View Poll Results: Was the described situation racist?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it sounds like a racist remark

    3 6.25%
  • It was insensitive

    8 16.67%
  • There was only cultural gulf and misunderstanding

    0 0%
  • The fellow's sensitivity over his ethnicity was coming to the surface

    12 25.00%
  • Is bad handwriting a stereotype for people from Philippines?

    5 10.42%
  • People should be more careful throwing out accusations of racisms

    13 27.08%
  • Other

    7 14.58%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 159

Thread: Is this racism?

  1. #91
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Perfect example to what I was alluding to above. In the eyes of the offender (and supporters) its NEVER the actions of the offender that are wrong, its always that the other person is too "Sensitive" or doesn't have a "Sense of humor"....

    The problem is just that.

    Nobody really addressed my mention of this same **** towards whites.

    You think I like being lumped into a category of alcoholics (who I disdain, especially the "proud" ones) just because I am Irish?

    I neither like nor dislike such a characterization because I know it is not me, even though I am irish.

    The day that everyone stops finding **** to get offended about, and just ignores the racial bull**** that keeps getting fed to us, the sooner we will stop seeing the liberal media report on it since it is no longer sensational and then sooner we will all live on happy lives without some "word" or "characterization" (as long as its towards non whites) "offending" us.


    Until then, I will continue to be the person I am, and laugh at all these pathetic pieces of **** who require copious amounts of vagisil.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #92
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I agree that Freedom of Speech is important and that people do not have a right NOT to be offended.

    That said, it doesn't mean that people will still say racist and borderline racist things.
    Of course people will say and do racist, sexist things and whatever other '-ist' you want to add. But the situation in the OP is not one of those times. AND, some people are far too quick to judge an action to be racist, some people are terribly, TERRIBLY overly sensitive.

    I'll give you an example from yesterday. I was walking to my car from work. I park a mile away and use that 2 mile (roundtrip) walk for exercise. I walk VERY briskly. There was a group of people in front of me on the sidewalk walking extremely slowly and the way they were scattered on the sidewalk, it would have been impossible for me to pass them without being rude and kind of pushing my way through. I decided that since the road was clear, I would cross the street and keep on my brisk walk without slowing down. (I have to cross said street eventually anyway) As I do so and continue onward I hear one of them remark, "It seems white girl don't wanna walk with us colored folk."

    So, not only were they incredibly over sensitive and read waaaay too much into my actions, their comment in and of itself was racist. Did I get all pissy about it? No. Were my feelings hurt? **** no. I just recognized them as some racist, overly sensitive ****tards and carried on my merry way. Didn't even think about it again until just now.

    If you look carefully, I agreed that this statement is not "racist" per se, but I do believe that it does send off a lot of signals that the dweeb making the statement more than likely harbors racist views.
    I disagree. The comment had nothing to do with race and had everything to do with a common location. When I ask my Irish coworker if everyone in Ireland does 'xyz' because he does, it's not because I'm "racist" against Irish. It's because I'm making a ****ing joke.

    Granted, if I knew he was the type of person who was overly sensitive, I wouldn't make said joke because it just wouldn't be fun. But as it is, he's NOT, so it's fun and we all get to laugh together and it makes the work environment more enjoyable since we can all joke with one another and no one is going to get all pissy and whiny about it.

  3. #93
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    You've failed to show me how the person pointing out a coincidence between two KNOWN chicken scratchers = racism.
    Exactly what I said, the people bending over trying to justify the stupid statement are those who are willing to write off the comparison as a "mere coincidence".

    There was no reason to draw the distinction between two filipinos with bad hand writing both being filipinos. The fact that the dweeb felt the need to say it, while not overtly "racist" certainly indicates that he harbors some racist views.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #94
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    If you look carefully, I agreed that this statement is not "racist" per se, but I do believe that it does send off a lot of signals that the dweeb making the statement more than likely harbors racist views.
    Negative, no indication that he harbors racist views.

    There is an indication that he can quickly point out a coincidence in two KNOWN individuals who have chicken scratch handwriting.

    No difference in my mind than if the Fillipino he was speaking about/to had been a doctor, and the other he compared him to was a doctor and he said, "At look, your both Doctors!"

    Then would we hear about how he harbors negative views towards doctors? He hates doctors? Evil Evil Doctor hater!!
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #95
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Of course people will say and do racist, sexist things and whatever other '-ist' you want to add. But the situation in the OP is not one of those times. AND, some people are far too quick to judge an action to be racist, some people are terribly, TERRIBLY overly sensitive.

    I'll give you an example from yesterday. I was walking to my car from work. I park a mile away and use that 2 mile (roundtrip) walk for exercise. I walk VERY briskly. There was a group of people in front of me on the sidewalk walking extremely slowly and the way they were scattered on the sidewalk, it would have been impossible for me to pass them without being rude and kind of pushing my way through. I decided that since the road was clear, I would cross the street and keep on my brisk walk without slowing down. (I have to cross said street eventually anyway) As I do so and continue onward I hear one of them remark, "It seems white girl don't wanna walk with us colored folk."

    So, not only were they incredibly over sensitive and read waaaay too much into my actions, their comment in and of itself was racist. Did I get all pissy about it? No. Were my feelings hurt? **** no. I just recognized them as some racist, overly sensitive ****tards and carried on my merry way. Didn't even think about it again until just now.

    I don't disagree with you all in your statement and example here.

    and in the OP I also agree that the person's reaction was over the top in comparison to the statement that was made.

    That said....I don't see how anyone can look at the statement and say that it didn't have borderline racist undertones, without bending over and back looking for ways to justify it as just a mere "coincidence". I don't think most things are said and just happen to be a "coincidence".
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #96
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Negative, no indication that he harbors racist views.

    There is an indication that he can quickly point out a coincidence in two KNOWN individuals who have chicken scratch handwriting.

    No difference in my mind than if the Fillipino he was speaking about/to had been a doctor, and the other he compared him to was a doctor and he said, "At look, your both Doctors!"

    Then would we hear about how he harbors negative views towards doctors? He hates doctors? Evil Evil Doctor hater!!
    No...he would just be perpetuating a stereotype that all doctors have bad handwriting.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #97
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No...he would just be perpetuating a stereotype that all doctors have bad handwriting.

    Yes.

    And is this stereotype so offensive as to be worthy of getting upset about and angry and over-sensitive?




    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #98
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Yes.

    And is this stereotype so offensive as to be worthy of getting upset about and angry and over-sensitive?




    Oh...I agree. If you look at the entire thread, I agree that the reaction was extreme in relation to the comment that was made.
    Nevertheless, it was a stupid comment and the guy was a dweeb to make such a dumb comment.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #99
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Exactly what I said, the people bending over trying to justify the stupid statement are those who are willing to write off the comparison as a "mere coincidence".

    There was no reason to draw the distinction between two filipinos with bad hand writing both being filipinos. The fact that the dweeb felt the need to say it, while not overtly "racist" certainly indicates that he harbors some racist views.

    I've yet to see an explanation from your side of this debate as to WHY this indicates racist views.

    What led you to believe that he may hold racist views due to this quick witted comparison to the only other known co-worker who has ****ty hand writing?

    What, in your mind, from this story, tells you that the joke-making employee believes himself to be racially superior to others due to a comparison between two co-workers who have ****ty hand writing and also just happen to be from the same country, with no mention of "all" people from the Phillipeans, just two guys that he knows and works with.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #100
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Is this racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I've yet to see an explanation from your side of this debate as to WHY this indicates racist views.

    What led you to believe that he may hold racist views due to this quick witted comparison to the only other known co-worker who has ****ty hand writing?

    What, in your mind, from this story, tells you that the joke-making employee believes himself to be racially superior to others due to a comparison between two co-workers who have ****ty hand writing and also just happen to be from the same country, with no mention of "all" people from the Phillipeans, just two guys that he knows and works with.

    Perhaps it is obvious from the words that he chose. Rather than just say, "God your handwriting is as bad as Joes"...he deliberately chose to say, "God your handwriting is as bad as Joe and he's filipino too".
    Mere coincidence that he decided to throw that in? I highly doubt it.
    Purposefully racist? I doubt that as well.
    Indicative that the guy is more than likely a dweeb that harbors racist views?
    Certainly.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •