View Poll Results: Do we know the best rules?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 26.67%
  • No

    22 73.33%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 83

Thread: The best rules for society

  1. #71
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The best rules for society

    Natural mortality is merely a biological obstacle on the course to godhood. I would argue that "what's best" is that which drives us along that course. Obviously, not only is there disagreement on that goal, but among those who share it there is disagreement on how it is best accomplished.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: The best rules for society

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Natural mortality just means a natural susceptibility to death.

    If susceptibility to death is a positive (as per the keeps the population down comment), then it follows that, at least on occasion, death is a positive.

    If death is ever positive, even once, survival cannot always be "best".
    "The best rules for society", not "The best rules for individuals".

  3. #73
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The best rules for society

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    "The best rules for society", not "The best rules for individuals".
    So when you said "biological imperatives" which according to your clarification meant "survival", were you saying the survival of society, aka the biological imperatives of the society?
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 05-21-10 at 10:10 AM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #74
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: The best rules for society

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Natural mortality keeps the population under control.
    I find this statement to be especially troubling. As I understand it, it means you are ok with a large number of people dying, whether through lack of resources or violence as long as your ethical standard is maintained.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 05-21-10 at 10:15 AM.

  5. #75
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The best rules for society

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I find this statement to be especially troubling. As I understand it, it means you are ok with a large number of people dying, whether through lack of resources or violence as long as your ethical standard is maintained.
    I didn't get that impression at all from what he said.

    Jerry can correct me if I've got this wrong, but I got the impression that he was implying that immortality would be a detriment to the long term survival of society due to overpopulation problems.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #76
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: The best rules for society

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I didn't get that impression at all from what he said.

    Jerry can correct me if I've got this wrong, but I got the impression that he was implying that immortality would be a detriment to the long term survival of society due to overpopulation problems.
    Yeah, looking at it again, I think I misread it. My bad.

  7. #77
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: The best rules for society

    There are not "best" rules. "Best" is subjective, and societies change. Their needs, wants, and desires change and "the rules" must change accordingly. Aside from that, people are different and are going to want and need different rules according to *their* desires and needs.

    So, there can never be any objective 'best rules'.

  8. #78
    Educator ronpaulvoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 04:25 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    627

    fyi Re: The best rules for society

    Best rules? Very simple.

    INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY

    Hold onto your rights, and respect the rights of others.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: The best rules for society

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    So when you said "biological imperatives" which according to your clarification meant "survival", were you saying the survival of society, aka the biological imperatives of the society?
    Yes. The value of many individual imperatives to survive is greater than the value of one single imperative to survive.

    The needs of the many....

  10. #80
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The best rules for society

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes. The value of many individual imperatives to survive is greater than the value of one single imperative to survive.

    The needs of the many....
    Often the survival of many requires a failure to survive of many.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •