View Poll Results: Should the law be changed so that gays can serve openly in the military.

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, do it now

    79 36.41%
  • Yes, but after the Pentagon completes it study on the issue

    11 5.07%
  • No, do not change the law

    14 6.45%
  • No, DADT should be repealed and gays not allowed to serve at all

    104 47.93%
  • Other, please explain

    9 4.15%
Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 484

Thread: Gays in the Military

  1. #391
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Why doesn't she know the people she is living with? I think if she is going to live with someone she should really get to know them. I still fail to see the injustice here.
    Junior soldiers/sailors reporting onboard a command don't have a say where their room is or who their roomate is. They are assigned a room based on bed availability and nothing else. It's only after he/she puts on a few paygrades and/or gets married that they can afford to move offbase to a place of their choosing. That's just stateside...throw deployed into the mix and it's even less accomodating. Most junior military personnel are assigned two to a room. A modern barracks room is very much like the average american master bedroom...with a smaller bathroom and closet. And thats it. That's the entirety of living space available to you and this person you just met. Imagine sitting at home in your master bedroom, doing your thing and the door opens up, someone walks in and says "hi, I'm living her too now."

    The only real point to this tack is I'm trying to show that there is quite a bit that the average civilian doesn't take into account when they talk about repealing DADT. Most of us in the military could care less if someone is gay, but we don't necessarily want to share a rooms with them.

    We all know that being homosexual doesn't affect how well someone does a job, but there are other effects the average civilian isn't taking into account. Hopefully, when the budget's go up because we have to build new barracks, you won't fight that. The only real way to deal with the situation is to make sure everyone, straight or gay, has their own room. That means a lot more room are required.
    Last edited by mac; 06-23-10 at 03:24 AM.

  2. #392
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not necessarily. It would depend on the situation. First, right now, I know that the military will not make men and women share berthing spaces. Second, if they did, and it was during bootcamp, I'd still feel uncomfortable, and maybe moreso due to the men showering with me, but it would be because I was attracted to them, not that they might be attracted to me. And the embarassment from having my period would be a lot worse in front of men, who are most certainly not comfortable with women's periods, no matter what sexuality they are. If it were later on in my career, then I might be uncomfortable around some men, but not all. While in the Navy, I only had male roommates when I lived off base. I am actually more comfortable around men because there isn't as much drama.

    I have changed in the same area as some of the guys I worked with. It really wasn't a big deal. In fact, there were some guys who were more upset about it than I was, because they were nervous that I would file a sexual harassment suit against them, eventhough I voluntarily changed in the area, because there really wasn't any other nearby place to change and I was the first female to ever work in that shop.

    I'm not afraid of being raped or even sexually assaulted by other servicemembers, certainly not while on duty and/or in a group shower. I know I have recourse, there are tons of witnesses, and I know that they know that there are rules against it. If they try something in a berthing or a shower, there will most likely be at least one other person in there. And if men and women shared berthing, there is actually a good chance that the other men and even the women who might be there would come to the aid of the one being assaulted.

    I am a staunch believer in what makes people most uncomfortable about seeing members of the opposite sex naked is actually the foreignness of the anatomy of the opposite sex, not the actual sexual attraction. Men and women are different physically. Heterosexuals and homosexuals of the same sex have all the same parts (barring some deformity or unfortunate event). Their bodies basically operate and react the same way.
    Have you known anyone during your time in the military that thought they had been sexually harassed, or even been privy to any sexual harassment cases?

    Choosing to reside with males offbase is an entirely different subject. I'm sure you didn't just pick some random guys and go get an apartment. Choosing to live with people, male, female, straight, or gay, that you know and trust is far different to being assigned to live with them.
    Last edited by mac; 06-23-10 at 03:26 AM.

  3. #393
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Junior soldiers/sailors reporting onboard a command don't have a say where their room is or who their roomate is. They are assigned a room based on bed availability and nothing else. It's only after he/she puts on a few paygrades and/or gets married that they can afford to move offbase to a place of their choosing. That's just stateside...throw deployed into the mix and it's even less accomodating. Most junior military personnel are assigned two to a room. A modern barracks room is very much like the average american master bedroom...with a smaller bathroom and closet. And thats it. That's the entirety of living space available to you and this person you just met. Imagine sitting at home in your master bedroom, doing your thing and the door opens up, someone walks in and says "hi, I'm living her too now."

    The only real point to this tack is I'm trying to show that there is quite a bit that the average civilian doesn't take into account when they talk about repealing DADT. Most of us in the military could care less if someone is gay, but we don't necessarily want to share a rooms with them.

    We all know that being homosexual doesn't affect how well someone does a job, but there are other effects the average civilian isn't taking into account. Hopefully, when the budget's go up because we have to build new barracks, you won't fight that. The only real way to deal with the situation is to make sure everyone, straight or gay, has their own room. That means a lot more room are required.
    E3 and below can move off base with command permission, which I never saw turned down. First question I was asked when I got to my squadron was if I was going to be moving off base right away.

    The whole "own room" thing is retarded. Straits room with gays now in the military. There is zero reason to believe this will some how change. It's just an excuse, it's not a real issue.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #394
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    E3 and below can move off base with command permission, which I never saw turned down. First question I was asked when I got to my squadron was if I was going to be moving off base right away.

    The whole "own room" thing is retarded. Straits room with gays now in the military. There is zero reason to believe this will some how change. It's just an excuse, it's not a real issue.
    I appreciate you calling me retarded, I will have to reciprocate some time. E3 and below can move of base WITH command permission, correct. Command permission is usually only given when the barracks are full or near full. Further, in many places overseas, very few or none can move off base regardless of paygrade.

  5. #395
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I can do searches, what I was wondering is if you knew the answer. And you still haven't answered my question. Let me ask another, could a straight male walking into his barracks/dorm room to find his roommate masturbating be considered sexual harassment?
    No. This is not sexual harassment.

    That **** happens all the ****ing time with straight maies in the miliitary now.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #396
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    No. This is not sexual harassment.

    That **** happens all the ****ing time with straight maies in the miliitary now.
    Yep, until straight male goes to his command and claims that gay male is masturbating in front of him.

  7. #397
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Yep, until straight male goes to his command and claims that gay male is masturbating in front of him.
    Your really pulling crap out your ass now aren't you?

  8. #398
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Your really pulling crap out your ass now aren't you?
    I suppose, I mean...no one does things like that. As soon as it's sanctioned by the government, everyone will no longer be opposed to it. Or, maybe I've seen a few things like this in the last 22 years....

  9. #399
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    All you do at home is sleep? We're not talking three or four days a week. We're talking 7 days a week. This is where they live, this is their home. Would you take people that work in high stress environments, every single day, and then make them go home to a place they find uncomfortable?
    It wasn't uncomfortable.

    Can you figure out how to make it rougher?
    It wasn't rough

    Quality of life for service members seems to be of no import to you so why don't we come up with more ways to make military service more difficult on people.
    It wasn't difficult.

    Do people have to pay extra to see you jump out of your canoe and change your clothes?
    What are you talking about?

    again, because someone volunteers for military service they now have no right to personal privacy?
    Seeing as though they all sleep together in barracks, I would guess not. Are you suggesting that all enlistees have their own rooms?? I didn't realize that you were upset about them living together *period*. That's even crazier.

    Or are you suggesting that if a bunch of men live together they all have privacy. But if you toss a woman in there, suddenly no one has privacy? Surely that's not what you're suggesting.

  10. #400
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I suppose, I mean...no one does things like that. As soon as it's sanctioned by the government, everyone will no longer be opposed to it. Or, maybe I've seen a few things like this in the last 22 years....
    Allowing LGBT people to serve openly in the military isn't government sanctioned sexual harassment. Like I said, pulling crap out your ass.

Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •