View Poll Results: Should the law be changed so that gays can serve openly in the military.

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, do it now

    79 36.41%
  • Yes, but after the Pentagon completes it study on the issue

    11 5.07%
  • No, do not change the law

    14 6.45%
  • No, DADT should be repealed and gays not allowed to serve at all

    104 47.93%
  • Other, please explain

    9 4.15%
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 484

Thread: Gays in the Military

  1. #141
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I would like to see a poll with this question asked of the military vets of this forum.
    A fair number of military vets have posted and offered their opinions in this thread, myself included.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #142
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    What is to distrust when the problem is not known? If you don't know about something, you can't be afraid/paranoid/homophobic/etc.
    What are we supposed to do? Hide LGBT people under the rug, pretend they don't exist. If they live on base are they supposed to hide their partners? Are they supposed to not have a love life? It's hard to keep this stuff hidden.

    Rumors don't spread. Soldiers live their lives and move on. Nobody gives a **** until the problem is KNOWN.
    You're looking at the situation from the unknowing straight solider perspective. Why not take a look at the situation from the shoes of the gay soldier. Living in fear of being found out, trying to hide your personal life, being afraid of being attacked by some homophobe who finds out. Thats what DADT does.
    Oh, and I find it disturbing you called homosexuality a "problem"

    Its not nonsense to those who you want to impose your sense of "fair" and "politically correct" nonsense on. Im not so sure how this difference will help society as a whole either.
    It's not "political correct" nonsense. It's equality, having the same rights for all is something we should strive for. It will help society because people will look at these soldiers,and see people from all walks of life. White, black, asian, Native American, gay, straight, woman, and men, and people will see that we aren't so different. We're all blood, and flesh, and if those people can fight for our country, then their all right. It's a trickle down effect of acceptance.

    Like I've said before, the problem is with the homophobes. NOT the LGBT soldiers.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    157

    Re: Gays in the Military

    I think we should let the military decide for itself.

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    157

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    What are we supposed to do? Hide LGBT people under the rug, pretend they don't exist. If they live on base are they supposed to hide their partners? Are they supposed to not have a love life? It's hard to keep this stuff hidden.



    You're looking at the situation from the unknowing straight solider perspective. Why not take a look at the situation from the shoes of the gay soldier. Living in fear of being found out, trying to hide your personal life, being afraid of being attacked by some homophobe who finds out. Thats what DADT does.
    Oh, and I find it disturbing you called homosexuality a "problem"



    It's not "political correct" nonsense. It's equality, having the same rights for all is something we should strive for. It will help society because people will look at these soldiers,and see people from all walks of life. White, black, asian, Native American, gay, straight, woman, and men, and people will see that we aren't so different. We're all blood, and flesh, and if those people can fight for our country, then their all right. It's a trickle down effect of acceptance.

    Like I've said before, the problem is with the homophobes. NOT the LGBT soldiers.
    your star,

    Your position is idealistic. If there is one place we should refrain from idealism it is in the military.

  5. #145
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,105

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think gays should be allowed to serve, but we should keep DADT. why is it so important to disclose one's sexual orientation?
    because proponents don't actually care about whether gays are serving or not; they care about making a political point and using the military to do it.

  6. #146
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    What are we supposed to do? Hide LGBT people under the rug, pretend they don't exist. If they live on base are they supposed to hide their partners? Are they supposed to not have a love life? It's hard to keep this stuff hidden.



    You're looking at the situation from the unknowing straight solider perspective. Why not take a look at the situation from the shoes of the gay soldier. Living in fear of being found out, trying to hide your personal life, being afraid of being attacked by some homophobe who finds out. Thats what DADT does.
    Oh, and I find it disturbing you called homosexuality a "problem"



    It's not "political correct" nonsense. It's equality, having the same rights for all is something we should strive for. It will help society because people will look at these soldiers,and see people from all walks of life. White, black, asian, Native American, gay, straight, woman, and men, and people will see that we aren't so different. We're all blood, and flesh, and if those people can fight for our country, then their all right. It's a trickle down effect of acceptance.

    Like I've said before, the problem is with the homophobes. NOT the LGBT soldiers.
    Just to make the point, since some one is going to bring this up and be accurate and probably not as mellow on it as I, being against gays in the military, or uncomfortable around gays does not really make one a homophobe. The former makes them in the wrong on the issue, but that is a different thing entirely.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #147
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    your star,

    Your position is idealistic. If there is one place we should refrain from idealism it is in the military.
    Why?

    The time for equality in any aspect of this country is always now. If we ever are going to see the day where the phrase that "All men are created equal" is actually accurate in describing this country we must fight for equality, for everyone, in every situation.

  8. #148
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    because proponents don't actually care about whether gays are serving or not; they care about making a political point and using the military to do it.
    This is 100 % factually incorrect. If you don't know how other people think, it will only serve to make you foolish to tell people how they think. You have no clue how those who support gays serving openly think, as your post proves.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #149
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    your star,

    Your position is idealistic. If there is one place we should refrain from idealism it is in the military.
    1) I disagree that we should refrain from idealism in the military. It should in fact be one of the many goals for the military.

    2) The issue is whether it will work. I think we all agree that if it will not, then it should not be implemented. Part of the explanation of why it will is that forcing people to be responsible for their own emotional reactions is not harmful to the military, and will actually lead to better soldiers.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    because proponents don't actually care about whether gays are serving or not; they care about making a political point and using the military to do it.
    I've heard some plausible reasons for why DADT should not be lifted, but they are mostly logistical problems that can be overcome with good policy making.

    The blanket "no" statements have failed to sway me at all. It's frankly non-negotiable to me. When the military allowed women in, they, by virtue of rewriting the rules, defined themselves as an institution that allows people who may be attracted to each other to serve together.

    Tough luck.

Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •