job. Journalism is supposed to be intrusive and answer-seeking. If the government or military don't want journalists reporting the facts, then they will do what they can to prevent access, as we are seeing in Iraq and Afghanistan with the control of the media. They learned from Vietnam what televised wars can do.

    Licensing is only a method of censorship. i.e. you can't publish stories unless you are registered by the state. And who controls the registration process? The State. And who decides the criteria for registration? The State. It's an infringement on the First Amendment.
    blah blah blah
    please stay on topic that i was answering
    I dont want to punish the news i was only answering your questions please dont confuse the two. I also clearly said a couple times their ablity to kill doesnt change my answer and is not motivation for my answer

    does the news have the ability to kill, YES

    also im not for anything against the 1st amendment, what I wanted and siad in my post wouldnt do anything to it, thanks
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    blah blah blah
    please stay on topic that i was answering
    I dont want to punish the news i was only answering your questions please dont confuse the two. I also clearly said a couple times their ablity to kill doesnt change my answer and is not motivation for my answer
    Just because I am disagreeing with you does not make me off topic. I know and understand exactly what you are saying, but I believe you are wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    does the news have the ability to kill, YES
    No it does not. Information does not inherently possess the ability to kill. News does not kill people. People kill people. When you start blaming the news for the choices of individuals, you open freedom of speech up to attack and restriction.

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    also im not for anything against the 1st amendment, what I wanted and siad in my post wouldnt do anything to it, thanks
    The proposed rule is a direct line to violating freedom of speech. It is unconstitutional and it should and will be shot down.

  3. #53
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    The proposed law would necessarily infringe upon free speech, because if you aren't a licensed journalist then creating your own newsletter with your news stories would be against the law.

    Anyone should be allowed to publish news. That's freedom of the press and freedom of speech.

    I frankly don't know why you support this kind of ridiculous legislation.
    well since i didnt say i agree with what THEY want to do thats meaningless to what I want
    i clealry said in my post anybody should be able to write about what they want I only want licenses because of access but if you choose to sit at a desk and write say, politician B is lying and heres why or this will hurt america and heres why have it thats not my argument LMAo so I frankly dont know how YOU figure I do, I said why i answered yes and it would be based on MY criteria, the criteria i wanted not whatever was being said LOL
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    well since i didnt say i agree with what THEY want to do thats meaningless to what I want
    i clealry said in my post anybody should be able to write about what they want I only want licenses because of access but if you choose to sit at a desk and write say, politician B is lying and heres why or this will hurt america and heres why have it thats not my argument LMAo so I frankly dont know how YOU figure I do, I said why i answered yes and it would be based on MY criteria, the criteria i wanted not whatever was being said LOL
    Fine... you want licensing for media events... but that is still unacceptable. If a public event is happening and the press is in attendance, anyone who writes for a news source, whether it is corporate or grassroots, should be allowed to attend. The only time I can see media being restricted is during White House press conferences when people need to come with secure references so that security can be maintained.

    All other events fall into the private realm and those organizations can allow or deny anyone they want, regardless if they are a "real journalist" or not. The State has no business licensing journalists.

  5. #55
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Just because I am disagreeing with you does not make me off topic. I know and understand exactly what you are saying, but I believe you are wrong.
    but im not thats already been proven LOL
    and you did go off topic has your reply had nothing to do with what i said or was replying too[QUOTE=Orion;1058777302]



    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    No it does not. Information does not inherently possess the ability to kill. News does not kill people. People kill people. When you start blaming the news for the choices of individuals, you open freedom of speech up to attack and restriction.
    yes it does no matter how you spin it
    i knowPEOPLE kill people but the news does have the ABLITY because it can give them the tools like it was said. What haroldo did could have killed people easily now you can say "that would have been the enimies fault" but the news gave them the info they needed



    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    The proposed rule is a direct line to violating freedom of speech. It is unconstitutional and it should and will be shot down.
    yeaaaaaaa for the proposed rule LMAO
    who said I agree with it
    thats right, NOBODY lmao I said yes for licenses but ONLY if they met MY criteria not theirs LOL
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  6. #56
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Fine... you want licensing for media events... but that is still unacceptable. If a public event is happening and the press is in attendance, anyone who writes for a news source, whether it is corporate or grassroots, should be allowed to attend. The only time I can see media being restricted is during White House press conferences when people need to come with secure references so that security can be maintained.

    All other events fall into the private realm and those organizations can allow or deny anyone they want, regardless if they are a "real journalist" or not. The State has no business licensing journalists.
    no NOT public events I said there should be licensing for "special access" reporters have access to info and places normal people dont those people should need licenses to get that access IF they want it, if you just want to write without it then you dont need it
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  7. #57
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

    Seems to be a misunderstanding of my stand please go back and read post 25 if you dont get it
    I dont want a license based on the story I think there should be a license due to other concerns, none which are restricting freedom of speech.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1058776855
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    no NOT public events I said there should be licensing for "special access" reporters have access to info and places normal people dont those people should need licenses to get that access IF they want it, if you just want to write without it then you dont need it
    I don't think you have a good understanding of how journalism works.

    You want the State to decide, through licensing, which people are "real journalists" and where they are allowed to go when they cover the news? That's crazy. I mean, China does that, but their news is completely censored by government. If the government doesn't say you're an authorized journalist, then you can't report the news. Period.

    The rule of the news in the FREE WORLD is: get access to the story any way you can within legal boundaries. (So you can't break into someone's home to take a picture of them, for example.) There are no rules to access in a system that permits freedom of speech, nor should there be.

    Access isn't determined by the State. It's determined by the resources of the journalists. Corporate journalists tend to have more access because their parent companies have more money to send them places, and so their response time is faster, but if the average joe had money put aside to go chasing news stories then that's his right.

    Private institutions can pick and choose which reporters get the goods if they are able to restrict access, and that's how it's always been. If they can't restrict access, then it becomes a feeding frenzy and reporters will descend on the scene. That is what journalism is.

    What I'm saying is, a law licensing journalists is not necessary whatsoever, and it presents an imminent threat to freedom of speech no matter what way you look at it.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    Seems to be a misunderstanding of my stand please go back and read post 25 if you dont get it
    I dont want a license based on the story I think there should be a license due to other concerns, none which are restricting freedom of speech.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1058776855
    The other concerns are already handled by the way the current system works. Government licensing is not needed.

  10. #60
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Should you need a license to be a journalist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I don't think you have a good understanding of how journalism works.

    You want the State to decide, through licensing, which people are "real journalists" and where they are allowed to go when they cover the news? That's crazy. I mean, China does that, but their news is completely censored by government. If the government doesn't say you're an authorized journalist, then you can't report the news. Period.
    nope not what i said at all, I also said "correct me if im wrong"
    I dont want the goverment deciding who REAL journlists are, nor do i want them to decide where they go. I dont want the access to change one single bit just becasreful who you give it too like we do many things LOL sorry not what i said or want at all

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    The rule of the news in the FREE WORLD is: get access to the story any way you can within legal boundaries. (So you can't break into someone's home to take a picture of them, for example.) There are no rules to access in a system that permits freedom of speech, nor should there be.
    again something else i never said, reporters are given special access beyond a cilvilan though so give them a back ground check no biggie, please argue something i said LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Access isn't determined by the State. It's determined by the resources of the journalists. Corporate journalists tend to have more access because their parent companies have more money to send them places, and so their response time is faster, but if the average joe had money put aside to go chasing news stories then that's his right. .
    again thanksfor telling me this but i never said it was

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Private institutions can pick and choose which reporters get the goods if they are able to restrict access, and that's how it's always been. If they can't restrict access, then it becomes a feeding frenzy and reporters will descend on the scene. That is what journalism is.

    What I'm saying is, a law licensing journalists is not necessary whatsoever, and it presents an imminent threat to freedom of speech no matter what way you look at it.
    for what "I" want it and not what you are making up in your head there would be no threat to freedom of speech lol sorry
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •