View Poll Results: What should be done with the Founders' ideas?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should build upon them, but not completely transform them.

    50 70.42%
  • They need to be fundamentally transformed.

    6 8.45%
  • They're dead. Who cares what they thought?

    7 9.86%
  • Other (please elaborate)

    8 11.27%
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 310

Thread: Our Founding Fathers' Ideas

  1. #101
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Our Founding Fathers' Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The ability for them to rebel was larger than it would be today, much because of our current technology around travel, considering the enemy they were fighting was several thousand miles away, separated by an ocean.

    And who is saying we should give it up?
    Then why should we change what we have?

    What purpose would it serve to amend The Constitution further?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #102
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Our Founding Fathers' Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    In short, I know the Constitution isn't perfect, but I strongly suspect it is far better than what we'd end up with, if we appointed a bunch of "modern thinkers" to write a new one.

    I'll stick with the Founders, thanks.
    Do you know of john rawls?

  3. #103
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Our Founding Fathers' Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Then why should we change what we have?

    What purpose would it serve to amend The Constitution further?
    Who is talking about amending the Constitution?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #104
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Our Founding Fathers' Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Who is talking about amending the Constitution?
    What's all the hoopla about the founding ideas and The Constitution?

    What are we debating for?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #105
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Our Founding Fathers' Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    What's all the hoopla about the founding ideas and The Constitution?

    What are we debating for?
    The flavor of the day is interpretation.

  6. #106
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Our Founding Fathers' Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    What's all the hoopla about the founding ideas and The Constitution?

    What are we debating for?
    I believe we are discussing, in this thread, the FF and Constitutional interpretation... as any thread about the founding fathers eventually moves towards. I do not believe that we are discussing amending the Constitution, though that might be an ancillary issue.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #107
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Our Founding Fathers' Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    The flavor of the day is interpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I believe we are discussing, in this thread, the FF and Constitutional interpretation... as any thread about the founding fathers eventually moves towards. I do not believe that we are discussing amending the Constitution, though that might be an ancillary issue.
    It be in English, Old English I'll grant you but what's so hard to understand?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #108
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: Our Founding Fathers' Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    Do you know of john rawls?





    Yes. So?



    Rawles is no Franklin or Jefferson.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #109
    Advisor Nymphetamine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Screwston
    Last Seen
    07-24-10 @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    463

    Re: Our Founding Fathers' Ideas

    All we can ever do is build upon the laws and ideas of yesterday. Hell, we're still building upon Greek and Roman political/educational philosophy.

  10. #110
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Our Founding Fathers' Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It be in English, Old English I'll grant you but what's so hard to understand?
    I don't find much difficulty in understanding them at all. Some people believe that they are interpreted differently, however.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •