View Poll Results: Should the law be changed so that gays can serve openly in the military.

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, do it now

    79 36.41%
  • Yes, but after the Pentagon completes it study on the issue

    11 5.07%
  • No, do not change the law

    14 6.45%
  • No, DADT should be repealed and gays not allowed to serve at all

    104 47.93%
  • Other, please explain

    9 4.15%
Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 484

Thread: Gays in the Military

  1. #291
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-22-17 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,154

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    However, to correctly implement this change with minimal impact, it seems an obvious necessity to prepare measures directed toward preventing and responding to the majority of issues that will arise.

    It is NOT as easy as flipping a light switch.

    And issues WILL arise.
    Some issues yes. Most will be due to intolerance of those that do decide to come out, and a few don't like it.

    I am okay with waiting a while, but I don't like the fact that it is so open-ended. There really is no good reason to insist on continuing to discharge personnel, especially those who aren't causing disruptions. I absolutely think it is easy to say that there will be a halt to discharges of personnel who haven't shown themselves to be a problem and/or whose case has shown no disruptions to the unit. There is no reason to put that off.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #292
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    However, to correctly implement this change with minimal impact, it seems an obvious necessity to prepare measures directed toward preventing and responding to the majority of issues that will arise.

    It is NOT as easy as flipping a light switch.

    And issues WILL arise.
    Those issues were pretty much taken of with DADT. People know homosexuals are in the military and all that will happen now is that gays won't get discharged for going home to their same sex partner.

  3. #293
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,824

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Some issues yes. Most will be due to intolerance of those that do decide to come out, and a few don't like it.

    I am okay with waiting a while, but I don't like the fact that it is so open-ended. There really is no good reason to insist on continuing to discharge personnel, especially those who aren't causing disruptions. I absolutely think it is easy to say that there will be a halt to discharges of personnel who haven't shown themselves to be a problem and/or whose case has shown no disruptions to the unit. There is no reason to put that off.
    I quite agree. An immediate policy change to eliminate sexual preference (or however that works) as a discharge reason should be made.

    Of course, that would put those not “hidden” in a sort of limbo until finalized rule changes are put in place, but its still the best option I can see.

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Those issues were pretty much taken of with DADT. People know homosexuals are in the military and all that will happen now is that gays won't get discharged for going home to their same sex partner.
    No, now they will have to rewrite multiple regulations regarding multiple things.

    And no, DADT caused many of those issues, and they will still exist until it is completely removed and any rules based upon it are rewritten.

    And so forth and so on.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #294
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    And no, DADT caused many of those issues, and they will still exist until it is completely removed and any rules based upon it are rewritten.

    And so forth and so on.
    As far as I know sex is illegal on military bases unless you are married. And as far as I know and everybody else knows gays are serving in the military. All that is changing is gays will not get discharged for being gay.

  5. #295
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,824

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    As far as I know sex is illegal on military bases unless you are married. And as far as I know and everybody else knows gays are serving in the military. All that is changing is gays will not get discharged for being gay.
    Not at all.

    In effect, yes, but all the varied rules and regulations that enforce that fact must be in place to...Enforce it.

    That is what will take a bit.

    I have no idea as to your first statement, perhaps someone who has been or is in the military can weigh in on that.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #296
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Not at all.

    In effect, yes, but all the varied rules and regulations that enforce that fact must be in place to...Enforce it..
    What rules and regulations? All that is changing is DADT.

  7. #297
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,824

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    What rules and regulations? All that is changing is DADT.
    Are you serious?

    And I do not know.

    I simply made an educated guess - namely, that, if there is something one wishes to regulate (in this case, gays openly in the military), then you create rules and regulations governing such.

    Not to mention, the rules and regulations governing sexual harassment, sexual acts while on duty (I assume there are such), and so on, and so on....
    Last edited by The Mark; 06-15-10 at 09:18 PM.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #298
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Are you serious?
    Yep......


    Everybody already knows gays are serving under DADT. Sex is still illegal on base except for married people. All this means is if a gay soldier goes home to a same sex partner they have no worries of getting discharged for that.

  9. #299
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    12-25-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    A soldier will adapt, and they'll follow the orders they're given. That's a soldier's job.

    Just like it was when blacks were integrated. Just like when women were integrated.

    It's been done before. It's worked well before. Anyone who claims the military isn't capable of handling it isn't being honest; they're making excuses.
    Ive already stated, and you've responded to such, that I believe the military is capable of handling it at this point.

    To suggest that soldiers are robots who follow orders regardless though, that is where I disagree.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #300
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,409

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    I heard gayness is infectious like the common cold.
    Didn't you have a major role in the movie "American Beauty"

Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •