View Poll Results: Was the described situation racist?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it sounds like a racist remark

    3 6.25%
  • It was insensitive

    8 16.67%
  • There was only cultural gulf and misunderstanding

    0 0%
  • The fellow's sensitivity over his ethnicity was coming to the surface

    12 25.00%
  • Is bad handwriting a stereotype for people from Philippines?

    5 10.42%
  • People should be more careful throwing out accusations of racisms

    13 27.08%
  • Other

    7 14.58%
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 159

Thread: Is this racism?

  1. #101
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Perhaps it is obvious from the words that he chose. Rather than just say, "God your handwriting is as bad as Joes"...he deliberately chose to say, "God your handwriting is as bad as Joe and he's filipino too".
    LOL Intellectual Dishonesty. The post stated the guy said your from the same country.

    Mere coincidence that he decided to throw that in? I highly doubt it.
    Purposefully racist? I doubt that as well.
    Indicative that the guy is more than likely a dweeb that harbors racist views?
    Certainly.
    Explain how this is an indication that he harbors views that he is racially superior to others.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yeah well... I think everyone with the name Joey is a flaming homo
    Then you're a racist and I am going to complain to HR.

  3. #103
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Is this racism?

    It wasn't inherently racist, but you could have left out the comment about them being from the same country. Saying that implies that you believe that people from that country are bad at something.(Whatever it may be, this case handwriting) It would be like saying, "Oh, your bad at driving, so is Dave, and he's a black too!" The country, or race, or gender, or whatever similar shouldn't be used in such comments.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It wasn't inherently racist, but you could have left out the comment about them being from the same country. Saying that implies that you believe that people from that country are bad at something.(Whatever it may be, this case handwriting) It would be like saying, "Oh, your bad at driving, so is Dave, and he's a black too!" The country, or race, or gender, or whatever similar shouldn't be used in such comments.

    Explain why saying it implies anything........
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    That's not his problem, that is the Filipino's problem.
    If said Filipino goes to HR and complains about it, it will very quickly become his problem.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    If said Filipino goes to HR and complains about it, it will very quickly become his problem.
    What would he say? There is nothing to complain about. If he goes to HR he's a prick who cannot handle his own business.


    ps. what is up with your Avatar? It seems everyone has it.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    If said Filipino goes to HR and complains about it, it will very quickly become his problem.
    Exactly. So, it's disconcerting to have the accusation of racism thrown out so quickly and subjectively. I think people ought to think twice before throwing that bomb in someone's lap, although I voted that the fellow had insecurities about his ethnicity that were showing.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Is this racism?

    One thing I do wonder at is, what handwriting style do they teach in the Philippines, what alphabet do they use, and could this have something to do with the unusual handwriting style of these two individuals?

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    What would he say? There is nothing to complain about. If he goes to HR he's a prick who cannot handle his own business.


    ps. what is up with your Avatar? It seems everyone has it.
    I think you may be imagining things.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Exactly. So, it's disconcerting to have the accusation of racism thrown out so quickly and subjectively. I think people ought to think twice before throwing that bomb in someone's lap, although I voted that the fellow had insecurities about his ethnicity that were showing.
    Maybe he finds you generally insensitive about racial issues and a bit of a clod.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •