View Poll Results: Should the law be changed so that gays can serve openly in the military.

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, do it now

    79 36.41%
  • Yes, but after the Pentagon completes it study on the issue

    11 5.07%
  • No, do not change the law

    14 6.45%
  • No, DADT should be repealed and gays not allowed to serve at all

    104 47.93%
  • Other, please explain

    9 4.15%
Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 484

Thread: Gays in the Military

  1. #311
    Educator Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Reality
    Last Seen
    06-08-14 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    645

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    When our troops are home from afghanistan and Iraq. 1998 would have been a good year.
    Yeah, I agree. That would have been a good time, though that may have been "too much, too soon" too.

    I also don't think we foresaw our current military situation at the time, and thought that at a time of relative peace and stability we'd be good to go for a few more years.

    The only thing I remember being pissed about, was that some dirtbag draft dodgers first move as POTUS was to meddle with the military.
    I never thought I'd have to ask this, but, "To which President do you refer?"

    I know at least two that fit that description.

  2. #312
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Yeah, I agree. That would have been a good time, though that may have been "too much, too soon" too.

    I also don't think we foresaw our current military situation at the time, and thought that at a time of relative peace and stability we'd be good to go for a few more years.


    Any time during the brac as well... as we were retiring folks early, that would have been the time.


    I never thought I'd have to ask this, but, "To which President do you refer?"

    I know at least two that fit that description.


    The one who put DADT in place.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  3. #313
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    A fair critique. I've used a blanket statement where it would be more appropriate to use "some, many, most" and so on.

    I don't believe that undermines my point.





    You're right that some would leave the military as a result of the new policy. That would open the way for new talent, potentially better talent, to come in. The military is also back-logged. My nephew is currently on the waiting list to become a Marine. It'll be nine months before he even gets a chance to be taken. They're that backed up.

    The Air Force and Navy had similar lines. The Army could get him in right away...


    ::cough::



    I don't think the idea that some folks either couldn't or wouldn't adapt to modernity in the military is a reason to not modernize the military.






    It's illegal?

    News to me... I know several more felons than I thought I did then. That's funny.
    disobeying a direct order, which that is, is punishible under the UCMJ. That means, it's illegal. Military members are subject to laws that civilians are not subject too.

  4. #314
    Educator Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Reality
    Last Seen
    06-08-14 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    645

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    disobeying a direct order, which that is, is punishible under the UCMJ. That means, it's illegal. Military members are subject to laws that civilians are not subject too.
    No, I understand what disobeying an order is. Thanks for the condescention however.

    I don't recall any orders not to have sex being given to me when I was in combat zones. That's what I meant was news to me.

  5. #315
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    No, I understand what disobeying an order is. Thanks for the condescention however.

    I don't recall any orders not to have sex being given to me when I was in combat zones, however. That's what I meant was news to me.




    You can be charged under a general article under the UCMJ for getting pregnant while deployed.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  6. #316
    Educator Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Reality
    Last Seen
    06-08-14 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    645

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    You can be charged under a general article under the UCMJ for getting pregnant while deployed.
    That I knew.

    So is getting a tattoo if they really want to press the issue. Or a sunburn.

    That doesn't make having sex illegal though. It is possible to have sex without getting pregnant. I wasn't aware of any regulation barring sexual intercourse in a combat zone.

  7. #317
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    That I knew.

    So is getting a tattoo if they really want to press the issue. Or a sunburn.

    That doesn't make having sex illegal though. It is possible to have sex without getting pregnant. I wasn't aware of any regulation barring sexual intercourse in a combat zone.



    there were no women in any of the units I was attached to. I didn't need a regulation to "bar" sexual intercourse for me.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  8. #318
    Educator Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Reality
    Last Seen
    06-08-14 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    645

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    there were no women in any of the units I was attached to. I didn't need a regulation to "bar" sexual intercourse for me.
    Most unfortunate.

    Not that we had tons of women either. I personally never had sex in a combat zone. I do know a few people that did, however.

  9. #319
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Most unfortunate.

    Not that we had tons of women either. I personally never had sex in a combat zone. I do know a few people that did, however.


    o.O I guess that would matter what you consider a "combat zone".
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  10. #320
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    No, I understand what disobeying an order is. Thanks for the condescention however.

    I don't recall any orders not to have sex being given to me when I was in combat zones. That's what I meant was news to me.
    I don't know how long it's been since you were in a combat zone, but that is a standing order in all the current combat zones whether you were aware of it or not.

Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •