View Poll Results: Should the law be changed so that gays can serve openly in the military.

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, do it now

    79 36.41%
  • Yes, but after the Pentagon completes it study on the issue

    11 5.07%
  • No, do not change the law

    14 6.45%
  • No, DADT should be repealed and gays not allowed to serve at all

    104 47.93%
  • Other, please explain

    9 4.15%
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 484

Thread: Gays in the Military

  1. #21
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    So we should allow men to shower and bunk with women? They might think it, but as long as they don't do anything is it ok? It's not just about if homosexuals will do something or not, it's about how other soldiers feel. It's not right to have many heterosexuals feel uncomfortable by being forced to shower and bunk with someone they know is openly gay.

    So hetero soldiers should just "get over it?" Should I be allowed to jump into a female showering facility and bathe with them and say to them to just "get over it"? That isn't right. I am not anti-homosexuals and I feel that they should be allowed to serve. However, I think DADT is a good and necessary thing so that heteros won't feel violated and homosexuals can still serve.
    Gay men are not women, gay women are not men. The biological difference is not there. Gay men can see a penis any time they want by looking down.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post


    So hetero soldiers should just "get over it?" Should I be allowed to jump into a female showering facility and bathe with them and say to them to just "get over it"? That isn't right. I am not anti-homosexuals and I feel that they should be allowed to serve. However, I think DADT is a good and necessary thing so that heteros won't feel violated and homosexuals can still serve.
    You say your not anti-homosexual, but your opinions are.

    Yes they should get over it, we would be a better society if people would accept others for who they are, and not have irrational fears about homosexuals.

  3. #23
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Gay men are not women, gay women are not men. The biological difference is not there. Gay men can see a penis any time they want by looking down.
    I believe gay men are sexually attracted to penises?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    This is the entire problem with your position. It becomes hypocritical at this point for you to say that sexual orientation should not be an issue. Your comment demonstrates that you SEE it as an issue.
    How so? I think sexual orientation shouldn't be something that is asked when someone enlists and isn't a qualifying aspect of being a soldier. However, what I am saying is that sexual orientation becomes an issue when it violates the rights and privacy of the vast majority of other soldiers.

    There is no "greater good" here. This is just hypocrisy on your part. If sexual orientation should not be an issue in the military, how can you justify it being OK for a heterosexual to bring their partners to funcitons, and not homosexuals?

    And as far as your comment in regards to a homosexual being attracted to a heterosexual, are you sexually attracted to each and every female you see? Where do you get the notion that every homosexual is attracted to every heterosexual of the same sex?
    There is a greater good. Homosexuals can still serve and no one has to feel sexually violated or have their privacy infringed on. Personally, I would be fine with having soldiers not allowing their wives/husbands to events in order to make thing "fair."
    And it doesn't matter if I'm attracted to every female, would it ever be appropriate for me to shower with women, use women's bathrooms, or go to an all female's bunking facility and sleep there among them? I may not be attracted to every woman on earth, but the fact that I am a heterosexual male means that it will always be inappropriate and a violation of the privacy of women for me to live, shower, and bunk with them. It's not just about my sexual preference or whether or not I am attracted to individuals, it's also about the rights and privacy of women who would feel uncomfortable with a hetero man seeing them naked and sleeping in the same room as the, in close proximity.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    So we should allow men to shower and bunk with women? They might think it, but as long as they don't do anything is it ok? It's not just about if homosexuals will do something or not, it's about how other soldiers feel. It's not right to have many heterosexuals feel uncomfortable by being forced to shower and bunk with someone they know is openly gay.
    It's not RIGHT?!!! To quote you, I suppose that's the price they will have to pay to be in the military.



    So hetero soldiers should just "get over it?" Should I be allowed to jump into a female showering facility and bathe with them and say to them to just "get over it"? That isn't right. I am not anti-homosexuals and I feel that they should be allowed to serve. However, I think DADT is a good and necessary thing so that heteros won't feel violated and homosexuals can still serve.
    Heteros feeling violated is their own problem. If no one does anything physical to them, whatever their paranoia is, is for them to deal with.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #26
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    That is just not true. I was in Armor and Air Defense Artillery for years. Both are a combat MOS. We had gay men in a few of the units I deployed with. It was kept quiet, but it proved to be no problem for anyone. A few got discharged, and we lost good people because of it including a damn good commander. It is simply a shame.
    You just said it.... Commander....lol

    Im talking amongst the regular joes.


    It WILL cause divisiveness amongst some units that regularly have to share facilities. Im not talking on a temporary basis, im talking the infantry guys who live in the ****ty ass barracks where they have shared latrines and showers.
    I personally witnessed a chubby gay private in Basic Training get his ass beat by other recruits because it was learned that he was talking about the male recruits' penis sizes to the female recruits and some of the female recruits didnt find this amusing.
    The gay was given an article 15 and allowed to continue training. He was booted out in less than a year.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You say your not anti-homosexual, but your opinions are.

    Yes they should get over it, we would be a better society if people would accept others for who they are, and not have irrational fears about homosexuals.
    How are my opinions anti-homosexual? With DADT in place all homosexuals can serve and all heteros can feel comfortable and not have their privacy violated.

    Are you anti-privacy then? So if I chose to walk into a female shower, get naked, and bathe with them should they just "get over it"? It's not about soldiers discriminating against homosexuals, it's about having their privacy rights and them not having to feel violated by having a member among them possibly checking them all out in the nude. We can accept others for who they are, but we shouldn't force others into uncomfortable situations or violate their privacy.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #28
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I believe gay men are sexually attracted to penises?
    I would assume so to an extent. However, they cansee one any time they want, since they come attached to one.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You say your not anti-homosexual, but your opinions are.

    Yes they should get over it, we would be a better society if people would accept others for who they are, and not have irrational fears about homosexuals.
    Actually he has a valid point.
    The same way female soldiers would feel violated if male soldiers suddenly jumped into their showering area naked is the same way male soldiers would feel about openly homosexual soldiers doing the same thing.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    It's not RIGHT?!!! To quote you, I suppose that's the price they will have to pay to be in the military.
    People have the right to have facilities where they can bathe and use the bathroom without having others sexually attracted to them.


    Heteros feeling violated is their own problem. If no one does anything physical to them, whatever their paranoia is, is for them to deal with.
    Alright, so then I have every right to shower with naked women and if they are uncomfortable with me there then that's their problem. It's not about homophobia, it's an issue of privacy. If a woman feels violated because a naked man is wither her showering does that mean she has a problem and has an irrational paranoia of men?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •