View Poll Results: Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in all languages

    18 18.95%
  • Only in the more commonly spoken languages

    12 12.63%
  • Ballots in the United States should only be in English

    63 66.32%
  • Other, please explain

    2 2.11%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 101

Thread: Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

    My state offers ballots in:

    Additional Languages and Formats
    Choose your language:

    Chinese
    Spanish
    Cambodian
    Korean
    Laotian
    Russian
    Vietnamese

    How do you feel about this? If ballots are offered in these languages, does that discriminate against immigrants that speak different languages? Should ballots in the U.S. be offered in any language other than English?

  2. #2
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

    As much as I'd love all U.S. citizens to speak one language, that is an unreasonable expectation. Immigrants come from all over the world and their English can be very broken.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    As much as I'd love all U.S. citizens to speak one language, that is an unreasonable expectation. Immigrants come from all over the world and their English can be very broken.
    So, you think that the government should provide ballots in every single language possibly spoken by an immigrant?

    Is that practical or reasonable?

  4. #4
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    So, you think that the government should provide ballots in every single language possibly spoken by an immigrant?

    Is that practical or reasonable?
    They could at least provide them in the languages that people are likely to speak.

    Chinese
    Spanish
    Cambodian
    Korean
    Laotian
    Russian
    Vietnamese
    If those are the languages spoken by a significant number of people in your state, then that makes sense.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    They could at least provide them in the languages that people are likely to speak.



    If those are the languages spoken by a significant number of people in your state, then that makes sense.
    What about an immigrant who speaks a less common language? He/She would be marginalized. Where is the cut off?

  6. #6
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    So, you think that the government should provide ballots in every single language possibly spoken by an immigrant?

    Is that practical or reasonable?
    Yes one way or another everybody should have access to understand a ballot whether on is in your language, theres an interpreter you can go to etc. even if one has to be mailed to you.

    Yes the details need worked out but everybody that has the right to vote should get to vote and id hate to think that this would be something that stopped them from their equal right

  7. #7
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    What about an immigrant who speaks a less common language? He/She would be marginalized. Where is the cut off?
    The cutoff is in the realm of common sense. How many languages can you reasonably supply, let's say 10. Pick the 10 most likely languages to be needed. It's not a hard concept if you just put a tiny bit of thought into it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The cutoff is in the realm of common sense. How many languages can you reasonably supply, let's say 10. Pick the 10 most likely languages to be needed. It's not a hard concept if you just put a tiny bit of thought into it.
    Theoretically I'm sure that a discrimination suit could be filed. I'm speaking about fairness here. Should the fact that a new citizen comes from an obscure country be grounds to deny him a ballot in his own language. Is that concept too complicated for you to grasp, dear?

  9. #9
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    What about an immigrant who speaks a less common language? He/She would be marginalized.
    They're allowed to ask for help when voting.

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum
    Where is the cut off?
    Your state seems to strike a pretty good balance, providing ballots in all the languages that a significant number of people speak.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #10
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the government provide ballots in languages other than English?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Theoretically I'm sure that a discrimination suit could be filed. I'm speaking about fairness here. Should the fact that a new citizen comes from an obscure country be grounds to deny him a ballot in his own language. Is that concept too complicated for you to grasp, dear?
    I doubt such a lawsuit would go far. Fairness says do what you can within your ability, which is exactly what I suggested. It's a simple issue with a simple solution.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •